Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT:

Strange problem and it is not consistent at all. My RR will not redline. It goes to about 13k and then starts hesitating like it isn't getting enough fuel. It will drop down RPM then go up and continue going back and forth like that but refuses to redline.

Went on a ride today, first 4 or 5 pulls it redlined fine. Last 3 or 4 pulls it would go to 13k and start hesitating and stuttering. Doesn't make sense.

Brand new plugs just put in 3 days ago (bike has a lot more power now).

I had a problem similar to this last season...the bike would not go past 9k. And then i had a problem where it wouldn't go past 13k, it would simply stop and refuse to go any further.

To fix that problem i put REDLINE fuel system cleaner through a tank and like magic the bike would redline again! And until now it has been fine. ANY possibilities guys? Thanks, and i know this is confusing....

Please help me out :-(.

Note: Maybe it is my fuel pump? I have an extra fuel pump on hand if that is a possibility of being the case.

Thank you everyone for your help!

·
Registered
756 Posts
had a similar problem. bike would reach a certain rpm and get stuck there. got a fuel pump from ebay and its been good ever since. good luck.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I had a similar, but not the exact problem. One of my battery terminals was loose and it would vibrate at certain RPM's and not make contact.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes i think it may be the fuel pump....but i just figured out the whole "with my fiance on the back" thing was a fluke. It does it no matter who is on the bike but it is not consistent! The first couple pulls today it was fine and then started doing it again. Totally confusing!

I guess it could be a battery connector but wouldn't the lights and fuel system shut down too or something.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you have an extra fuel pump laying around I would swap it out...a fuel pump as it heats up can and will lose pressure\volume if it has a bad winding in the motor...

how did the plugs look when you pulled them??

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plugs looked like total crap. All nasty and janked up.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Are you burning oil? Sounds like possible valve seal leaking.

Bad fuel pump gives a lean mixture leaving the plugs really white and maybe a little white "hard water" looking buildup. Oil into the cylinder give a more gunk nasty black plug.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No fuel management system. Have K&N filter and two brothers pipe thats it. And the bike doesn't burn a drop of oil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can get any pics of them? Or maybe describe em a little better...coloring, "type" of gunk

starting to sound like maybe a spark related issue...does the bike break up or just fall on its face? Does the bike seem to change tone when it hits the "wall" could also be a valve float issue but would be kind of weird seeing how the first few pulls are ok, but I have seen in some cars with worn valve springs that the spring rate will actually change with engine temp...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the valves done along with the plugs at a ducati dealership locally. So i couldn't really tell you what they looked like other than that the mechanic said they looked pretty shitty. He didn't really go into detail though. The exhaust smelled like fuel before i got the plugs changed so i knew they were going bad.

The redline factor seems to be linked to how much gas i have in the tank. If i am running on a full tank it will redline, but once it drops to around half tank it will stutter around 13k.

And the bike doesnt really change tone at all. It just sort of hits the 13k or so mark and tries to pull through it but it can't quite do it. It doesn't jerk me or anything, just acts like it doesn't have the fuel to do what it wants to. And if i really stay on the gas i can get it to pull to 14k or even 15k sometimes if i am in a lower gear.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Could be a loose gas line or maybe clogged injectors. Try injector cleaner in the gas

·
Registered
112 Posts
My bike had the same problem. I swapped the fuel pump unit with one from ebay. The problem has been gone for 2 years.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So if running the FI cleaner worked last time, why haven't you tried it again? If that doesn't work I would try swaping that extra fuel pump in since that seems to be a common cause.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope i didn't check the fuel vent tube.

I did run injector cleaner through it again and it didn't help at all.

Just changed the fuel pump tonight, but its too cold to ride and i'm too tired....so news on the outcome tomorrow.

Fuel pump was off of ebay, so who knows!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ran the tank near empty because i didnt have enough room to redline it. Finally on the last bar of fuel i got some open space and tacked out second gear. Front wheel skipping across the ground all the way to 15k rpm. Woohoo!!!

Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!

Cross your fingers lets hope this pump STAYS good.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Through another 3 tanks....bike redlines and has a lot more power now to boot. ITS ALIVE!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts