Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I just had my second off in the span of 8 years of street riding. First time was when I was 17 on the highway; a lady lost control of her minivan coming on the on ramp and took me out. I walked away from that one with just road rash. Had leather/kevlar jacket on, full face lid, but no gloves and was wearing jeans and regular timberland boots which one went flying.

OK so the second time happened this month and I know little to nothing about what happened. Me and a friend were riding to pick up his girl on a local non-main street and apparently (since he was over a block ahead of me and didn't see the accident) I lost control, went over a curb and hit one of the big electric polls. I was unconscious for a day and a half, broke 4 ribs, lacerated my spleen, and i can still barely move two fingers and my right shoulder.

The bike unfortunately was damaged to a point where I didn't want to invest in fixing it so that's why you see my part out thread.

NOW (sorry for the long winded intro), I said I wasn't gong to think about riding a sport bike again, if anything i was going to go chopper/ cruiser style but as its summer here in NY, everyone is out on bikes and the more i see people :cruising: 'ing the more I want back on one. All my major friends have bikes and I put about 6-8000 miles a season on my bikes in just basic cruising / twisties and such. I've really been wanting to do a track day but never got round to them :( I'm just seriously on the fence if I should just accept that crashing/ being hurt is a part of riding, suck it up use my money from my part out and get my dream Ducati 848 or if I shouldn't ride anymore and play it safe....

Care to share your thoughts on my situation / your own crashes and what you did?

BTW I'm 25, male, no kids, still in college for Mechanical Engineering, with a decent salaried job, that I hate lol.

Thanks

James

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've not had an off so I can't comment on how I'd feel after having one. Your second one sounds pretty major n that you were lucky.

All I know is I accecpt the dangers and feel that if I had an off I'd still carry on riding (this could well change if I was to have an accident)

At the end of the day your young, will mend easily and you have no kids. So go get on that ducati! Cause there awesome

Danny

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm 24 and in school for M.E. I found some gravel a few months back and fractured my shoulder and a few bones in my hand. Nothing as serious as your wreck, but I'm in the process of rebuilding my bike. I've had a few spills on dirt as well.

I thought about getting out of riding for a while but, I decided that I am truly happy when I'm two wheelin' around and to keep at it.

At the end of the day I'd hope we all realize the risks we take to ride, we also do it because we are passionate about it.

I guess my point is, these things won't stand up by themselves and offs are something we have to be aware of.

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,287 Posts
if you get back on a bike, probably would be wise to take it to the track... much better chance of surviving the day - but of course you will do what you feel is right at that time when you get your next bike since you most likely will from your story :eek:hyeah:

i had a couple of crashes, one on the 600rr (not a bad crash, no injuries) at the track which is probably why wasn't too bad - lost confidence after but still rode --- and the other crash on my YZ250 (pretty bad crash, lucky no major damage) in the desert - after this one was a bit scary to go back on the bike. --- both crashes happened within 6 months of each other and since then have been slowly getting back to the confidence of riding as i had previous - but am riding and trying to learn from my previous mistakes, am doing so slowly but doing it :cruising: as riding is awesome!!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so far guys.

Unfortunately the Duc is out; i just looked up insurance and its over $300/month for full cover, and there's no way I'm NOT getting full cover on that bike.

Even an 07 r6 is netting me $160 mo ::WTF::
I was paying $35/month on my 03 rr for everything no collision, with collision only made it go to $80 ish.

·
Banned
2,603 Posts

·
Banned
2,603 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
why yes; yes it is :toothy4: my 08 848 Corse
OMG :love: how do you like it? I've heard the riding position on that style bike is very lent over

Read this; maybe it will help change your mind. good luck OP!

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24436
Those are some good pointers! I know i'll be on a bike again the question is, will it be a sports bike.
A loud horn good thing to advise, i think that's what i'm going to get my friend for his birthday this year.

·
7,287 Posts
Thanks so far guys.

Unfortunately the Duc is out; i just looked up insurance and its over $300/month for full cover, and there's no way I'm NOT getting full cover on that bike.

Even an 07 r6 is netting me $160 mo ::WTF::
I was paying $35/month on my 03 rr for everything no collision, with collision only made it go to $80 ish.
as to insurance, if you're in the states check out State Farm... or search around here for threads about insurance and hopefully someone can help you find something in your area

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The last time I crashed, it took me as long as it took to repair the bike to get back out. A few months.

Before that, same deal. As long as it took to repair the bike. About an hour and I was back on track for the following session.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
as to insurance, if you're in the states check out State Farm... or search around here for threads about insurance and hopefully someone can help you find something in your area
Yeah I am, NY long Island to be exact. I was using Progressive, i've had them all 6 years they've been the lowest so far, but now it just seems the Ducatti is just in another level of expensive. My car insurance on my Mercedes isn't that expensive!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The last time I crashed, it took me as long as it took to repair the bike to get back out. A few months.

Before that, same deal. As long as it took to repair the bike. About an hour and I was back on track for the following session.
:thumbup: that made me chuckle!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
In all fairness, I wasn't injured except for a couple scrapes so I can't relate to how it feels to decide to ride again after serious injury.

·
Registered
169 Posts
hey man, i recently went down a month ago, nothing serious, road rash and bruised up my knee pretty good, still waitin for the hole to heal up.. but im already riding again.. as i was able to bend my knee enough to rest on the footpeg i jumped on lol.. im taking easy though. VERY EASY.. till i build up my confidence again but other that i love riding.. so for me i would get back on..

·
7,287 Posts
Yeah I am, NY long Island to be exact. I was using Progressive, i've had them all 6 years they've been the lowest so far, but now it just seems the Ducatti is just in another level of expensive, and even the 07 r6 i was also looking iat (everyone i ride with has one ::yawn::) came in at $160 ish for full cover.
well, give state farm a try - when i was looking --- progresive and most others were a freaken joke, quotes anywhere from 2K and up for the year for full coverage... while state farm (full coverage) was about $500+ for the year, check out my post from back in the day: http://www.600rr.net/vb/showpost.php?p=1247832&postcount=1

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Im an ME too mang. Good luck with finishing it up. Never hurts to take a break. Heal up and then decide. With 4 broken ribs, you will need some time for the annoying pain to go away.

Just like kali said, State Farm is nice for bikes full coverage. I was just looking around to put my house, car and bike together and most places could beat State Farm on the house and car and then come up like 3k+ for the year on the bike. Which I pay 588 for the year for full coverage with State Farm. Def look at State Farm.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if you get back on a bike, probably would be wise to take it to the track... much better chance of surviving the day - but of course you will do what you feel is right at that time when you get your next bike since you most likely will from your story :eek:hyeah:

i had a couple of crashes, one on the 600rr (not a bad crash, no injuries) at the track which is probably why wasn't too bad - lost confidence after but still rode --- and the other crash on my YZ250 (pretty bad crash, lucky no major damage) in the desert - after this one was a bit scary to go back on the bike. --- both crashes happened within 6 months of each other and since then have been slowly getting back to the confidence of riding as i had previous - but am riding and trying to learn from my previous mistakes, am doing so slowly but doing it :cruising: as riding is awesome!!!
Im an ME too mang. Good luck with finishing it up. Never hurts to take a break. Heal up and then decide. With 4 broken ribs, you will need some time for the annoying pain to go away.

Just like kali said, State Farm is nice for bikes full coverage. I was just looking around to put my house, car and bike together and most places could beat State Farm on the house and car and then come up like 3k+ for the year on the bike. Which I pay 588 for the year for full coverage with State Farm. Def look at State Farm.
Hey thanks guys soooo much!

I just called a local rep who was awesome, and with above state min liability, full cover $1000 deducatbles on an 08 848 $77 a month #WINNING!

Considering everyone else is giving me $300+ a month I could not be happier!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hey thanks guys soooo much!

I just called a local rep who was awesome, and with above state min liability, full cover $1000 deducatbles on an 08 848 $77 a month #WINNING!

Considering everyone else is giving me $300+ a month I could not be happier!
Lol yeah saving a crap load of money is nice. I ran into the same issue the past month with my home insurance. Folks were charging 1400+ a year for it with the coverage I wanted. Then I talked to my loan company and they have insurance companies they quote thru. 741 bucks for the year with the same coverages.

Congrats!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.