Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Orderd my checked flag motorsports stands last week. Waiting for that then doing an oil change and putting my bike away for the winter in my garage. I live in Newton, MA and was wondering what others do when it comes to insurance coverage over the winter season? Most of my friends just keep thier regular coverage on their bikes, I just think its a waste since I dont ride it and dont plan on riding it till about April. Any tips/suggestions as what type of coverage to get, not sure what the proper terms are. I have commerce insurance.

Thanks
jt

·
Registered
194 Posts
hey maybe we could go riding sometimes, i'm in needham. these hondas are well made & last winter i didnt even have bike stands & all i did was put dry gas in it & it was fine. as long as u start her up once every 2 weeks or so & roll the wheels it'll be fine. i didnt even tenderize the battery. as far as insurance goes i just kept mine on but some of my buddies cancelled it & renewed in the spring to save a couple of hundred. as long as u have a garage, it should be fine without insurance but if something happens to your garage then the bike will not be covered, so it's really up to u. coverage? its all full coverage when it comes to bikes, its slightly different from a car

·
Registered
638 Posts
Lower your insurance to liability only but have comprehensive added on. This way if it falls over or gets stolen while in storage you'll be covered. That is what I do. I only pay 24.50 a month during the winter for liability plus comprehensive.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've been trying to decide what to do with my insurance. I thought about dropping it. I keep my RR in a heated/cooled garage. My home owners insurance will cover theft/fire. Don't know about if it falls over, though........

·
Registered
638 Posts
Home Owners doesn't cover vehicles in a garage where I am from. You might want to check into that, I'm no expert though but I used to think the same so I asked they said no.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im from Acton, MA and Im taking my insurance off probably this week. Im storing the bike at my buddies garage so there is really no need for insurance and there is no crime here. This way I can save liek $200 and be that much closer to an exhaust :)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
i just leave my insurance on just in case something happens...i store it on plywood that sits on top of patio blocks in a shed and i will still roll it around every couple weeks...pull the battery and put it on the tender a couple times over the winter...fill the tank and add the fuel stabalizer

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=61060&highlight=winter+starting

PaikyPoo said:
just a few more notes...

1) make sure it has a full tank of gas. if not, u could create condensation inside the tank which will lead to corrosion which needless to say is bad for a fuel injected bike.

2) startin it up in the winter may cause condensation on the headers which will also rust.

3) adding stabil to the gas is a very good idea as noted above.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
i just have liability. In your case i would go with that or just cancel it completely. the only thing is if you cancel it, it might be more expensive later. but i don't know how that works, just an idea.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My insurance company said they will just drop me to liability for the winter and that will be pretty cheap. Thats pretty good considering the winter we had last year. Cuz if this winters the same I can just go ride for the day no questions asked. I'm from Arlington MA btw.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice, I picked up my 06 RR from Greater Boston Motorsports in Arlington. Gotta go there this week to get some oil and filter. We'll have a nice weekend and plan on riding this weekend then putting her away. I'm still waiting for my stands.

·
Registered
12 Posts
jtboston said:
Nice, I picked up my 06 RR from Greater Boston Motorsports in Arlington. Gotta go there this week to get some oil and filter. We'll have a nice weekend and plan on riding this weekend then putting her away. I'm still waiting for my stands.
Thats where I got mine too, it's like a mile from my house. They hooked me up since me and my brother both bought 06 RR's and my father bought an 06 shadow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts