Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaving for florida for a week so I put the cover over my bike and went inside to grab my lock. Upon my return I found my bike turned over by my citys strong chicago winds. Not only did it scratch up the flarings and break my turnsignal and brake light; but it also smashed into my 2005 Mustang GT. It put two big dents in it and is scratched down to the sheet metal. If I wasn't leaving for vacation I would loose my friggin mind. What also pisses me off is that I am now afraid to put the cover on my bike. All it does is act like a sail. I hope you all had a better day than me

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
That sucks, i have heard of the covers acting as "sails" as you said. well atleast you get to enjoy your vacation right.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
cody1 said:
I am leaving for florida for a week so I put the cover over my bike and went inside to grab my lock. Upon my return I found my bike turned over by my citys strong chicago winds. Not only did it scratch up the flarings and break my turnsignal and brake light; but it also smashed into my 2005 Mustang GT. It put two big dents in it and is scratched down to the sheet metal. If I wasn't leaving for vacation I would loose my friggin mind. What also pisses me off is that I am now afraid to put the cover on my bike. All it does is act like a sail. I hope you all had a better day than me
Just an FYI a bike cover is the worst thing you can put on....I know they make some really good expensive covers out there but I dont trust them. They will scratch the sh1t out of your bike or car.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Thats too bad man. I've seen a few posts about this before. I use a bike cover myself but my bike is always parked right next to my house so i've never had a problem even when its up on front and rear stands.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should I just forget about the cover and leave my bike out in the rain? How bad is it to let it get wet constantly. I would rather not but I don't want to risk having it go over again.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
sorry to hear about the bike and car, hope the vacation goes well.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Is there no way to put it inside the house/apt to prevent at least a little of the rain or wind? A tarp draped over the top of it and bungee corded down shouldn't hurt much, esp if you can angle the bike with the front of back facing the wind, or even try to face it where the wind blows from right to left on the bike so the kick stand supports it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
cody1 said:
What also pisses me off is that I am now afraid to put the cover on my bike. All it does is act like a sail. I hope you all had a better day than me

All you gotta do is wrap a bungee cord around the bike a couple of times, from top to bottom. It’ll keep the cover on snugly. I guess any rope will do.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Dr.Spank said:
Just an FYI a bike cover is the worst thing you can put on....I know they make some really good expensive covers out there but I dont trust them. They will scratch the sh1t out of your bike or car.

i concur with the doctor here. the bike cover scratched the **** out of my beautiful black bike.

however, couple coats of carnuba turtle wax in between buffing takes most of em out. PITA though.

on the other hand, i rather have my bike covered then rained on or gawked at by possible bike thiefs. (please do not say "if they wanna jack it, they'll jack it" because i'm already aware of this.)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Damn! Mother Nature is ticked off! Hurricane season is supposed to be worse this year too. On a car note: my mom was down here two weekends ago and traded her 350Z for an '06 Maxima. Finally took it back to TN last weekend. Calls me today to tell me she drove threw a hail storm so bad it looked like a blizzard and her brand spankin' new car now has about 1000 dings it from the hail (aka Hammer Shizzle)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice the vacation was great. I live downtown chicago so I can't put it inside anywhere. I was thinking of bunjee cord the bike to a railing/fence that it is parked next to. That way I can put a cover on it and tie it down. I still am aprehensive about putting the cover back on after my little mishap. Also where can I get and how much would a replacement front flaring be for an 03. Any help would be great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts