Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, streets of willow, or willow springs road course? Which do you all prefer and why?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
they're both good for different reasons.

Willow Springs (big track) is all about how big are your balls...going through turn 8, knee decked out, wind tossing the bike a bit, all at 145mph is a test of cojones. its not a technical track at all except the omega (T4-T6) and thats not even that difficult. Its a good track for a first trackday IMO because its really wide and you dont have to go 145 through T8 to enjoy it.

Streets is technical so its my preference. it has some speed but not 150 at the end of the front straight like the big track. Its narrower so its harder to pass, which adds to the challenge. Its real work-you'll break a serious sweat keeping the pace hot.

Streets is always my choice. The big track doesnt interest me anymore.

[<--my avatar is from streets]

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool pablo. thanx for the info.

im doing a couple trackdays at the end of the month, and i was trying to see which of the two is a better way to spend money.

guess ill go to streets. got to work a little on my lines and technical stuff anyways.

the roadcourse just looked too boring. 145 and dragging knee would be a trip though. talk about the pucker factor.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On streets, what is the difference between level II and level III. Beyond the obvious that level III is for more advanced riders. Fastrack doesnt have anymore level II slots on their website, and I'm wondering on such a short track if level II and III are really that different?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
cbrdeju said:
145 and dragging knee would be a trip though. talk about the pucker factor.
T2 is good for that too-a solid 100mh+ big sweeper (count one thousand one...till one thousand 6 or 8). Big track eats the right side of the rear tire because of T2 and T8.

cbrdeju said:
On streets, what is the difference between level II and level III. Beyond the obvious that level III is for more advanced riders. Fastrack doesnt have anymore level II slots on their website, and I'm wondering on such a short track if level II and III are really that different?.
Fastrack level I, II, III corresponds to the usual C, B, A format respectively.
Depending on who's there level III could be really, really fast. On a technical track like streets the rider speed/skill differential will be more pronounced-the faster, more skilled riders are going to be that much faster on a more technical course than a slower rider.
Level II is the B group and will have the biggest discrepancy in rider speed/skill which will include some riders that should be in C/I group but their ego makes them go into B/II, and some riders that should be in A/III group but either want to be the fast guys or are scared of mixing it up with racers.

If you're a fast B group rider you can try A/level III and get bumped down if you feel uncomfortable. If you're a slow or middle of the road B group rider I'd reconsider level III-dont take that the wrong way.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
oh yeah, and you've done buttonwillow right? BW is like a cross between big track and streets. Big track is like Riverside and the longer faster sections of BW, while streets is like the chicane and other tighter sections of BW. Thats why I like BW best...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pantablo said:
If you're a fast B group rider you can try A/level III and get bumped down if you feel uncomfortable. If you're a slow or middle of the road B group rider I'd reconsider level III-dont take that the wrong way.

no, not at all. If i remember correctly up at bw i was passing most of the guys in B group, with the exception of you and the racers who decided to run with B group. And I have gotten better/more experienced since then.

I think Ill sign up for group III and if i need to, bump down. Id rather be on the track in group III and have them bump me down if they need to than go with group I and have to argue my way up to group II or III. definetly not a group I rider, and id like to have fun all day, rather than get parked through every corner by someone new to riding. I dont think it'll be much a problem though (to run with group III), most of my passing was done in the chicane, bus stop, and turn 2 at BW. Just a little concerned about not knowing the track and slowing others up the first few laps. Ill just hang out in the back for the first few sessions.

Guess i'll just have to see when i get there.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you ever ride with fastrack? sounds like you have. are they well organized? anything i should be aware of, like control riders passing tight?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts