Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i finaly get my call back from the insurance company about my bike, with bad news they want to total my yellow baby :sad3:. The total cost to fix it would be 4800, if they total it they are gonna give me 5600. Now if they wanted to save them selfs a grand they would just let me fix it for 4800 and everyone will be happy. They said because the total cost to fix it was over 75% of the value they will total it. The lady at the insurance company understands that i dont want them to total the bike so shes trying to work with me on it some of the parts that were just scratched up im not going to replace and make it under 75%. Just kinda makes me mad

·
Registered
893 Posts
why not take the 5600 and buy a nice used 600rr? winter's coming up, there should be some good deals to be had. what happens if you fix it up with that 4000 your gonna get and it doesn't ever ride the same? i hear you tho about the 75% thing, kinda lame.. but i would take the 5600 and buy something else..

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
They just did this to me with an old F4. I ended up with a brand new 06 rr!!! It hurts after you get your bike set up just right and used to it to have to let it go, but I love the new bike!

·
Registered
771 Posts
yea i dont understand why you don't want to take the money and get a bike that has not been down....there's more to fixing a bike than the cost of replaced parts alone, you need to factor in labor and the time you will waste by not riding. take the 5600 and get a new bike. if i were you i'd be aiming for a total loss than trying to convince the insurance company that my bike is salvageable.

·
Registered
638 Posts
take the money and buy the bike back from the insurance company. The bike will have salvage title. But you will come out ahead.

Don't have them reduce the settlement amount. Thats ridiculous.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you honestly have your heart set on that bike. You could probably by it back from the insurance company as a salvaged and use the 4800 for repairs and then you have an extra G. I'm not sure about bikes, I'v had a buddy do that with a car of his though.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Is your bike paid for or you still owe money on it ?
if its paid for then take the 5600 and buy another bike
if its not paid for then its another story

K

·
0 Posts
total the bike, buy it back, make it a track bike, set money down on a 07.

solved.

·
Registered
132 Posts
crvlvr said:
take the money and buy the bike back from the insurance company. The bike will have salvage title. But you will come out ahead.

Don't have them reduce the settlement amount. Thats ridiculous.
+1

Then sell the parts that are still good, and get yourself a new bike.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Knightslugger said:
total the bike, buy it back, make it a track bike, set money down on a 07.

solved.

HMMM, now that sounds tempting. Haha.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont know im weird about these things i want MY bike back not someone elses you know what im saying? Yes my bike was someone elses at one point in time but now its mine. Also another factor being only 20 mommy and daddy still have alot of say in what i do and dont do, if i were to take the money they dont want me to get another bike i dont know what i could do with out my bike id be lost. If they say go ahead and get another bike im putting 6 gs down on an 07 RR like now. I see what your all saying though with taking the money seems like the obvious idea

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would not do it...take the money and buy a RR. Much better and you will be happier in the long run

·
Woman Can Handle A LOT of Beef
2,009 Posts
Get the pimpin new one ;-)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well I may be mistaken, I've never tried, but you cant just go get plates on a salvaged title and I would imagine would cost a decent amount of money to go through all the steps to get a rebuilt title and plates. Probably better off with a new bike...

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
To answer your original question and explain the reasoning here goes. If the insurance company pays you $4800 to fix the bike, they are out $4800. If they total it and pay you $5600 they come and get the bike and they sell it at a salvge vehicle auction. If you have ever been to a salvage vehicle auction, you know that most people are there to look at cars and know absolutely nothing about bikes. So they get to the auction and they see this nice bike there that doesn't look like it is in bad shape and they figure why not, I have always wanted to try a bike? So they bid on the bike and they end up paying way more for it than it's worth. Sometimes they end up paying what you could get a non wrecked one for. I am willing to bet they will probably get $5000 for your bike seriously. So then they will only be out $600. It is way more cost effective for the insurance to do it this way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts