Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm missing something..............but I'm just wondering why anytime I see someone posting questions about track tires they are always asking about slicks?

If you're asking about tires in the first place I can tell you that you more than likely don't need full slicks on your bike.

There are plenty of different tires/brands out there that will do you just as well for a cheaper price. Now don't get me wrong here.................you don't (read DO NOT!) want to run your stock Dunslops or another typical street tire, but a set of Diablo SuperCorsa's or equivilant will do you just fine.

Even a set of scrubs off of a racer you trust will be ten times more reliable and stickier than any street tire out there....................you can trust me on this. And most racer's will sell srcubs for about 100 bucks (I sell mine to friends for 50).

To each his own...................but that's just my .02 cents.

·
Ninja Master
2,459 Posts
i use race take-off dunebuggy tires from baja 1000. cheap and wider than stock. since they run 4 of them, i always have plenty of extras.

do they fit? of course, duh. dune buggies use wider rears and narrower fronts just like the RR. is just bend the swingarm and fork to fit the particular set i get.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
I hear ya. Simonster gets carried away some times.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Hmmm...I agree and disagree at the same time. For a first timer on the track, street tires are fine. Just don't expect to go out there and try and run in the advanced class or set any track records. The first timer doesn't need to worry about buying something else to make it onto the track. If you're not having problems sliding around on the street you're certianly not going to have problems on the track. The road surface at the track offers a lot more grip then any street or road.

But I agree that track day riders do not NEED slicks and certianly shouldn't be running street tires. I don't think they have enough self control to hold back. But some people just like to run slicks so they look cool. F#@K that!! I'm running the cheapest tire I can find that offers the performance I need. For the street/track day rider the new Dunlop Qualifiers that are due out at in 2006 sound very promising. I would either go with them or the Pilot Powers for my next track day even though my 208ZR's held up just fine for my first time. I think it all boils down to the track time you're trying to run.

·
Ninja Master
2,459 Posts
what's up with people paying all that money for helmets? if you just use the packing foam you get FOR FREE with the purchase of any electronic device and duct tape it to your head, you get plenty of ventilation and a custom helmet each time!

want more style? duct tape comes in a variety of colors now!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NewRedRider said:
Hmmm...I agree and disagree at the same time. For a first timer on the track, street tires are fine.
I do agree.................but I'm also talking about saving some cash by NOT running your street tires if you're an occasional or first timer to the track.

Your street tires could get torn up out there..................a set of scrubs for around 100 bones can save you some money in the long run. Much cheaper than buying a new set of street tires for 300+.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree that slicks for your average track rider are overkill.

I'm a firm believer in learning with less grip, and gradually upgrading as your skills improve. If you start on slicks, it would be very difficult to ever find the limit and learn to safely cross the limit (slide etc.) because the limit is so high. Further, slicks are much more expensive than DOTs, and they don't last nearly as long.

That said, in capable hands slicks are fantastic. I much prefer superbike races if for no other reason than running slicks.

·
WCR Racer
1,550 Posts
Example: This kids first track day (Pocono FUSA) in the B group. Stock tires from the dealer with good tread and set track tire pressure. He passed the ability of the tires and high sided late in the day. You could see on the tire where it had passed its performance. If he had Corsa Pros or equivalent he would never had wrecked.
Conclusion: It’s better to be safe and lower your odds of wrecking for first time riders and add that extra performance tire on the bike. A $210 Corsa Pro is much cheaper than bike repairs.

As for slicks. Yes they will be more grip, but only if you can get the temperature up and keep it up. Look at a pro riders tires, Himmelsbach's slicks are deep blue and purple on the out side from excessive heat and he is using slicks on race day only. Most of the Track days he is on Corsa Pros that I have seen.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
sargeek1975 said:
I do agree.................but I'm also talking about saving some cash by NOT running your street tires if you're an occasional or first timer to the track.

Your street tires could get torn up out there..................a set of scrubs for around 100 bones can save you some money in the long run. Much cheaper than buying a new set of street tires for 300+.
Oh. I see what you're saying. And yes, I did chew the hell out of my brand new rear. I probably have a few thousand miles left in her though.

REM6A said:
Example: This kids first track day (Pocono FUSA) in the B group. Stock tires from the dealer with good tread and set track tire pressure. He passed the ability of the tires and high sided late in the day. You could see on the tire where it had passed its performance. If he had Corsa Pros or equivalent he would never had wrecked.
Conclusion: It’s better to be safe and lower your odds of wrecking for first time riders and add that extra performance tire on the bike. A $210 Corsa Pro is much cheaper than bike repairs.
I can't really buy into that theory. It's too speculative. You can high-side yourself on slicks too. Then what do you blame it on? High-sides are usually due to rider error and more common towards the later part of the sessions and at the end of the track day, when the rider is getting tired. Know when to pit!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NewRedRider said:
I can't really buy into that theory. It's too speculative. You can high-side yourself on slicks too. Then what do you blame it on? High-sides are usually due to rider error and more common towards the later part of the sessions and at the end of the track day, when the rider is getting tired. Know when to pit!

Agreed. Throttle control in a turn is paramount. Too much and it slips..........then catches and you're a goner if you can't control it. New tires or old and used...........doesn't matter.

Now a low side..................that's a different story.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My two cents are this. As soon as you get your bike, take the stock tires off and throw them in the trash! Shop around and put on a set of Diablo Corsas. They are not that expensive, they work great on the street as they heat up fairly quickly. They are wonderful on the track. Just remember, ride within your limits. If you are a beginner or even a novice racer, the Corsas will perform at level far above yours.

Slicks, leave them to the experts, they deserve the performace enhancements they provide.

Yes, throttle control is the key here. Beginner or experts, slicks or stockers, all will highside without good throttle control and NewRedRider said it, know when to pit. Pay attention to your bike as the handeling will change throught the day. And do not forget about air pressure. There is more to it than just putting on a set of tires and going racing. </End of Rant>

·
Registered
749 Posts
low sides are rider error about 90% of the time too. Its pretty simple..you just overloaded the front. Kevin Swantz said it best with "i have never seen anybody loadside a bike on the throttle"

same with highsides....you got on the throttle too hard too early.

both are rider error and a good rider can tell when HIS TIRES ARE AT THIER LIMIT!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Crash716 said:
a good rider can tell when HIS TIRES ARE AT THIER LIMIT!
Well said.

Take your time and learn to listen to your bike...It has all the answers, you just have to pay attention...Pretty deep uh?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I would like to try a set of slicks for comparison at some point next track season. I've been running Bridgestone's BT002's and love them. I'm so used to the grip, feedback and wear characteristics, that it makes me reluctant to waste pricey track days on another tire. I've heard enough positive feedback on slicks to make me want to experiment at some point though.

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
NewRedRider said:
Hmmm...I agree and disagree at the same time. For a first timer on the track, street tires are fine. Just don't expect to go out there and try and run in the advanced class or set any track records. The first timer doesn't need to worry about buying something else to make it onto the track. If you're not having problems sliding around on the street you're certianly not going to have problems on the track. The road surface at the track offers a lot more grip then any street or road. .
not always. on the street i never went fast enough to get the tires sliding around, but as a newbie on the track my street tires let go and i dropped my Aprilia Mille with 800miles on it. Street tires are for the street! Newbies do NOT need slicks...I do agree with that

·
Registered
986 Posts
i dont know about this rant, i kind of feel you need to let people learn things on their own... if a newbie wants to put slicks on their tires on their first track day, then there is honestly not going to be any repercussion to it. Why not just give them advice and help them instead of just bashing them??? i get that alot from pros for some reason. I found out quickly that even advice you get from pros, may not always apply to you (even though most of it will). I do have a horrible story about this topic, and i really wish i would have went with my gut instict on going with medium soft power races, but as everyone else said, street tires would be fine.

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
SquidKid said:
i dont know about this rant, i kind of feel you need to let people learn things on their own... if a newbie wants to put slicks on their tires on their first track day, then there is honestly not going to be any repercussion to it. Why not just give them advice and help them instead of just bashing them??? i get that alot from pros for some reason. I found out quickly that even advice you get from pros, may not always apply to you (even though most of it will). I do have a horrible story about this topic, and i really wish i would have went with my gut instict on going with medium soft power races, but as everyone else said, street tires would be fine.
like i always say, street tires are for the street....track tires are for the track (no matter your skill level)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts