Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question time...you know the bolts that hold your windscreen in? I'm pretty certain those little suckers are made of plastic since when i went to take my fairings off last night i noticed they were mangled from when the dealership had to replace my broken speedo. I was wondering if any of you guys have switched to some aluminum bolts or stainless steel ones so you don't have to worry about replacing a plastic bolt every other track day.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
yeah they are...and they SUCK BALLS! I'm pretty sure that Puig Screens come with replacement metal screws.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
i've got a set of ss bolts holding my zg db on my track bodywork. you can order them through nick and the guys at ridersinc.

just a word of warning before you make the switch, there is a reason they made the bolts out of plastic. the bolts acts as a fatigue point during a crash. they designed the bolts to break to reduced damage to the windscreen or upper fairing...

·
Ninja Master
2,459 Posts
yup. when i lowsided recently, 3 of the screws sheered clean off, but my zg db and upper didn't crack/tear at all. i bought replacement plastic ones from the dealer again!

·
Registered
46 Posts
mule-madness said:
that's just a matter of using the right tool for the right job... make sure you have the right size screwdriver and that you're always applying down force to the screw... ;-)
Yeah, and don't overtorque it. I broke the head off one of the suckers screwing in my new windscreen. I thought I was superman until I noticed the were made of plastic :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
westhondapons600rr said:
And if you're not careful, you can chew the hell out of the heads with a screwdriver.
That's exactly what the mechanics at the dealership did. There's a mangled mess of screw heads connected to my windscreen now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mr pink uk said:
replacment ones ar so cheep anyway, there £2 for a pack of ten over here.
Thats about $3 for you guys i think
I just called around to various dealerships in the area and they said the bolts (plastic ones) cost about $1.50 PER bolt, say what?!?! :shock: For a pack of 10 thats 15 bucks not including tax!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah, I was replacing my windscreen and saw that the dealer stripped half of them putting them on. So, I had to destroy them to get them out and replaced them with some black aluminum screws from kneedraggers.com They were a little expensive but much better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts