Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I powdercoated my rearsets and shift linkage and after reinstalling them noticed the shifting was really rough. Started the bike and when I shifted from neutral to 1st it was really rough and killed the engine. Now i can only shift from like 1st to 2nd and no higher. And my bike wont start. Any Ideas, just looking for a place to start.

Im thinking when removing/installing the linkage i may have overcranked on something, in which case, where should i begin.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
installing rearsets/shift linkage has nothing to do with killing the engine. check your connection to the kickstand maybe

·
Registered
120 Posts
Did you disassemble the rearsets before they were powdercoated? If not, the powder seeps in between the moving pieces and binds them up. You need to remove any excess paint between the moving pieces. Then follow the service manual when reinstallin everything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
installing rearsets/shift linkage has nothing to do with killing the engine. check your connection to the kickstand maybe
It has something to do with the shift linkage, cause like is said, initially it started up, then i shifted, it clunked and killed the engine immediately, now it will not start/begin to turn over or anything. not sure if i bent something inside the housing when i was tightening the bolts on the shift linkage. a stupid oversight on my part if thats the case

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I think you are implying causality that may not exist. It sounds like the bike thinks it's in gear. I would double check the kickstand switch (possibly bypass it in case it is faulty). I would then re-install the shift linkage.

Is this a stock linkage? I know with Gilles, if you don't line it up right, it won't shift as you have described.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you disassemble the rearsets before they were powdercoated? If not, the powder seeps in between the moving pieces and binds them up. You need to remove any excess paint between the moving pieces. Then follow the service manual when reinstallin everything.
Yea, i took it all apart, nothings bound up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you are implying causality that may not exist. It sounds like the bike thinks it's in gear. I would double check the kickstand switch (possibly bypass it in case it is faulty). I would then re-install the shift linkage.

Is this a stock linkage? I know with Gilles, if you don't line it up right, it won't shift as you have described.
Its the stock linkage, when i go to start it, i hear the starter clicking it just doesnt turn the engine..Ive tried readjusting the linkage and itll move between a gear or two, but then when i try to shift up 1 more gear the linkage moves then clunks like something is blocking it from moving into the gear rather than sliding into the gear.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You try putting the bike back in neutral? Is it still in gear? I hear the same clunk on any bike I have ever owned. It's because the gearbox and clutch are not syncronized. If you held the clutch in for about 5 seconds, it minimizes the clunk if not making it a simple click. If you wait too long, rotation will stop and if will not go back in gear and you'll have to release the clutch lever slightly to get things spinning again the then put it in gear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You try putting the bike back in neutral? Is it still in gear? I hear the same clunk on any bike I have ever owned. It's because the gearbox and clutch are not syncronized. If you held the clutch in for about 5 seconds, it minimizes the clunk if not making it a simple click. If you wait too long, rotation will stop and if will not go back in gear and you'll have to release the clutch lever slightly to get things spinning again the then put it in gear.
Well, i still cant get the bike started, if i pull the clutch in, roll the wheel then try to shift i can get 1 gear at a time, so i can access all the gears. When i have it in neutral and try to start it the starter relay switch just clicks. Checked the kickstand, kill switch, everthing i can think of...just dont know

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fixed..tore it apart and reassembled and checked connections...now it works..weird..thanks for the suggestions..prolly just a combo of what you listed, improper alignment on linkage and a plug not tight enough

·
Registered
2 Posts
my bike doesnt turn over at all either?ive checked the electrical but neverything is where it needs to be.could it maybe be the timing?dont know much bout the internal of the bike.my battery is low now since i tried starting bunch of times.(talking bout after i changed clutch)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts