Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed this today and it's really bothering me! I've had my bike since august and just now noticed it :roll: How many people went out into the garage and checked - be honest!!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Simple....... look at your bike from the rear, and the right side rearset is further out from the centre line of the bike than the left hand side.

Therefore, the left feeler will be longer and the right shorter so that the same lean angle can be achieved on both sides before they touch down.

The right hand rearset is further out to make room for the exhaust routing up the side of the swingarm.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
High?!?! :shock:

The stock rearsets on the RR are one of the lowest in the 600 class. You can definately scrap the feelers. I wouldn't recommend doing it on the street, but on the track, if you carry enough speed into a tight turn you can easily scrape due to the amount of lean angle required to negotiate the turn...

i hate those damned feelers because they can catch on your pant legs. i've had a couple of close calls before i went to the vortex rearsets...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Be careful, there are those guys who SAY they scrape, but in reality skin them up with a dremel so they can brag. It is very difficult unless you are on an improperly banked corner (left hander thats crowned left ot right or vice versa). And if you are doing it on the street I hope you have gear on.

I scraped pegs several times on my first bike (1992 CBR 600 F2) and on my friend's Daytona before removing them, and I have ridden the RR much harder than either of those never touching once. I don't take my baby on the track though, so someone else will have vouch for that.

Its not always about the height of the pegs as much as positioning, at least as important when it comes to lean angles.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think he was saying "be careful" in general to people who may try this. :?:

lol

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I've scraped my right one several times on this one one off ramp that does a cloverleaf. Never been down that far on the left side though. However, If I just get a better body position and get off the bike more going around that same turn, I can still do the same line at the same speed without it getting near that close to the ground....could probably do it faster; remember, it's actually better to have the bike more upright as you're able to put more power to the ground.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wait a minute....

Irish, are you telling me to be careful or are you saying that I'm one of those guys?
LOL!!

No, I'm just saying be careful, don't want someone inexperienced to think they need to go out on the street and try to scrape pegs and end up road pizza.

A warning to the young folks that if they run into a goofball squid who fills them full of sh*t encouraging them to ride beyond their abilities (you know-like the guys who let the air out of their tires and ride around the block so it looks like they've been using the whole tire in corners). Those are the guys to stay away from.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
oh my bad Irish... I see what you were saying...

yeah, riding you bike to the point where the feelers scrape is something best left for the track.

either way, i would recomend replacing the factory rearsets when ever you get an opportunity. the rigid, non-folding, rearsets are much safer, and you don't catch your pant leg on those damned feelers... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
165 Posts
NP mule, I reread my post and I can understand how you got that impression, my fault. I havent had the pantleg problem. What kind are you using?

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
while we're on the subject.....why does my left nut...oh wait...never mind! :bitchslap:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I scraped the left one at a track day last month, it scared the piss out of me. The day before I was looking at them thinking " I need to remove those things" but of course I never did. I got right off the track and removed them. I would think on the street you'd have to be doing something dumb to touch them down.

GS.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts