Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any of you guys on board here do much winter riding??? any tips regarding it? i see that alot of you guys on here are from up north and i was wondering how you guys weather the cold cold weather that is coming upon us...:wave:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'll ride as long as it's above 35*F and there's no snow/ice or a lot of salt/sand on the ground. You just have to take it slow and keep in mind that there will be less grip in some areas. Also keep in mind that it will take longer for the tires to heat up and they will cool down much faster.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm so glad winter down here is 60*F. :D
:evil3::puke::bitch_ple:all_cohol:director:

Go ahead and rub it in :cwm21:

Must be nice....

I know I have to take it slow.... My hands just refuse to stay warm for some reason, no matter what I wear. :cwm21:

D

·
0 Posts
:evil3::puke::bitch_ple:all_cohol:director:

Go ahead and rub it in :cwm21:

Must be nice....

I know I have to take it slow.... My hands just refuse to stay warm for some reason, no matter what I wear. :cwm21:
Hehe. Have you tried heated gloves?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I cannot ride even if I wanted to, it gets so cold without even any snow here. I cannot imagine riding even in 35F. Besides once it starts snowing you can forget about clean roads, not to mention pot holes created by snow ploughs

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bike goes away in oct. and the snowboard comes out to take over my life for the winter.... kinda sad but I cant get enough snowboarding

·
Registered
856 Posts
any of you guys on board here do much winter riding??? any tips regarding it? i see that alot of you guys on here are from up north and i was wondering how you guys weather the cold cold weather that is coming upon us...:wave:
I usually just throw on a sweatshit with my leather jacket over it, and long underwear. I ride pretty much until it snows/sleets. Even then if the roads are clear I'm usually out pretty quick after it melts.

I just keep an eye out for sand in the corners/intersections and salt. And as they mentioned above take it easy until the tires warm up. Just remember the painted lines ( cross walk lines/street dividers etc.. ) will be extra slick too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
all you floridians rub it in..... lucky bastids!

i havent tried heat-treated gloves but i might invest. i wish i could be riding tonite to class but all this ******* rain from Fay. **** hurricans and tropical storms to the darkest pits of hell.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I usually just throw on a sweatshit with my leather jacket over it, and long underwear. I ride pretty much until it snows/sleets. Even then if the roads are clear I'm usually out pretty quick after it melts.

I just keep an eye out for sand in the corners/intersections and salt. And as they mentioned above take it easy until the tires warm up. Just remember the painted lines ( cross walk lines/street dividers etc.. ) will be extra slick too.

aint that the truth about them lines on the road.... :director: i have about low-sided numerous times in the past going over lines on the pavement. :cwm21:

D

·
0 Posts
all you floridians rub it in..... lucky bastids!

i havent tried heat-treated gloves but i might invest. i wish i could be riding tonite to class but all this ******* rain from Fay. **** hurricans and tropical storms to the darkest pits of hell.
Yay warm Florida. 85*, 79% humidity, and thunderstorm warnings at the moment, lol.

Heated gloves should help a lot. I used to wear some when racing BMX in other states and it always made being outside in 30* tolerable to me, and I think 60* is ******* freezing.

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
Upstate New York and PA both get cold, but I've never ridden in that type of weather, I've ridden in cold temps, but never snow or ice or anything.

I use long sleeve UA Cold Gear and a facemask. For pants, I use Burton Insulated SNowboard pants.

Granted, I've only done it like twice, and just used that stuff because thats what I had lying in my locker.

Biggest tip is that you need to take your time, because as previously stated, the rubber has less grip because its firmer, and depending on temp, may not rise much even after some riding.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Definitly true^^^^^^^

once i went for a 45 min ride to my school, when i got there i touched my tires and they were not even warm lol it was like 28 degrees outside everybody in my classes were like urf**king crazy man

·
Registered
349 Posts
It often drops to almost 50F in SoCal... in the middle of the night... at the dead of winter. BRRR!!

I suggest thicker gloved and maybe I'll put in the liner to my jacket for night riding. It's normally 65 during the day. I sweat if I wear the jacket liner during daylight.

Weather Link for Redondo Beach, CA

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
It often drops to almost 50F in SoCal... in the middle of the night... at the dead of winter. BRRR!!

I suggest thicker gloved and maybe I'll put in the liner to my jacket for night riding. It's normally 65 during the day. I sweat if I wear the jacket liner during daylight.

Weather Link for Redondo Beach, CA
Fuckin bastard. im still in the 100s

·
Registered
349 Posts
Fuckin bastard. im still in the 100s
Yeah, that's tough. I spent a summer internship in Phoenix. I arrived in like June, and I thought it wasn't so bad; 90F and no humidity doesn't hurt at all. I didn't expect it'd get to 115F!

I had no AC in my truck, so I'd roll down my windows and drive on the freeway to get home in the afternoons. It was like sitting inside a blow dryer.

I'll be in Phoenix this holiday weekend to visit my sister. It'll be the first rain that I've seen in almost half a year.

BTW, people start bitching and buying portable AC units when it hits 85F around here. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I ride everyday year round here in north Georgia. We definitely don't get the harsh winters like I used to get up in northern and central Illinois, but it does get pretty chilly. Rarely ever any snow though, which is nice! The coldest I rode in this past winter was 12 degrees F with the windchill. I will say this.... heated grips are the M-F'ing BOMB!!! I have them on my F4i they they were a true lifesaver this past winter. Believe me they make a world of difference. I haven't tried them yet but heated gloves would probably work even better than the grips, but still the grips work very well, and they're only $30 at Cycle Gear. Of course you need some nice thick insulated gloves to go with them, but you're hands will stay pretty damn toasty with a good glove and grip setup.

As for the rest.... I wear my Teknic full leather suit, with thermals underneath (top and bottom), and a sweater or sweatshirt under the jacket. My legs always stayed perfectly warm with just the leather pants, a pair of regular pants (uniform pants for work) and thermals underneath. You can also get heated vests and jackets too which are VERY nice!

For the head..... I wear one of these Turtle Fur head sock thingys ( http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=3&L2=14&L3=&L4=&item=TFC_13201&tier2=103 ) , along with a 2nd balaclava over it. What I did was take a long strip of adhesive Velcro, and put it around the entire front half of the helmet right down at the bottom edge. I put on the head sock, then the 2nd balaclava and tuck them both in the jacket. Then put on the helmet and pull the top edge of the balaclava and stick it to the velcro around the helmet, covering the big hole between your chin and the helmet, which keeps the wind from coming up and blowing on your face. This sucks though if you wear glasses, cuz your breath will fog them up in no time. I also use a Fogcity anti-fog visor insert (which also tints in bright light and goes clear at night)

That's about it for my setup... seemed to work pretty good for me, though it could be better. I do want to get the heated gloves and vest... just not in the budget right now

After you get all the gear, you just gotta watch out for that friggin black ice.... ugh!!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If its really cold, tires will NOT warm up. Dress in as many layer as you can stand. Any exposed skin will be found by the wind and frostbite sets in fast. I ride in snow ,ice and salt. But I run studded tires on a DRZ400 S in the winter.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts