Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did quite a few trackdays at Willow Springs back in the early 2000's. I really liked the track back then and I didn't have a problem driving all the way down from Los Gatos to attend them. I like the track, it's fast and seems to flow pretty well. Then someone mentioned Buttonwillow, which was cheaper and closer to the Bay Area, so I started going there. Even though IMHO it's not as good of a track.

Recently, I watched a clip of someone at Willow and the track looked like sh!t. Cracked pavement, broken curbing....Are there any plans to repave and improve the facility? Thunderhill just underwent a major renovation and the track is phenominal. Smooth pavement, large covered staging areas, landscaping....it's really nice.

I would think with the popularity of trackdays for cars and bikes these tracks would all start to improve, especially Willow Springs. There's such history there, and it's such a great track. It really needs some work.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I don't think there are any plans to fix up Willow but they need to do something about the runoff areas. I'm convinced if there were proper runoff at the track I wouldn't have broken my collarbone in May. The runoff is terrible with the hard packed dirt, rocks and drainage ditches running all over the place. The track surface is fine but it's the runoff that really kills it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think there are any plans to fix up Willow but they need to do something about the runoff areas. I'm convinced if there were proper runoff at the track I wouldn't have broken my collarbone in May. The runoff is terrible with the hard packed dirt, rocks and drainage ditches running all over the place. The track surface is fine but it's the runoff that really kills it.
Yea, I think that might have been your vid I was watching? You were way out front? The surface looked pretty cracked up. I remember it being a place you really can't run off track....it's just too rough.

It's too bad. It's one of the few (only?) tracks in Cali that has it's own race series. And like I said earlier, it's a great track with great history. Someone should step in and sponser that place like Mazda did with Seca or Infineon did with Sears Point. You wouldn't think it be a problem with it's proximity to LA and how much use it gets.

·
0 Posts

I agree. Buttonwillow suxx!!! they need to budget and fix that sh!t!

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Yea, I think that might have been your vid I was watching? You were way out front? The surface looked pretty cracked up. I remember it being a place you really can't run off track....it's just too rough.

It's too bad. It's one of the few (only?) tracks in Cali that has it's own race series. And like I said earlier, it's a great track with great history. Someone should step in and sponser that place like Mazda did with Seca or Infineon did with Sears Point. You wouldn't think it be a problem with it's proximity to LA and how much use it gets.
Yeah that was me.

The track surface isn't that bad. Toyota sponsors the track. My theory is that since the track is booked all the time the owner just doesn't want to shut it down for long enough to redo the run off since he'd be losing a lot of money.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I agree. Buttonwillow suxx!!! they need to budget and fix that sh!t!
Buttonwillow is fine in my opinion, especially compared to Streets of willow. The only problem area of interest at Buttonwillow is a few bumps in the back esses, so I am not sure why people think its so bad? It seems that both tracks would benefit greatly from owners that actually gave a damn about their surfaces though... quit with the crap patchwork and repave the damn track. The track owners make thousand upon thousands of dollars per weekend and yet nothing ever seems to get done. Buttonwilow has hands down better facilities though.. I absolutely DREAD having to use the restroom at willow springs.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I absolutely DREAD having to use the restroom at willow springs.
What, you don't like entering the House of Charmin?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah that was me.

The track surface isn't that bad. Toyota sponsors the track. My theory is that since the track is booked all the time the owner just doesn't want to shut it down for long enough to redo the run off since he'd be losing a lot of money.

1st off....you were rippin'! 2nd, you may have a good theory there. But it can't last forever and they'll have to stop and make improvements sometime.

Buttonwillow is fine in my opinion, especially compared to Streets of willow. The only problem area of interest at Buttonwillow is a few bumps in the back esses, so I am not sure why people think its so bad? It seems that both tracks would benefit greatly from owners that actually gave a damn about their surfaces though... quit with the crap patchwork and repave the damn track. The track owners make thousand upon thousands of dollars per weekend and yet nothing ever seems to get done. Buttonwilow has hands down better facilities though.. I absolutely DREAD having to use the restroom at willow springs.
Well the prices can't be beat at Butt-h*le-willow, that's for sure. But after riding Seca and T-hill it looks pretty [email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts