Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals,

Anyone in the cities (NYC) ever get dealers to match the out of state prices? It seems as though all the dealers I called are asking for the high 8K excluding tax, which is over 9K after tax.

Just ranting, why can't we get good deals like the out of state prices? Anyone know if I can show the city dealers the 7K+ price and have them match it.

Lets hear your opinion city guys/gals. I'm sure you are upset at the fact that you have to pay almost 1-2K over other areas.

Jim

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
State tax is a bxtch. Talk "Out the door" prices with people. I know in cali if u buy out of state u sstill need to pay state taxes. During the summer it's a sellers market. They know the bikes are going to go. Why sell it to you for less when the guy coming in tomorrow will give them what they want for a bike.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I've been working this same issue.

My findings (for ND, not NY) are that dealerships out of state will not charge you a tax on the motorcycle, unless you reside in that state. I contacted my local DMV and they said there are no additional costs for me to bring a new bike into ND and title and license it. I will pay my 5% (haha!!!) sales tax and my state title charge (small $15 or so) and it's a done deal.

Not, NYC, but hope that helps. I know that I'm personally looking at driving up to 1300miles to pick up a few bikes with buddies, but saving a lot of money makes it worth it to me.

H

·
0 Posts
it will depend on the dealership and the location of the bike with the lower price.. for example, i am in NJ and if i tried to show a dealership a price was say arizona they would laugh.. not if that price was from PA of NY they might be more willing to give me a better dealer.. mainly because they know that i can get the bike nearby for less...

your best bet would be to look in NJ or PA... if you are in the city then it would not be a long drive... shop around.. you will find a good price...

p.s. most dealerships will not give you their best price over the phone... you need to get in there and start talking numbers to get their best price... calling really will not get you far...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks homerjay. You are right, i guess i will have to stop by some dealerships.

I figure the best way to find out if they are willing to deal is over the phone. Dealerships are not always located in the best and most convient places. Especially when they only open one day out of the weekend.

Anymore thoughts on this issue would be appreciated.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was able to get a local dealer in the Seattle dealer to match Honda East Toledo's OTD pricing, which included shipping of the bike from Ohio to Seattle but no TTL.

Of course, I would still have to pay TTL after registering it here in WA.

Factoring in the 9.1% sales tax, my true OTD was $9,200 for a new '05. That's HUGE savings from the local going rate of MSRP + Freight/Setup + TTL, which could very well put one in the low to mid 10k range!

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
one thing to consider is out-of-state dealers from you will be willing to give you a lower price because they won't have to deal with you for any warranty work, which they don't get paid quite as much on and you won't be a headache for a recurring problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts