Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to shut the bike off last night after pulling it out of the garage, turned the key to "off" and everything stayed on, lights, engine still running, gauges, all. Turned it to lock, pulled the key out, and no difference. I also tried the engine kill switch and same result.

I switched the key on and off a few times and it still stayed on. About the third time I tried the engine kill switch, it shut the engine off, but all the lights stayed on. After this, I shut the key off, and everything shut off.

Turned key on again, started it, and same thing happened. Engine stayed running with all the lights on with the ignition in lock, the key pulled out, and the kill switch in the off position!

Any idea what might be going on? Almost seems like a relay is bad or the ignition switch is on the way out. Thanks all.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
dont think its the ignition switch.. the kill switch bypass all that but never knoe

might be a cross wire somewhere? had this happen to this car i worked on.. the guy had an amp put in.. but some how wired a signal wire from the amp to an ignition wire.. WTF? and it would keep the car on with the key out and everything..
i would look at the ignition wire/ ignition area to be at fault

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
THat is F'ed up, I had a dream last night about that happening to my bike,,, but when i got to work this morning it shut off fine,

Can't help you there though

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
do you have an electrical diagram? This would help a lot. You could find out what conditions turn off the motor and the headlights. I would assume the engine kill switch would over ride the key but you need the electrical diagram to see exactly, They might be in series and one might affect the other.

I don't have an 06 manual but it would be helpful.

·
Moto GSpizzle
7,778 Posts
I believe its the "you didn't ride me long enough" switch. It wants to be ridden more.
i think youre right!
listen to your bike dude, it could become serious!
take that thing back out before it cuts you off completely.
had a girl do that to me once, tried to put her away like you did and she left me for good :sad11:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do you have an electrical diagram? This would help a lot. You could find out what conditions turn off the motor and the headlights. I would assume the engine kill switch would over ride the key but you need the electrical diagram to see exactly, They might be in series and one might affect the other.

I don't have an 06 manual but it would be helpful.

Ive got a service manual. I'll start tearing into it this weekend to see what I can find. I was an auto tech for 12 years, so hopefully the bike wont be much different. Ill have to see how its wired and go from there.

I decided to ride it to work today, was fine until I got home, didnt want to shut off again. Maybe its tired of my garage?

K

·
0 Posts
Ive got a service manual. I'll start tearing into it this weekend to see what I can find. I was an auto tech for 12 years, so hopefully the bike wont be much different. Ill have to see how its wired and go from there.

I decided to ride it to work today, was fine until I got home, didnt want to shut off again. Maybe its tired of my garage?
it's ridiculously simplistic... electrically.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Sounds like something isn't touching in the bottom of your ignition. If you can remove it flip it over and you can watch it work with a meter. T

·
Registered
176 Posts
ok Step 1 visit the 600rr.net parts forums and obtain a complete wiring harness....why? cause for that to happen something is way beyond seriously fubar lol - kill switch should have removed the positive side of the system from ground as far as the ingition is concerned
On the totally serious side you may have more than one problem - check the ingition switch and then check the relays etc, something has to be feeding the igntion juice...

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
ok Step 1 visit the 600rr.net parts forums and obtain a complete wiring harness....why? cause for that to happen something is way beyond seriously fubar lol - kill switch should have removed the positive side of the system from ground as far as the ingition is concerned
On the totally serious side you may have more than one problem - check the ingition switch and then check the relays etc, something has to be feeding the igntion juice...
if step 1 fails.. goto step 2 and drink :all_cohol

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
your bike is haunted. is it still running as i type right now? lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL I was messing with it again yesterday and it took me 10 attempts before it shut off. Ive still been riding it around. Spose if it doesnt shut off I'll just keep on riding.

The first day off I get im going to tear into it -- hopefully thats this weekend sometime.

I did have some trouble with the key turning in the ignition earlier this year, sprayed some lube in there and it cured that -- wonder if any of it got into the switch and caused a short??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts