Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I'm looking at a cbr 600rr tomorrow and am just curious as to whether or not the price is worth it. It's an 08 cbr600rr orange and black 13k miles. The owner is saying he doesn't have the time to ride it. He wants 5k for it. Does not have maintenance records but claims there is no problems with the bike. Fairings look way too nice to be 7 years old so I'm concerned there was a drop of some sort. He's also claiming it needs a new batt because he had to jump start it to get it going after leaving the batt in it all winter. Owner stated he replaced the stator thinking that was the issue. Needs a front tire which he has and is throwing in along with a spare rear tire. Claims it was never raced or stunted. Is it worth it? Won't allow test drives unless cash is in hand and frankly since it's been 5 years since I rode a ninja 250 (I was riding cruisers the last 5 years) I don't blame him.

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,274 Posts
i do not have any service records, a lot of the guys on here, including myself, we do most, if not all of the work on the bikes, so there wouldn't be any records (i write down things i do and when, but that's only for my reference point)

just because fairings are nice and not beat up don't mean anything.... he could have just been good to the bike and never crashed it.

as to the battery, no big deal there.... i am on my 3rd battery right now, my bike is an 07. batteries go bad, and if you do decide to get the bike and need a battery, lithium batteries are the way to go.

as to "is it worth it" you won't know until you see the bike in person, and it's all about if it is worth 5K to you - you can always counter with a lower offer and see where you get...and just search the local listings for similar bikes, that will give you an idea of what they go for, in your area....

good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree with Kali, just because the fairings are in good shape does not mean that they are not original. I just bought the same exact bike last year, with some mods done and 6262 for mileage, at a very similar price. But I specifically wanted that paint scheme and had looked long and hard for it. At a local dealer they were asking almost $3000 more and I looked for almost a year for it. So yes, to me, it was worth it. But the bike I got was cherry.

I work in an industry where I see 150 items that look brand new and 1 year old items that look 300 years old. It all goes on the type of owner that item had. Was it cared for and babied? You can tell a lot by reading the person. Also, do not be afraid to counter offer, but be fair in your negotiations. Don't start at $2500 and expect the person to not get pissed. But if he wants $5000, I wouldn't feel terribly, judging on the bike condition, about starting around $4500 or so and going from there. Good luck!

·
Registered
245 Posts
You can check inside of fairings for manufacturing stamp I believe. I bought my 08 last year and the fairings were originals and in perfect condition. The price sounds good, I wouldn't expect him to negotiate too much lower.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well unfortunately my suspicions were correct and he admitted that he dropped the bike on the highway and just recently replaced all the fairings. While the fairings looked great the rest of the body suffered from deep scratches that were both old and new which he claims would "buff out". He did not replace the rear cowl and it was severely scraped up as if someone tagged the bottom while performing a wheelie. The underside of the rear fairing was plaqued with burnt rubber, which i assume meant he did burnouts on the poor bike. The engine sounded great but he wouldn't let me test drive it (understandable). The levers were scratched up on both sides as were the pegs but all seemed to function. The whole deal just seemed very shady and I decided to politely tell him I still had some looking around to do which enraged him and his trash bag girlfriend. They both became very aggressive and insisted the bike was a fantastic deal and I was an idiot for not buying it. I was able to leave the situation without it escalating to violence. So that was my first experience with trying to by a CBR lol. Im looking at one tomorrow and hope it won't be as dramatic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts