Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speaking of getting scared...

Is it just me or do any of you all get blown around in the wind. I know i am on the lighter side (5'8, 175) but last week it was especially windy here in Houston and I was getting blown around some on the freeway. It makes me nervous. I got blown from the left side of the lane to the right once and i was only going about 35-40.

I got on the freeway later on in the week and the wind was kinda of knocking me around a bit.

Am i doing something wrong? Should i lay as low as i can? I don't know how these racers do it. I was going 90mph tops...

·
Registered
314 Posts
nothing you can do but counter the winds, lean into them to keep yourself from goin into another lane or the ditch
i try to avoid the interstate / highways on windy days because of the crosswinds, its wideopen so the wind hits me harder
plus on a bike youre a lot lighter than in a car, so expect to get thrown around in the wind

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
You'll get used to it and learn how to stay controlled. Tucking is the easiest way to stay comfortable.

Wind doesn't bother me in any other way than flat out annoy me. From the noise to the uncomfortable resistance. 40mph gusts are another story :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Speaking of getting scared...

Is it just me or do any of you all get blown around in the wind. I know i am on the lighter side (5'8, 175) but last week it was especially windy here in Houston and I was getting blown around some on the freeway. It makes me nervous. I got blown from the left side of the lane to the right once and i was only going about 35-40.

I got on the freeway later on in the week and the wind was kinda of knocking me around a bit.

Am i doing something wrong? Should i lay as low as i can? I don't know how these racers do it. I was going 90mph tops...
there's a sudden urge to fight the wind, i know, been there...
i just try to keep myself from grabbing the handlebars too tight, kinda play with it but at the same time stay in one lane. if you grab on too tight there's always a chance you can overcompensate and get yourself into more trouble.
riding in expressways here in chicago can be a b!tch :cwm21:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
ya..getting blown all around in your lane kinda sucks, just stay loose on the bars and be super duper aware of any cars that are around you.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Wearing leathers vs. jeans helps me out. I noticed a huge difference just from that. The wind is blowing your bike a little, but it's pushing you around too, which feels weirder in my opinion. If you get tighter fitting leathers you feel more like a part of the bike and the wind will just go over you.

·
Registered
411 Posts
yea when i was up in moses lake, wa....aka middle of friggn nowhere!!....it was all 2 lane roads and always 18 wheelers going the opposite direction. plus the 30-40 mph winds, and somehow the winds alllllways seemed to be going exactly perpendicular to the road!! anyways, driving the bike in a strait line but leaned over to counter for the wind, then having an 18 wheeler pass by 3 feet to your left going the opposite direction, DEFINITLY makes for some serious over corrections!!!

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Rain scares the sh*t out of me. I still haven't ridden on wet roads yet.
Rain is nothing. It just sucks cause water gets into every little tiny spot. I won't ride in it again if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Just remember to not over compensate. If you lean too much in a gust and the wind dies down a notch you'll find yourself on the next lane before you know it..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts