Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the oil and I noticed when I run the bike hard or on the highway oil will trickle out of the oil cap down the crankcase cover (which I sprayed black and replaced). I only put about 1/4 more oil than the manual said so that the level gauge was a bit over midway point.

Is there too much oil in there or is something else going on?

· Registered
602 Posts
check the gasket on the oil filler cap...theres a rubber gasket on there that probably broke off

· Registered
923 Posts
Mine used to weep very slightly even when new - tried adding a shim to make sure the o-ring was compressed before the outer edge of the cap tighened against the casing but in the end I found a fatter o-ring to cure it.

· Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine used to weep very slightly even when new - tried adding a shim to make sure the o-ring was compressed before the outer edge of the cap tighened against the casing but in the end I found a fatter o-ring to cure it.
Ok, so I went out and bought a new OEM O-ring and the fuxing thing still leaks (much less now) a little bit of oil out the side of the oil cap. What do I need to resolve this? God forbid some flings on the rear tire while making a sharp right turn.

· Registered
270 Posts
something doesnt sound right. if you have the o ring in there and its tight as hell then no oil should be coming out. like cbrmikeymikes said you could try a fatter o ring and tighten it down a lot to make sure it's sealed. let us know if you get it fixed and how you did it.

· Registered
373 Posts
is it possible that the oil is not actually coming out of the filler hole?
I had a problem with my oil pressure switch leaking. sort of in the same area.

· Registered
923 Posts
I think the problem can be with the shape of the sealing surface of the cap - the o-ring sits in a groove, and the outer edge of this can bottom out on the casing before the o-ring is compressed enough to seal properly. So you get the cap tight but it still doesn't seal fully. Like mentioned above I'm using a fatter o-ring with mine and it's OK now.

Surprising little quality niggle for a Honda, not the only one I've had either.

· Registered
1,076 Posts
Pretty sure one of these will fix it.

Font Circle Auto part Technology Automotive tire

1 - 18 of 18 Posts