Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well like the title says... with the economy going to hell are new / used bike prices going to go up or go down... Im looking to buy used around $7000 but you think a dealer will work with me on a left over 08' cause the economy or what?

Basically... will bikes be cheaper or more expensive in the near future

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hmm hard question to answer... It probable depends on the dealership and how they are doing financially since this mess has happened. Greed can be a bitch. I would think the best way you can find a bike is to look around the for sale's sections on alot of motorcycle sites along with craigs list. Or do you not want to travel?

·
Registered
403 Posts
doubt that dealers would sell their bikes for cheap, if they end up closing some other dealer will take on their inventory. leftover 08 would prob still sell for $8300-$8500otd next year. search around you might get lucky..

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
It really depends on a lot of things. One thing is that rates will prob go down to entice lending. Then again lending is stricter now.
There are losses all across the board right now, manufacturers, dealers etc. have to recoup those losses somehow. IMHO I think prices will be the same if not drop slightly. Regardless of what is going on right now, supply and demand is key.
If we demand it and they have a supply, there is no reason to adjust overall prices. Sometimes, people will raise prices. Take for example the Wii Fit. They retail for $89.99. You can get one on eBay for $140.00. S&D.
The majority of street bike purchasers are your young 19-27 year olds (guessing of course), therefore they do not have a lot of financial responsibilities like most older Americans do. Wait and see how things go.
Think long term investing. And maybe a little bit of short selling. Then again I am talking out of my ass. Or am I?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if i find a 07/08 for 7k with low mileage, its biscuits for me. Exactly what im looking for. That or a 06+ gsxr600.

·
need a 1krr
1,088 Posts
I would beg to differ that most sportbike owners dont have other financial commitments. School loans, new/used cars, trying to get a house, credit card debts from college, car repairs, job losses, savings being skimmed away from... I think the dealers will still be tough to steal from, but the private sector will see a drop in prices... of course, with all of the people not able to put down much money on bikes now you may see that there aren't a lot of extra bikes out there because nobody has their bikes paid down enough to be able to get out from under them. Overall tho, there should be some killer deals showing up somewhere... and a lot of banks with motorcycles in their parking lot for sale or going to the auction.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I would beg to differ that most sportbike owners dont have other financial commitments. School loans, new/used cars, trying to get a house, credit card debts from college, car repairs, job losses, savings being skimmed away from... I think the dealers will still be tough to steal from, but the private sector will see a drop in prices... of course, with all of the people not able to put down much money on bikes now you may see that there aren't a lot of extra bikes out there because nobody has their bikes paid down enough to be able to get out from under them. Overall tho, there should be some killer deals showing up somewhere... and a lot of banks with motorcycles in their parking lot for sale or going to the auction.
Thats why I said a lot of other financial responsibilities. I remember when I was young (student loans, car note, child support) Now its all that plus renters insurance, vehicle insurance, rent and all that good stuff you pay for when you are on you are married on your own with a kid on the way. And I just sold my home. How many 19 year olds own their home. The older we get the bigger our financial responsibilities get. But anyhoo this is going OT so good night.

·
need a 1krr
1,088 Posts
^^^ ya I took your 19-27 as a range, not just the 19 yr olds. I don't own my own home (24 fyi) but rent is almost as much! A few of my friends who are 19-24 are married and own their own home though. I'm just going off of the statistics that show that from 18 on the average person has more disposable (or money to save) for every year older they get. Just went over this in my finance class and my marketing class. Not everyone fits into that category, but supposedly the majority of Americans do. Sorry for OT, Im done too.

There will be deals, especially as fall goes on and winter sets in... keep your eyes out!

·
Registered
159 Posts
i doubt it to be honest, cost of materials, shipping, etc still expensive as crap. so manufacturers aren't going to reduce price. as far as dealers it depends on how much they make off a bike. best bet would be to buy privately since some people will be willing to part with their bikes for less due to financial constraints.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Aluminum and other metals are more expensive. Oil is more expensive. Inflation is on the rise. Doubt the dealership will go down with their prices. I think they will go up by a little.
Look for a low mile used one. Someone will be desperate to get rid of it and you can be there to "save them"!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Dealership will not bargain..period. They are selling too many bikes...your best bet is to look used from personal adds, such as CL...that place is great for bargain hunting.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
CL FTW.

Too bad your not in the NW.

With said economy being poo, and the Lazy Bee(Boeing) being on strike, there are some hard up mo-fo's every now and then. I've been kickin around the idea of getting a snowmobile cause of that.
I figure I could probably lean one over a little, feed the need in the winter.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
IMO new will continue to rise... Materials continue to rise, regulations continue to tighten and that will cause the cost of manufacturing to continue to rise.

Used I think will continue to drop due to the financial bind people are in. I know a lot of people are out of jobs and are having major problems finding new jobs. therefore they are having to decide which things in life they need and selling everything else.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If they were made in the US they might stay the same. But since they are imported, and the value of the dollar is tanking compared to foreign currencies you should expect the price of everything imported to go up. Even things that are made in the US, but from parts that are imported, will also go up in price.

That's basically what a "bad economy" means. The word "economy" basically means balance. In times of poor ecomony the balance is shifted, and the same amount of currency can't buy the same amount of goods/services compared relative to times of good economy. In short, everything costs more, so people save, which decreases manufacturing, etc etc etc.

Price of bikes will go up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts