Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Team Green recrueting machine
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my situation. Im moving to the midwest for school. And when i got the insurance qoute it was 6300 a year for full coverage! Freaken highly insane.
Right now im only paying roughtly 2700. So, I was thinkin of keepin my bike insured in New York and have it down with me.

But Once im in kentucky, im gonna switch my driver license from New York to Kentucky. Is it legal to have both drivers license in 2 state? and have the motorcyle registered in NY with a Kentucky drivers license?

Im like confused by this, i dont know if this is legal or not. Cuz i certainly dont wanna pay freaken 6k a year for insurance.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
It's not so much a point of whether it's legal or not but whether your insurance company in NY will honor your policy if you have a claim. If you're a resident of another state most likely the insurance company will not cover you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Shop around! I was getting quotes from 5k-20k a Year for my Bike. I finally found my insurace. 12 Months.... $643.00! Thats Full coverage and $500.00 deductable.

06 Honda 600RR

G

·
One question:

Why do you need to change your driver's license? I have a friend that goes to collage in Wisconsin and she still has her Minnesota License.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Its not illegal. Put the bike in joint ownership with your parents. You are a resident not your bike. Your bike is still living in NY you brought for a visit to learn the area, and planned on taking it home. My buddy had an Il DL and his car was still registered in Michigan where his parents live. I know you can find better coverages than that. When You get here get a renters policy for where you stay at school that will give you a discount on the bike. The amount your being quoted is a f'off quote. Find a person that will talk to you and you will get a lower price.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
In some states, and dependig on the insurance company, it IS NOT illegal, if your a student or in the military.
True story.

Talk to your insurance compnay and shop around some.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
snikwad said:
In some states, and dependig on the insurance company, it IS NOT illegal, if your a student or in the military.
True story.

Talk to your insurance compnay and shop around some.
Very true.....depending on the insurance company you may get away with a temporary residence out of state. If you are moving there and changing your state of residence then you will most likely have to change your insurance.

·
19,904 Posts
Yep, which is why students and military getto slide on that.
So keep your NY residence, and registration to be sure, and double check with the insurance company.

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you have an accident your coverage back in NY will not cover it. I live in KY, i am in the military but my insurance was through my homestate. I had a wreck in my truck not too long ago and it wasn't covered because I hadn't changed my "regional insurance policy" to my new residency. I took it in the a$$.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
i'm finding it hard to believe that the insurance in Ky is higher then NY...

once your in Ky shop around they have a ton of insurance options.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
101stABN said:
If you have an accident your coverage back in NY will not cover it. I live in KY, i am in the military but my insurance was through my homestate. I had a wreck in my truck not too long ago and it wasn't covered because I hadn't changed my "regional insurance policy" to my new residency. I took it in the a$$.
What insurance? I had State Farm and had it through a local agent before I went in the military. I was in Va Beach for 7-8 months and my motorcycle was stolen. I called them they transfered it to a Va beach agent they called me, I went in and within a week or two I got my check.

Talk to your agent, I think its a rule of thumb to have the bike insured in the same state which you have the bike registered in.

·
19,904 Posts
If your gonna be on a dorm or in a barracks, by law, your not a legal resident, of that state, your just there temporarily.
So technically you should be covered under those circumstances.
But as Alpine said, there is no way KY should be higher than anywhere in NY state.
So shop around, and ask if they'll cover you.

·
Registered
638 Posts
In state tuition A LOT cheaper
Knightslugger said:
I'm not sure why one would apply for residency if you're just going to school in that state...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hey check into Geico for the KY area, my insurance is only 90 bucks a month man. I don't know what your driving record it like but mine is decent and I am getting a good premium.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Knightslugger said:
I'm not sure why one would apply for residency if you're just going to school in that state...
I take it you never went to college.

Example: 1 semester at the U of Iowa

Resident tuition: $3067
Out of state: $9179

·
Premium Member
14,336 Posts
If you have a car as well, State Farm is the best bet.... $15 a month for me....

·
Registered
237 Posts
it IS illegal however to hold a driver's license from state A, insurance from state B, and a tag from state C. just some fyi.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I don't think so, your driver's liscence is valid until it expires despite your residency. I'm not a pro though, and it works differently for us in the military so that could be why its okay for me to have it that way. I have a KS driver's liscense, I live in Kentucky and have Tennessee plates.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts