Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fellas here's what happened. My wife and I went out for a early afternoon movie (MI3) here in South Atlanta. We have 3 year old and 1 year old daughters so we dont get to go out much. My wife suprised me by wanting to go on the ARRR ARRR. So I was happier than a [email protected] with a bag full of D###. We get to the theater in record time and park in a regular parking spot for a car. Here is where it gets crappy.......

We come out and get to the bike only to find a piece of wood under the stand. After closer inspection we find several scrathes (first ones) along the side of the bike and one big hole in the blacktop. I was hot!

I go back into the theater and explain to the obese manager and his group of fat teenagers and they sound unconcerned. When I call the police (hunting buddies) they take me serious and walk out and look at the damage.

It gets worse! The manager says that it isnt his fault and his ins wont pay for it! My ins was happy to help me out of course after they get their 200 dollar deductable.

Before anyone asks. It was only 73 degrees and the blacktop was brand new. 3 months old or so. No parking for motorcycles! And yes I did get in the pudgy face of the manager!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I don't think you have a leg to stand on. The only thing you could do is take this to civil court (sue the company). This falls back on the shopping cart example....a store is not responsible if one of its carts scratches your car. A business is under no obligation to provide motorcycle parking.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just talked to my ins agent and he is hot on it. Of course another hunting buddy but he is the owner of the agency here. He says that he talked to the owner of the theater and he was never told about it. I guess the manager failed to mention it to him. Well he knows now and he will have a decision for me this afternoon.

I have never made a claim on any ins since I have been driving 23 years. I never have had a speeding ticket. So this is all new to me.

·
Registered
760 Posts
hope all goes well. this is why i go no where on the bike if it will be out of my sight for extended periods. learned my lesson taking my 1000RR to the mall only to return and find some punk sitting on it. let us know what happens.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Umm, It's your fault.

New asphalt and kickstands don't get along too well. I had the same happen to my bike. At least someone stood it back up for you and put a piece of wood under it. Probably another biker.

Live and Learn

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
WherzRoony said:
Umm, It's your fault.

New asphalt and kickstands don't get along too well. I had the same happen to my bike. At least someone stood it back up for you and put a piece of wood under it. Probably another biker.

Live and Learn
Yeah I am going to have to agree here... That does suck but you should always beaware of this by sitting a flatten out can or something under your stand. Hell they even sell little foot plates, I keep one in the rear cowl.

Jason

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
You can certainly file a claim against your own insurance, but there's NO WAY you can find anyone else at fault for this.

I've got to agree with Kevin, I think you owe the theater an apology.

This is a good reason to carry a stand puck in your trunk or backpack. I do.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Don't see how you can be pissed off at the theater...
maybe the only reason to be mad at them is for being cheap when putting in a new parking lot and not putting concrete parking spaces for motorcycles.. Thats about it.

Someone was nice enough to pick your bike up.. I would never pick anyone else's bike up that was tipped over in a parking lot... Unless I know them..

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
i'm in the middle on this one... yeah we all know asphalt gets hot and kickstands sink in but then again Walmart has spots for Handicap,expecting mothers,etc... I think if he puts a little pressure on the theater they might think about motorcycle the next time.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Not trying to be a prick but why should they go to unusual measures to compensate for someone's inability to predict the inevitable? Perhaps the theatre should invoice the rider for damaging their parking lot, like you said - everyone knows the kickstand will sink in asphalt.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Don't think that having motorcycle parking places is a unusual request for a decent size business....

But thats just me I never ride my bike to places like that any how...

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
AlpineJim said:
Don't think that having motorcycle parking places is a unusual request for a decent size business....
How is it not unusual? Take the total number of medium size businesses in the US alone and sample the number that offer unique dedicated motorcycle parking and my guess is it'd be below .05% (that's SWAG but if someone can prove it wrong I'll acquiesce) - so following suit of such a low percentage isn't unusual?? Sure it is.

Will the theatre pay to have the bike repaired? No.
Will the parking lot construction company pay to have the bike repaired? No.
Will the parking lot developer pay to have dedicated bike parking created? No.

Bottom line is only one thing can conceivably affect the result of this thread:
Accepting the responsibility for not taking reasonable measures to prevent the bike from falling.

Yes, it sucks. Yes, I feel for the rider whose bike fell. Yes, it was foreseeable but maybe he didn't know any better... but for God's sake please, stand up and take responsibility for their own situation instead of looking for someone to blame. [/rant]

·
Registered
593 Posts
Definaltly not the theatres fault. You park there asuming any and all risks to damage. Just like an accident in a parking lot. Its automatically no fault. Your own ins must pay. Well at least here in kansas. Oh and also I dont believe they are required to have motorcycle parking, but it would be a good idea. Maybe someone can invent a new type of concrete that doesnt sink when hot. Maybe use it only on motorcycle parking spaces.

That or buy the .25 cent foot plastic that goes under your stand.

·
7,847 Posts
JetBlast10 said:
Not trying to be a prick but why should they go to unusual measures to compensate for someone's inability to predict the inevitable? Perhaps the theatre should invoice the rider for damaging their parking lot, like you said - everyone knows the kickstand will sink in asphalt.
Well that is going too far but so was getting up in the mgr.'s face. Call it heat of the moment. Granted, I would be furious as well but you took it out on the wrong guy.

Anyway you look at it, that sucks.

Jason

·
7,847 Posts
JetBlast10 said:
come on bro - I can go much further. I'm a crotchety old man with loads of stuff to gripe about.
Look, I think there are some kids walking on your lawn! ;)

Jason

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Here's a Big Question?

Motorcycle manufacturers know of this flaw in the design of the kick stand.

A) Why not just add another warning sticker on the kickstand for noobs, or

B) Invent a better kick stand, say one that will fold out an arm when lowered?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
JetBlast10-

I just said I dont think its a unusual REQUEST for decent size business to do this...

But then again heck most fock'n motorcycle shops/dealers don't have a large concrete pad for bikes.. or if they do just have like room for like two bikes.

On a side note... Why is everything soo freaking expensive two go see a movie... like 30 bucks to take the wife to see a movie? wtf

1 - 20 of 34 Posts