Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a Condo and have to park my bike out in a communal parking lot. I am bit concerned about wind knocking my shiney new motorcycle over. Should I be worried? Are there any tricks some of you experienced guys know to keep it from being pushed over by the wind? I thought about tieing it down....but there isn't really a good spot for me to do that. I can't put my bike on the grass or my Condo association will fine me $$. So, how should I store it?...safe from the wind?

·
Registered
936 Posts
you should be worried. A powerful enough wind will knock your bike down. Park your bike in a place that is protected from the wind as much as you can. Also if you use a cover be aware that it increases your chances of the wind knocking your bike down.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Try to park it at a friend's garage or their backyard. What's worse than the wind or any weather condition? Theft! I don't trust anybody and it's too easy for 2 guys to steal the bike or one nut in the parking lot to knock it over. :x

·
Registered
704 Posts
cool SN! i love me some welches grape soda!

i would DEFINATLY find a safeplace to park it. What kind of condo makes you park outside bro? thats fuarked up if you ask me.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Man, you need some powerful ass winds to knock your ride over. We regularly get 30-40 mph winds and it's not going over in those. If its blowing much harder than that, get it inside or at least behind some shelter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the input guys. Currently I park it next to my truck but I have to take that to work. I was thinking of maybe a bike stand....one of the rear tire stands, but I am not sure if that will make things more or less stable?

I donno, my hope was that some genius invented some nifty device that holds it up in high wind. My biggest worry is if a strong thunderstorm rolls in while I am away at work :(

·
Registered
391 Posts
GrapeSoda said:
I donno, my hope was that some genius invented some nifty device that holds it up in high wind. My biggest worry is if a strong thunderstorm rolls in while I am away at work :(
A bike brace will take care of this for you. Its like a wheel chock thats bolted into the ground.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i had the same problem with my condo and just said F it and rented a 10X10 public storage unit... kind of sucks but will have to work untill I have a garage...

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Here's a cheaper alternative if you can get away from it. Drill into the concrete or asphalt and put in some anchors with tie down points. Then you can tie the bike down to the concrete just as you would in your truck bed or trailer like you were transporting it. That would keep it secure.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Dude a gust of wind going over the nation called "Cycle theft" should be your biggest worry. Only it doesn't knock your bike over.....it will knock it off. You will not find a trace of it.

Seriously i would be too nervous to leave my ride outside in a community while I went to work

That being said wouldn't a Pitbull or similar stand help keep it a little more sturdy

·
Registered
45 Posts
corner worker said:
Feirax said:
I use one of these babies to protect my bike.. :D http://www.cycleshell.com/ Worth every penny..
For the price of that cycle shell, you could buy a shed large enough to store your bike, tools and do your own maintainance. Those things are a HUGE waste of $$ IMHO.
not everyone has a house.. I've had mine at 2 different apartments and now use it at my house.. and i have 2 sheds.. shell is much easier to use, moveable and protects the bike from wind/dust/rain etc..

-F

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am curious how much wind a cycleshell will protect you from? I am worried about the 50-60mph wind gusts that sometimes come with thunderstorms.....

I do worry a bit about theft but I kinda live out in the woods in a small condo complex full of old people.....who probably think I am Satan for having a motorcycle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've had it for 3 years and have had no problem with MA wind and i've never had when keeping a bike in it over the winter. I did have problems this past winter when I had it up with no bike in it.. I forgot to clear some snow off it and it broke the fiberglass rods.. doh. with a bike in there it probably would have just sank down to the bike and wouldn't have been as big a deal. I called up Mark from cycle shell and he sent me new parts for FREE! Also, u can use pad locks to keep it closed if you're concerned about theft.

Its made with 1/4 fiberglass rods, like u'd find in a normal tent, just heavier duty. It weighs like 70lbs, but folds up flat and easy to move around. I like it because it never touches the bike, keeps dust and dirt from getting blown up onto the bike like normal covers and is so quick and easy to use. :) Originally i'd been turned off by the price but i was tired of my bike getting blown over or getting dirty or scratched using just a normal cover. The peace of mind it offers is worth it. As long as u plan on using it for a few years it'll definately pay for itself.

-F

·
Registered
647 Posts
I dont know if its possible but if you have a patio and can make a gate onto it, do it. I did and it was great. I could just pull my bike up into it with a little board ramp. There is your living room if you dont live upstairs but upstairs would take out the patio thing too. Good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts