Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering why their seems to be less interest in newer models of the CBR. I just picked one up a few days ago but before that I was doing a ton of research and it seems most people prefered the '07/'08 due to the power increase, they like the '09-'12, but dont like the '13+ because of the redisign.. I just do street riding so for me the '13 was a good fit. What are your opinions?

·
Registered
433 Posts
essentially its the exact same bike, with a minor face lift. seems to me that most people don't like looks of it compared to the 07-12. i however think its a great looking bike. i wouldn't say i prefer one over the other...but the 13+ wheels are way more appealing to me despite the added weight

·
Registered
903 Posts
As a vocal detractor of the 13+ models I'd say my chief criticism is that it's not a new bike. It is the 07-12 model with very minor mechanical changes (forks, different OEM engine tune) and a not very inspired cosmetic change. The 07-08, 9-12, & 13+ are the same bike. Dont let anyone say one has more power or better suspension or yadda, yadda, difference. They're just parroting sales PR speak in trying to sell the same bike for almost 10 years. If the '13 was a good fit for you so would the 09-13. A 2015 model would suit me just as well as my '12. The differences on the street between them all are so minor as to be irrelevant. Modded into track bikes those differences disappear altogether. It's the same bike. If you like yours congrats. While I'm not a fan of it's looks myself I'll say it does look particularly good in solid red. Nice bike.

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,960 Posts
Like stated above, I think a lot of people expected a new bike, or at least bigger changes. I have a '13 Repsol and love it, however I will say that the design can look a little dated at times due to the large fairings. I love mine though and think the front is super aggressive looking, others will disagree. It's all personal preference for design.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
803 Posts
I don't think it's because the older generations are superior, or vice versa. I think it's because the older models tend to be more commonly available in the used market, and they are less of a liability if things were to go wrong, such as being stolen or encountering an accident / damage and taking a bigger loss on the bike if it were newer. Also, liability only insurance is easier to obtain due the lower overall cost of those used 600's after paying cash outright. The cherry on the top is that the bike itself hasn't changed much over a decade, as others have mentioned.

With this said, I'll freely admit that I'm a spoiled brat for opting for a new '14. At the same time, I "assume" that I try to maintain a higher level of appreciation, respect, and care for the bike.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,723 Posts
09 with 07-08 plastics and 13 rims ftw. Lol congrats on the bike

·
Registered
479 Posts
If there is a lack of interest in the 2013+ models than I believe it is due to many factors, one of the larger factors being performance. When there are new potential motorcycle buyers, their mind set is which 2010+ sportsbike they should buy rather than which year of a partial model they should buy.

When comparing which 2010+ sportsbike they should buy, one of the major aspects is undoubtedly performance. Unfortunately 2013+ models don't have competitive ratings in performance.

I personally like the look of the 2013+ models however I only participate in buying used 07-08s mostly due to their cost. I will never buy a new motorcycle.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That seems to be in par with what I read. Being a bike for the streets, I accepted the fact that it doesn't have the numbers that other bikes have because the overall setup seems to be better for street vs track. I really like the look and feel which as u guys mentioned is all that matters to me. Plus, I love Honda bikes for build quality + reliability. Others have gotten better but if something's always treated you right, why bail? Old vs new? I have another bike as well. I plan on putting some good miles on the bike and I know too many people that beat the snot out of their sports on day 1. Buying a leftover with 0 miles just makes me feel better. I'm very mechanically inclined but its a skill I'd rather not have to use lol.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
09 with 07-08 plastics and 13 rims ftw. Lol congrats on the bike

What Why? Only difference i think is the rake was different by like .5 degrees and the 09+ models have less power.. Im with you tho on the 13+ Rims:grin2:

I got the rake info from wiki a long time ago not sure how accurate that is..

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,723 Posts
What Why? Only difference i think is the rake was different by like .5 degrees and the 09+ models have less power.. Im with you tho on the 13+ Rims:grin2:

I got the rake info from wiki a long time ago not sure how accurate that is..
Because thats what i have lol :D but if you put a zbomb it basically unlocks the "power" that the 07-08 has or you can just run the 07-08 ecu and just change a couple of pins its exactly the same bike just has different ecu settings and different lower fairings. Lol

·
Registered
940 Posts
I had an 07 in white, which I think has been the best looking 600 Honda ever put out, and now I have a 2013 Repsol. Honestly, I would be happier with the 07 if I could resurrect it but I think the latest design looks best in red then repsol as a very close second.

For a street bike it has way more than enough umph to get you to where you desire and back. I also have an 09 Yamaha R6 and it is nowhere near as comfortable on the streets by a good distance. BUT, it does have more power so it will be on the track.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I guess it is a caused by disapointment... People were expecting a mayor overhaul on the bike and Honda just gave us a new fairing... And the normal component changes everyother brand did (even less changes than other brands)

- No slipper clutch
- Same forks as any other bike from the same year
- No engine maps

And this list is huge...

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm overjoyed they haven't put electronic aids on the bike yet, but wheres the HP and slipper to compete with everyone else?

·
Registered
903 Posts
That's one of the things that makes me want to hang on to my 2012 600RR. We're all looking at the last generation of bikes that's all manual. Clutch, throttle, & brakes are all direct control. ABS is now mandatory in many places and I'll bet TC, ride by wire, etc will be on the next generation of 600's. Not that it won't also be awesome but it's nice to still have a bike that's just man & machine without the consumer electronics between you & the experience.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yeap... buy nobody is buying it... At least not as much as with previcous models.

I think & as much as I've read on the moto industry there's a couple reasons or that.

1. Credit: Most new sportbikes were/are partially financed. Dealers & manufacturers were giving away credit to anyone with a pulse very much like the housing market was. Post 2008 that tightened. The guy I got my 2012 from got it on credit. He didn't even have the down payment so the dealer set him up with different credit for that. 0 down & he rolled out on a new 600RR. 2000miles later & he realized he was in over his head & I got a deal on a practically new bike.

2. The economy. Bikes are fancy toys. There's less appetite for expensive toys for the mass consumer. People are a little tighter with their money even when they have it.

3. The cratering of the sportbike market. The average age of riders has been creeping up. Less young adults are getting into riding. The stereotype of the coddled generation isn't universally true but in some areas it is. There are a lot of risk averse young people who look at motos & have the same opinion as their moms. They're dangerous. In 80's, 90's, & early 2000's motorcycles and particularly sportbikes were a bigger part of youth culture. With the bulk of the riding population trending older the sportbike segment is more a niche of a niche sport. The numbers just aren't there. The manufacturers responded. They used to have a 2-3 year cycle of total or major redesign of sport models. Now they're stretching it 8-10 years on the 600's & 4-5 on the liter bikes with only minor tweaks & cosmetic changed. They've also seen that those with the money for sportbikes being older so they've put more effort into selling smaller numbers of high end models. Everyone now has SP & Factory versions of liter bikes to sell to middle age guys with money who were into bikes when they were younger. Also working to empty the sportbike market is the rise in popularity of other types of motorcycles. Naked sport & the retro cafe bikes have eaten into the natural youth market for sportbikes. That leaves a smaller crowd looking at new sportbikes in the showrooms. The showrooms prove it. My local dealer was a Honda shop. Early & mid 2000's you'd walk in there and see a whole aisles of brand new sportbikes. Maybe a 2 dozen 600's and half as many 1k's. All Honda. Now he's taken on Yamaha to be a two brand dealer. You go in there and there are less than a dozen sportbikes total & it's a mix between Yamahas & Hondas. Less 600's. Maybe 3 or 4 of each model at any one time with a couple used trade ins on the floor. The bulk of the place is filled up with all sorts of everything, scooters, entry level cheapies, dirt bikes, cruisers, etc.

All of those things above combined means there are a lot of used sportbikes out there that are not much different than the new ones in the shop being bought by a smaller grouo of buyers. That's why the 2013
600RR is not as popular. There are less of them being sold. A savvy buyer can find a well maintained used 600RR for a lot less and have pretty much the same bike. That's what I
did.

Eventually Honda (& others) will introduce a new 600 sport platform. Probably in late 2017 or 2018. It's pretty much known the CBR1000 will finally get it's upgrade for 2017. The 600 will follow behind that. Those will be clean sheet redesigns that they will probably plan to get many more years out of. Then there might be a slight bump in sales of new CBR's as people really go for the upgrade of an inevitably lighter, quicker, & fancy electronics laden generation.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Sorry for making you write that piece of brick... Hahahahaha

My statement was comparing sales of Yammi/Honda/Suzuki/Kawa... I haven't seen the figures but I'm sure that the current 600RR is not the top selling bike lately...

Of course comparisons with 2008 world crisis is gonna throw numbers that tell you clearly why the newest bikes are selling less, but that was not my point... I'll tyr to be more clear next time!

Don't get me wrong... as you do I like direct throttle, direct brakes, less elect. stuff (even in the car damn!)... But the market is the market and if your neighbour is puting on the christmas lights, then you prolly should be doing the same too!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts