Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have underground parking at my apt complex that is heated. Do
i have to use the same prosedure to store the bike even though the garage is heated?
what is the reason for for storage? is it because of temp outside,
or because the bike wont be used?
could i just take a couple of laps in the garage like onec a week.
the garage has like 75 cars so it is pretty big thx

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Well the gas goes bad after a while. It starts smelling like laquer thinner. So you would want to run a few tanks through it, or just put sta-bil in it.

Also a battery that isn't used for a long time can grow weak.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
yeah, +1....it's not running it that causes the problems. It being heated will help. When i went without sta-bill one winter it was in a heated garage and it did fire at the end of the winter, but it smelled like crap and I had to empty and clean out the tank, put two tanks of new gas through it and run some carb cleaner in it before it ran ok. If it was out in the cold, i probablly would have had to tear the carbs down.

Putting fuel stabilizer in is cheep insurance, and a battery tender will pay for itself in two years.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much. My garage is heated too...last winter with my carbed F2, I just started it up on the weekends and let her come up to temp and run for a bit...I also live in MN where it gets really ******* cold. I just got a 600rr as well and I will probably do the same thing this winter; start em up and let em run for a few minutes. I really wouldn't worry with the fuel injection on the RR. good luck.

-nate

·
Registered
405 Posts
just a few more notes...

1) just running the bike at idle won't recharge the battery. if u plan on just starting it up, u should rev it to at least 2500rpms, or ride around the block a few times.
2) make sure it has a full tank of gas. if not, u could create condensation inside the tank which will lead to corrosion which needless to say is bad for a fuel injected bike.
3) startin it up in the winter may cause condensation on the headers which will also rust.
4) make sure u don't overheat the bike at idle.
5) adding stabil to the gas is a very good idea as noted above.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Has anyone read all the steps they tell you to do in the manual. I've never actually had an owners manual for a bike, but I was nothing short of blown away by the list of things Honda Recommends. Normally I have just fuel stabilizer and trickle charge the battery. But they've got you pulling the spark plugs, doing something with the tank the wires putting duel in the spark plug openings. This is off of memory from about 3 weeks ago so I could be off slightly but the list had me in shock eitherway.

Does anyone actually do exactly what honda recommends?

·
Registered
708 Posts
It's a type of battery charger. We use them as a kid on anything that was seasonal. Our lawn tractor, motorcycles, boats, even the summer car. I am no mechanic by any means, but in a nutshell it helps to keep your battery conditioned by sending a low level maintenance charge. Heck they even have solar powered ones now. Might not work to well in an underground garage though.

·
Registered
513 Posts
#1) fill the tank and add stabil,etc. #2) run the bike up to temp (10-15 minutes of city riding) #3) FI bikes , fuel is done ; carbs , drain carbs [ ( make sure petcock is in off position or not on prime depending on machine ) then start bike with full choke and full throttle . attempt untill bike no longer will fire ] #4 change oil and filter (do not restart the bike after this) #5 remove spark plugs and drop appx teaspoon of oil or spray fogging oil into cylinders and crank engine over a few revolutions to distribute oil (by hand or eletric start if bike will crank with kill switch in off position ) #6 disconnect battery and charge : store at house temp with battery tender hooked up or charge every three weeks #7 get the wheels off the ground/ put on stands #8 clean the bike and cover it #9 don't start the poor thing untill you can ride it to the point that it will get up to FULL operating temp for a good while ( around the block doesn't cut it ) #10 winter sucks , so repeat step 8 as often as you want and also add some nice mods for spring . if anyone thinks i'm full of it , cite which step and i'll explain the reason . btw , this is for warm or cold storage .

·
Registered
177 Posts
#1) fill the tank and add stabil,etc. #2) run the bike up to temp (10-15 minutes of city riding) #3) FI bikes , fuel is done ; carbs , drain carbs [ ( make sure petcock is in off position or not on prime depending on machine ) then start bike with full choke and full throttle . attempt untill bike no longer will fire ] #4 change oil and filter (do not restart the bike after this) #5 remove spark plugs and drop appx teaspoon of oil or spray fogging oil into cylinders and crank engine over a few revolutions to distribute oil (by hand or eletric start if bike will crank with kill switch in off position ) #6 disconnect battery and charge : store at house temp with battery tender hooked up or charge every three weeks #7 get the wheels off the ground/ put on stands #8 clean the bike and cover it #9 don't start the poor thing untill you can ride it to the point that it will get up to FULL operating temp for a good while ( around the block doesn't cut it ) #10 winter sucks , so repeat step 8 as often as you want and also add some nice mods for spring . if anyone thinks i'm full of it , cite which step and i'll explain the reason . btw , this is for warm or cold storage .
this proved to be quite helpful...

thanks!

joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts