Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These pics are taken off another forum, but I thought it was worth posting. I know Vfrrider(sp) is recovering from a broken back in a rear end crash. Watch your mirrors when cars are coming from behind and keep your brakelight on even if you can hold your bike still without the brake.

According to the thread, this guy survived and seems to be doing okay.

Description from the thread:
Jay's accident

For anyone who hasn't yet heard, Jay (Rated-R) was in a serious accident on his bike last night. It happened at about 8 at Garfield and Millar (near 17 mile). He was stopped at a red light and was rear-ended by a car going approx. 40 mph. He was thrown about 60 feet onto the hood of a car in front of him. He was taken to St. Joes hospital and later transferred to the trama center at Beaumont in Royal Oak. He is still undergoing testing, but they say he has a few possibly broken ribs, a bruised lung, a crack in his hip, and is having some internal bleeding. He is concious and talking, but is feeling really nasty. We all know what a strong guy Jay is, but keep him in your prayers and hope for a great recovery.

Jay was on his way to meet Jeff and I at Jeff's house. When he didn't show up, we knew something was wrong. Jeff went out to look for him and saw the accident and happened to have my camera phone on him. He got a couple pics, so I'm going to try to get them posted.

(Note: the pics came off a camera phone, so the quality isn't that good, but you get the idea)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Reason #1 why lanesplitting should be legal in all 50 states. Because of motorcycles small relative profile, drivers often have a harder time judging the time-distance when coming to a stop (never mind druck drivers, lunatics, etc.). By splitting to the front of a line, you greatly reduce this chance of injury. I think being rear-ended was in the Hurt study as one of ridings greatest dangers for vehicular accidents (not one vehicle accidents), right behind left-turn accidents.

I, for one will keep splitting for this very reason even if I move from California. Let the police ticket me and I will fight it and for the laws to be changed...for the safety of all motorcyclists.

Also, always keep it in gear if you are already at the front. I also had a friend get hit this way. He was lucky to escape with minor injuries.

Best of luck to the injured rider and his hopefully full and quick recovery, he is in our thoughts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I keep my eye on the mirror and have it in gear until I either see a car stop behind me or the light turns green. Glad the guy lived through that. Stupid stupid cagers.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I always try to keep an eye on my mirrors at a stop and as cars approach, I almost always tap the brake pedeal or lever a few times "See me, dammi!".

p.s. Great name, Sanchez!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
tiltedworld, not to get off on a tangent, but there is no law against pulling to one side of your lane or the other when stopped. It would prevent the same thing. Lane splitting would have little outcome when he was the first vehicle at the light.

However everyone feels about llane splitting is fine, it is your opinions, but don't think it solves many more problems than it creates in this road rage world.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts