Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, before you tell me to do a search, let me tell you that I did. I came up with some answers that I was looking for but not everything that I'm looking for.

So heres the deal, I'm buying a 03 track bike and want to convert it into a street bike. The bike obviously has track plastics on it, which I'll have to remove and store in the garage for some track sessions. I searched on ebay and found the Cheetah '05 street fairing kit. Its a complete kit for an '05 but my question is will it fit on a '03? I know some parts from 05's wont fit on 03's but what if I swap out the complete body, will it fit then? And if it will or wont fit, what else will I need? Thanks and sorry for the kinda noob question.

·
Registered
787 Posts
i've heard of people converting their 03 to 05 fairings...but i don't know all the details

so i'd say its possible

·
Registered
233 Posts
i did the front end... nothing spacial . but "darkside" is right if ur trying to do the rear tail you do need the 05 subframe, battery tray, 05 seat .

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are there any visual differences between the 03/04 and the 05/06.. like if you were to look at the fairings would you be able to tell what year it is? I know the brakes and forks are different, but what about the body?

also is there anyplace where I can buy a complete 03/04 fairing kit for pretty cheap? around $700-800

·
Registered
888 Posts
i'm not 100% sure
but the mid fairings, and lower fairings are the same for all years
the front fairing is diffrent because of the ram air tubes/windscreen/running light
and for the tail section you need all the parts i copied/pasted from Butters' post

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yo. The tank, ram air covers, mids, and lowers are the same for all model years. The tail section, side covers, subframe, battery tray, exhaust heat shielding, pilot seat, front cowl, windscreen, ram air tubes, and front fender are very different. If you take the 03/04 and 05/06 side profiles and compare them you will see these differences. Go to the honda site and bring the two years side by side, you'll see these changes very clearly. Also different are the swingarm (05/06 has a slight bubble on it as well as having a revised linkage system), forks, front brake assembly, clip-ons, triples (the 05/06 look better being somewhat gullarmed instead of flat across), and the wheels are matte instead of shiny.

Also, if you are going to be changing out the entire rear section, you'll need to bin your old trunk lock mechanism and buy a new one from Honda (trip to stealership). This means that you'll have a separate key for your trunk release. Which is better than having a gaping whole and a trunk that doesn't close.

It's a bit of work, but if someone like me who hasn't never touched a bike can do it, anybody can. I know that's a cliche statement, but really, I didn't even own a set of tools before I did this.

Anyway, let me know if you need more assistance....

·
Registered
840 Posts
Is it really worth the work? Yeah, I suppose it is. I guess I just really liked my 03 Pearl Yellow. And that was probably the main reason to do it.

As far as how much everything cost me. It's hard to say. I didn't keep real good track of everything. I bought all the necessary parts for around $1100, not including shipping. Painting the new body panels to match was around $500. So around $1600. Keep in mind, I was able to recoup some of that by selling the parts that the new sh*t replaced. But again, I didn't track how much they sold for. If you are matching back to a more common color, like black, then I suppose you won't have to pay for painting. It really depends on how good a deal you can get on the 05 parts. I bought all mine used, btw.

Hope this helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts