Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story SF Weekly broke on Friday is true: California Assemblyman Tom Ammiano will announce legislation on Monday to legalize marijuana and earn $1 billion annually by taxing it.

Quintin Mecke, Ammiano's press secretary, confirmed to SF Weekly that the assemblyman's 10 a.m. Monday press conference regarding "new legislation related to the state's fiscal crisis" will broach the subject of reaping untold -- and much-needed -- wealth from the state's No. 1 cash crop.
Full article here:

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2009/02/legalize_it_ammiano_to_introdu.php

With the desperate situation in CA right now, this would be awesome! The revenue from pot would be a much needed "stimulus". A billion extra dollars is kinda hard to pass up! Legalizing it would also do a lot to ease out this winless "war on drugs". I think people have a right to experiment with recreational drugs that grow naturally, crack, meth and other processed drugs are another story.

Also since people will be high, they might not freak out so much about how fvcked our economy is :icon_lol:

Oh let it be so!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I didnt read the link...

I dont have a problem with it. However, it needs to be regulated like alcohol, I.E 21 years old.

It is a mind altering substance, but I dont think its bad, but I do know some people who I think have "smoked themselves retarded. And im not bullshitting you, they sound like they are perma stoned. its disgusting. I dont want to see a bunch of stoned people out in public, keep that **** in your house. On a different note, ill be going to cali for a trip if this happens to give the state some of my money :)

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I totally agree that it would need to be regulated, much like alcohol. We could use Amsterdam as a model, where you can go to certain places to do it or do it at home privately. Just like you cannot drive drunk, you cannot drive stoned...stuff like that.

I personally don't smoke but I have no problem with it, I don't see the big deal with it if you smoke responsibly. I had a roommate who dropped out of college and lost everything he had because of weed, so I know its potentially detrimental effects, but so does alcohol...alcohol is worse!

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sup TD. Trip was good man, I'd like to say it was relaxing but my mind was on my business since things got crazy with the darn Bridgestone tires. I'd like to go back next month, no group buys while I'm gone next time :) I'm working on some potential business there.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
+1 for legalizing. I'm not in Cali, but I would like to see marijuana legalized but regulated.

I like to smoke every once in a while. I'd like to not have to worry about getting a random drug test and losing my job for smoking with some friends on a Saturday night.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Do you have any idea how many people will be out if jobs if pot is legalized ? They would have to get off the couch , put down the game controller and go out and get a job.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ha i am so opening up a "Coffee" Shop in my town if this passes. There are so many stoners that i would be Recession proof =)

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
here is the thing about pot that people conveniently forget or never wanted to acknowledge.
1. pot does have an nagative effect on the brain, it does kill brian cells. this is proven and publish in some medical jurnel few month ago.

2. people can smoke a cigeratts and drive without their reaction time being impare, but people cannot do the same with pot. as a result, a 3000lb car now can become a deadly weapon on open road. think about it, they could be driving into a farmers markert, next to a school where children is walking. it will be imposible for the popo to determin if a driver is smoking a cigeratts or a pot from a glance.

3. smoking cigeratts do not impare your productivites at work, smoking pot will. the last thing for a employer wants is a pot head shows up to work and stare at his cube wall all day long.

those are just a few things.

bottom line is that pot is a good drug when use properly, but we know all too well that people will use and abuse this drug and the outcome is never good.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
here is the thing about pot that people conveniently forget or never wanted to acknowledge.
1. pot does have an nagative effect on the brain, it does kill brian cells. this is proven and publish in some medical jurnel few month ago.

2. people can smoke a cigeratts and drive without their reaction time being impare, but people cannot do the same with pot. as a result, a 3000lb car now can become a deadly weapon on open road. think about it, they could be driving into a farmers markert, next to a school where children is walking. it will be imposible for the popo to determin if a driver is smoking a cigeratts or a pot from a glance.

3. smoking cigeratts do not impare your productivites at work, smoking pot will. the last thing for a employer wants is a pot head shows up to work and stare at his cube wall all day long.

those are just a few things.

bottom line is that pot is a good drug when use properly, but we know all too well that people will use and abuse this drug and the outcome is never good.
Here's my take:

1.) Not true, heres an answer I found:
No, it does not kill brain cells. In fact, it has been proven to stimulate the growth of brain cells in certain regions of the brain. The human body produces natural internal cannabinoids and the brain has receptors specifically for them. See Marijuana and the Brain at http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/BRAIN.HTM
The largest study of the health effects of cannabis to date was done by Kaiser Permanente. They studied the health records of 65,000 patients over a number of years. They found no significant differences between the health histories of people who used cannabis and those who did not. http://www.druglibrary.org/crl/aging/sidney-01.html
These findings are consistent with the findings of every major government commission report that has studied the subject in the last 100 years. See Major Studies of Drugs and Drug Policy at http://druglibrary.org/schaffer/Library/studies/studies.htm

2.) Marijuana would be treated like alcohol and it would be illegal for people to drive while stoned. Its not hard to get weed now and you dont hear about stoners driving into farmers markets.

3.) Someone can go to work drunk just as easily as going to work stoned. In this economy I don't think too many people are willing to risk their jobs by going to work high.

I think the benefits far outweigh the consequences. I'm sure many people will abuse it at first if its a new thing, but I think people will learn to use it responsibly.

·
Registered
298 Posts
on the health effects side i cant remember where i read it but smoking MJ can cause respiratory problems. not even close to as bad as say a legal item such as tobacco. But the problem is there i also read that vaporizing is a clean alternative to smoke inhalation but just not as fun:toothy4:

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
But the problem is there i also read that vaporizing is a clean alternative to smoke inhalation but just not as fun:toothy4:
Ha... You ever used a vaporizer? I'll bet you wouldn't say it's not as fun if you did. Haha, mine used to get me so ripped. It's a much better buzz than smoking a bowl.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts