Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys/girls. I briefly looked through this forum trying to find a solution to my problem but didn't get what I'm looking for.

My issue has occured twice since owning the bike. If it sits for an extended period of time (2 weeks +, which rarely ever happens) the bike will try to start but won't actually achieve ignition. I know there is some life in the battery b/c the display (tac, oil light etc) show's up and the starter is working fine b/c I can hear it clicking fast as I hold in the start button however it wont turn over.

The first time this happened I finally got it going after 10 minutes of fighting, at the time I thought fuel wasn't in the line fully and just left it at that. The second time this happened (this past weekend) I asked my uncle about it and he said no fuel in the line wouldn't make sense b/c I have an electric fuel pump which should deliver fuel almost instantly. Needless to say I believe I drained the battery this past weekend b/c towards the end of this whole ordeal the starter wasn't sounding the same as it was at first. It was a long and drawn out turn over sound.

So, do you think that it's possible my batter just isn't that great. Sits for to long and slowly begins to loose power? I'm going to place it on a trickle charger and see what that does.

Some facts: The bike is an '03, purchased it in March; batter looks to be an original. For the past 3 weeks to a month the bike hasn't run, it's been in the garage striped down (nothing pluged b/c I took the tachometer out to 'fix' it). That last statement makes me think there could be something else besides a battery problem.

G

·
When it happens, check the battery with a voltmeter. The battery may have enough power to turn on the dash, signals, and to click the starter relay, but not enough to actually spin the starter. Since it's an '03, it's probably time for a new battery anyway.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
"Clicking fast"? What is clicking? Is the starter actually spinning the engine and it won't fire, or is the starter clicking but not spinning the motor?

If it is just clicking and not spinning the motor, Demented is right. I wouldn't even check the bat, I'd just get a new one.

If the starter is spinning the engine but it is not firing, then you have other problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dcope17, the starter is clicking and not spinning the motor.

Yeah, the batter is what I believe to be the problem. Going to try out the trickle charger and see if that helps.

I'll let you know what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.