Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup another wont start thread…. So about 2 weeks ago I moved my bike from my buddies house to my roommates parents workshop… we trailered it in a closed trailer and unfortunately due to ratchet straps that didn’t fit the trailer me and my roommate sat in the trailer to make sure our bikes didn’t fall over… given it was super dark in there we had our headlights on… by the time we got to his parents I could see my headlights dimming like the battery was getting dead… So we got it to his house and I went to fire it up and it would turn over but not fire up… the only way I could get it to fire up was to attach a battery charger and then it started fine… well this weekend I went to work on it again and now it wont even turn over and the headlights don’t come on… but the gauge cluster lights up… horn works… fuel gauge works…. High beam indicator does not come on when flipping the switch

Also the fuel pump doesn’t prime… and after I thought about it I don’t think it ever primed…. BAS is good (arrow down), main fuses are good….

My buddy told me (not sure if this is true or not) that once one of our batteries is drained all the way it wont take a charge anymore… is that true? If so would the gauge cluster still come on?

PS- doesn’t turn over at all now even with a battery charger attached

Thought id ask you guys before I went and bought a battery… any ideas?

K

·
0 Posts
Also the fuel pump doesn’t prime… and after I thought about it I don’t think it ever primed
Sure it does. since you don't hear a *WEEERRRRRRRRR* sound when the Ignition is on and the run switch is at the "RUN" position, this could be a BAS Issue, could be a fuse issue too.

My buddy told me (not sure if this is true or not) that once one of our batteries is drained all the way it wont take a charge anymore… is that true?
No it's not. your buddy was fed some mis-information at some point by someone who doesn't know their ass from their elbow and he ate it up like a dog eats a steak: zero thought.

If so would the gauge cluster still come on?
depends on the charge state. why, does it not come on at all when you turn the key?

PS- doesn’t turn over at all now even with a battery charger attached

Thought id ask you guys before I went and bought a battery… any ideas?
Do you hear a clicking or a rapid grinding when you hit the starter? Is the transmission in gear? have you checked your main fuse?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last Week: (Key On, Run switch On)
Headlights came on
Gauge cluster lit up
Bike would sound like it wanted to start (click click click)
Not In Gear (Nuetral indicator on)
Bike would start with charger attached
High Beams indicator would come on if switch toggled
Gauge cluster comes on (speed, fuel, trip)

This Weekend: (Key On, Run Switch On)
No Headlights
3rd Light is on(light about headlights)
Not in Gear (Nuetral light on)
Bike does nothing when start putton pushed
Horn Works
Nothing changes with charger attached
High Beams indicator does not come on when switch is toggled
Gauge cluster comes on (speed, fuel, trip)

Checked the fuses by the headlight fuse... didnt check the main fuse (not sure where it is). Roommate checked the BAS today (said it was as pictured in some of the other threads, arrow down)

K

·
0 Posts
and you've charged the battery since you drained it during transport?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and you've charged the battery since you drained it during transport?
i guess you could say that... just hooked up a charger and put it in start mode... didnt let it sit for awhile... would you reccomend i let it sit on there for a couple hours or....

K

·
0 Posts
...Oh boy... start mode meaning how much amperage? less than 20A i hope.

god i hope you didn't fry your battery... yes, i suggest leaving it on a 900mA charger overnight (10 hours) to get the battery back on it's feet. it may not hold as much of a charge because of what might have happened, but it should hold enough for a few starts. if you're not riding leave the battery out of the bike, and put it in the basement until you're ready to ride. do not depend on your bike to recharge the battery for you. you will overheat the charging system (R/R and stator) and you may cause more damage than you think.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...Oh boy... start mode meaning how much amperage? less than 20A i hope.

god i hope you didn't fry your battery... yes, i suggest leaving it on a 900mA charger overnight (10 hours) to get the battery back on it's feet. it may not hold as much of a charge because of what might have happened, but it should hold enough for a few starts. if you're not riding leave the battery out of the bike, and put it in the basement until you're ready to ride. do not depend on your bike to recharge the battery for you. you will overheat the charging system (R/R and stator) and you may cause more damage than you think.

Hmmm cant remember exactly what the setting was... 6v i think?
I will try that... once i got the battery charged then take it out? Im in wisconsin so you know as well as i do that im not riding right now ha

K

·
0 Posts
Hmmm cant remember exactly what the setting was... 6v i think?
I will try that... once i got the battery charged then take it out? Im in wisconsin so you know as well as i do that im not riding right now ha
hey, i've been damn tempted these past few days... but i know better.

6v though huh? eek. bueno ekk. the system is 12V.

man i hope you didn't blow something up. you just might have. in this case, charge the battery, and make sure to get it load tested before you install it in the bike (advanced, autozone... who ever) to make sure it's good to go for active duty. you do not want to repeat this action ever again. you might have to replace the whole wiring harness and electronics next time...

knock on wood it didn't happen this time!

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Pull the battery and take it down to your local auto parts store or dealer for them to load test and charge. You need a 1amp (12v) charger for about 6-8hrs. Get one with a built in regulator so you can leave it on the bike for extended periods of time.

What year is this bike?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well it definately looks like the battery was shot... pulled the battery out and attempted to charged it at 12v..... looked like it was going fine for about 20 minutes until it started smoking! Tested the battery... didnt take a charge at all

Any suggestions on a new battery? For street Use? Thanks

1 - 20 of 37 Posts