Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
No. Its not recommended to put a wider tire then factory on these bikes. Why are you trying to get rid of them? Go do figure 8's in an empty parking lot

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
Dragging knee and getting rid of chicken strips is a RESULT, not a GOAL.

Do a trackday, then you'll be on your way to your desired result.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not worried bout getting rid of them it was just an argument a few of my friends were talking bout that it's easier to get to the edge on a wider tire. Like you'll reach the edge with alot less lean with a wider tire

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
There was a big discussion on a 180 VS a 190 tire awhile ago. What it came down to is that the 190 has more rolling resistance and from the guys who made the swap the bike did not seem to fall in corners as well as when on a 180. It was mixed results overall. Just what I pulled from my foggy memory on the subject according to what others said abut it. I've always run a 180

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
I have first hand experience running 180/55, 190/55 & 180/60 Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SC2 race tires & i can tell you exactly the differences between the 3 tires.

Baseline 180/55 SC2

This tire by far is the easiest to get to the edge among the 3 profiles as it's narrower & flatter than the other 2, it falls quicker into the turns but has less edge & acceleration grip due to a smaller contact patch so it's easier to get this tire to slide.

190/55 SC2

This tire is taller but not actually wider than the 180/55 SC2, it's more triangulated so it falls quicker into the turns, has more cornering & acceleration grip than the 180/55 so you can be pretty aggresdive with the throttle before you start to slide. Easy to get to the edge on this one.

180/60 SC2

Believe it or not this tire is the biggest among the 3, it is wider & fatter than the 190/55 SC2, it takes more effort to turn the bike into the corners due to the rounder profile but you get a lot of contact patch which means more cornering & acceleration grip, no matter how much i try to lean my bike in an attempt to drag elbiw i can't get all the way to edge, there's always about 1/4 to 1/8" of tread left unused so i'm gonna try & run a wider rim (5.75") & see if i can go all the way.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I put wider tires on my other bike and the fall-in was exceptional. However, it's an oddity as it'a 125 with a stock 100mm rear. Normally, when you install a wider tire on a narrower rim the tire will become more pointed which will give you more fall-in (for obvious reasons).

Given the wide range of tire selection available for the 600 there's no need (that I can see) to go into a wider tire. There's enough tires out there that you can choose a profile for what you like, unlike my other bike where tire selection is severely limited.

·
Registered
92 Posts
With a wider tire is it easier to get rid of the chicken strips rather a lititle bit more narrow tire?
I'm not worried bout getting rid of them it was just an argument a few of my friends were talking bout that it's easier to get to the edge on a wider tire. Like you'll reach the edge with alot less lean with a wider tire
In fact the opposite is true. Pinching a wider tire onto a (relatively narrow) wheel forces the edges of the tread surface into a steeper angle.. i.e. you would have to ride at a greater lean angle to get the edge of the tire on the ground.

Ridden at the same pace the wider tire will end up with wider chicken strips. This can be an issue, especially with multi-compound tires.. the softer rubber towards the edge of the tire will be inaccessible, as the harder rubber in the middle will lose grip before the bike can achieve the steeper lean angle forced onto it by the rim.

This was a hot topic on the Ninja 300 forums.. insecure/ignorant riders were mounting 160's and even 170's on their 4" wide wheels because they wanted it to look like a big bike. Many lives were lost. No, not really.. but those idiots were rightfully flamed for their idiocy.

Here's what your contact patch is supposed to do as you lean it farther and farther:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hmm....sounds similar to what I said...
I put wider tires on my other bike and the fall-in was exceptional. However, it's an oddity as it'a 125 with a stock 100mm rear. Normally, when you install a wider tire on a narrower rim the tire will become more pointed which will give you more fall-in (for obvious reasons).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts