Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went out of town for 4 weeks and forgot to disconnect my battery before leaving. When I cam back the battery was (not surporisingly) dead. I was able to jump it and start the bike but as soon as I disconnect the jumper cables, the bike dies. I know I need a new battery anyways but it is my understanding that the battery is only used to start the bike and then the stators and the rest of the electrical system power the spark plugs and electronics once the engine is running. I'm worried that I may have a bigger issue here than just a battery. The bike is a 2005 with 1800 miles. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Replace the battery then worry. Start with the obvious and then see if you have other issues, if you haven't done anything to the bike then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. T

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed a new battery and rode about 60 miles today and everything seemed to be just fine. I'm glad it went well but I'm still a little confused why the battery killed the engine after it was already running?

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Because your charging system only charges the battery, your battery is still the heart of the bike, without it your bike will still die.

Track bike we are working on a total loss system. Will only run on battery, no charging system, no stator just batteries.. When the battery hit's under 10volts things start to fail on the bike. Same concept. Your battery wouldn't charge above 10volts and when the bike switched over it would die. T

·
Registered
601 Posts
I installed a new battery and rode about 60 miles today and everything seemed to be just fine. I'm glad it went well but I'm still a little confused why the battery killed the engine after it was already running?
I know everything is good since getting your new battery, however couldn't you have just tried charging the battery on a battery tender first before going out and buying a brand new battery?

Just seems it may have been cheaper that way and you'll probably get a lot of usage out of a tender.

Regardless, you're back on the road, so all good.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
A tender doesn't make your battery good. If your bike can't charge the battery then the tender isn't going to do it either.. Tender is pretty much taking the place of you going out and riding the bike. But if he goes out and rides the bike and the battery is dying it's dead. 5+ years out of a stock battery isn't that bad.

·
Registered
601 Posts
A tender doesn't make your battery good. If your bike can't charge the battery then the tender isn't going to do it either.. Tender is pretty much taking the place of you going out and riding the bike. But if he goes out and rides the bike and the battery is dying it's dead. 5+ years out of a stock battery isn't that bad.
ahh kk gotcha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it was the stock battery so I knew I was going to have to replace it soon anyways. Did get a trickle charger though when I got the battery...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because your charging system only charges the battery, your battery is still the heart of the bike, without it your bike will still die.

Track bike we are working on a total loss system. Will only run on battery, no charging system, no stator just batteries.. When the battery hit's under 10volts things start to fail on the bike. Same concept. Your battery wouldn't charge above 10volts and when the bike switched over it would die. T
And thanks for the explanation! that makes sense...
Got the old battery tested at autozone and it was 6 volts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts