Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Anyone tried using a wooden 2X12X6 to load their bike in a truck bed? I'd think that it should be able to take the weight of a 600rr (approx 420 wet???) over a six foot span but I just don't know. Anyone have any success or fail stories??

PS... the incline will be minimal. My driveway is pretty steep so I'm planning on parking my truck at the bottom and use the angle to my advantage. Will be only a little less than level. Thx

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I've been using a homemade wooden ramp for years for mine..... it's solid as a rock and never had a single problem whatsoever. I put a couple small pieces of 2x4 on the bottom side in the middle just for a little extra rigidity, and a short piece of chain to hook a strap to so I can strap it to the trailer and keep it from sliding back. Worked like a charm every single timei.... still using it too :)

Being wood though, some of the non-slip stuff (feels like sandpaper) isn't a bad idea on the top side

·
Registered
790 Posts
Something to be cautious about. Depending on the truck bed height, you may high-side the underbelly when the front wheel is in the bed but the rear is still on the ramp. THe ramp I have is curved at the top to prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys,

Anyone tried using a wooden 2X12X6 to load their bike in a truck bed? I'd think that it should be able to take the weight of a 600rr (approx 420 wet???) over a six foot span but I just don't know. Anyone have any success or fail stories??

PS... the incline will be minimal. My driveway is pretty steep so I'm planning on parking my truck at the bottom and use the angle to my advantage. Will be only a little less than level. Thx
I just purchased a 600rr in August and the EXACT same scenario.. steep driveway and used a wooden board to load. My main concern came from the tailgate (as I heard Nissan Frontier's have one of the weaker set of tailgate hinges), but everything loaded up fine and felt solid when doing it..

Just make sure you have an extra set of hands and you should be good to go!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies to this post and my earlier one on transporting advice. Got my bike loaded into my Tacoma and transported from Pgh, PA to Cocoa Beach, FL w/ no problems. Looking forward to Daytona beach biketoberfest on Friday and Saturday...

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
The cheap, ubiquitous aluminum folder ramp is still a pretty handy item to have around, and transports easier. The definitive weight support and slight arch makes loading less sketchy. Keep an eye out on your local classifieds and pick one up when you have the chance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys,

Wood works well. The longer the better. I used two 2x12x6 with 3 or 4 standard door hinges holding the two together. Also get a ramp end like the picture below. Use a tie down strap from the truck to the your ramp, so it stays in place when you load the bike. Use a milk crate or a plastic step too. Just wheel the bike, don't ride it.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Wood works well. The longer the better. I used two 2x12x6 with 3 or 4 standard door hinges holding the two together. Also get a ramp end like the picture below. Use a tie down strap from the truck to the your ramp, so it stays in place when you load the bike. Use a milk crate or a plastic step too. Just wheel the bike, don't ride it.
The hinge idea is a great thing to do. I dont use the wood for the bike but I have for a lawnmower and never thought about halving the wood planks for easier portability.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Made a wood ramp for my FZ6 (heavier the the CBR) using a 2x10 with a 2x6 on edge on the back side to make it stiffer. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
i use a 9ft arched ramp off of ebay. I could probably ride it up into the truck but instead i walk beside it and modulate the gas clutch and front brake. still need help going down but going up i'm good

1 - 20 of 22 Posts