Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I went for a ride with a kid from college and he ended up wrecking. I feel bad because I thought that he could ride but it turned out he couldn't. He wrecked on a curve that was posted 45, I took it at about 75 and he said he took it at 55. Luckily he wasnt hurt, but his bike was messed up bad. It broke every fairing he had, messed up his pipe and bent his handlebars. After he wrecked he informed me that he had only had his bike for a month and had only ridden on the interstate, he didn't have full coverage insurance, and hadn't made his first payment yet.
I feel terible about it and my girlfriend made me feel worse by telling me that I should have asked him how experiance he was before I went riding with him. I think he should have told me before hand because I told him where we were going and what the road was like. What do you guys think? :(

C

·
0 Posts
I think it is your fault!!

Not really, he needs to know how he can ride better. When I first started riding, I wouldnt mind at all falling behind. Even now, the guys with more experience that can ride harder pull away from me sometimes, but I dont mind, I'd rather ride within my limits until I am ready to take a twistie faster.

L

·
0 Posts
he got in over his head. it's not your duty to babysit him and do a background check on him before you ride. i have been in group rides where i knew i was in over my head and politely told them it was getting late and i had to get home. the group i was with were doing 150+ on backroads that had speed limits of about 45. little too rich for my blood.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Eff that man. That sucks for him but he shouldn't be riding a bike that hard if he can't handle it (glad he was able to walk away though). The whole point of being a responsible rider is to know your limits. He shouldn't be trying to stay with you if you can ride that much better than he does and can handle corners like that. I've been riding a street bike for two years so I'm still a newbie, I wouldn't dream of taking a 45mph corner at any other speed than I could handle. Even if that meant going around that corner at 30mph. I'd rather keep my body and bike intact than try to outride my skills. I can't speak for anyone else.......just my opinion.

Dan

·
Registered
465 Posts
You are not responsible for someone else’s stupidity!

Ya……. that sucks that he crashed his bike, but even if you asked about his skill level, there is no telling if it would have made any difference.

Now tell yo Bitch ta go get ja a beer! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

C

·
0 Posts
I think that you have no worries. Thank God He was okay. It will be a big learning experience for him. The next time he rides he may be humbled by his ignorance of the situation he put himself in. Remember "ride within your limits". In the words of the Notorious Biggie Smalls ..."If you don't know than now you know".... :bitchslap:

·
Registered
734 Posts
I think it is a good idea to ask in general how long the person has been riding when you first ride with them. Usually when I ride with people I jsut met, I let them lead (or be in front) so I can see how they ride. That being said, it sux to be him but you have nothing to worried about, you are not his daddy.

Full coverage man, learned the hard way.

Rippey

·
Registered
937 Posts
Its not your fault that guy wrecked. One of the first things that I learned was to ride your own ride. I have ride with a group of 13 people befor and was the slowest one. Everybody would wait for the group befor making a turn to a diff road and nobody ever said a word to anyone about being to slow or holding up the group. Everybody just out to have a good time.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I made the mistake of talking with a guy at a local shop. He has a 600rr. Older guy. Come to find out he seems half retarded, failed his motorcycle test in the msf. He finally got his license. but he calls me all the time asking about rides. I don't want to ride with the guy because I don't want to watch him crash.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I applaud you for feeling a little bad about it, shows you're a decent person. But its not your fault so don't feel bad too long.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I believe you should ask about someones skills for your own safety. Last thing you need is to be ass punched by some know-it-all kid who "knows" how to ride.

In this case, he is at total fault and you were not the contributing factor. Something was going to get this guy to wreck anyway... a low flying bird, small squirrel, something.

At least you were there incase he was hurt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would feel the same exact way if that happened to me but then again, you didnt intend to make him crash or anything like that. He shouldve known to slow down. It sucks for him though and I feel bad for him too.

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
hondaf4iguy said:
I believe you should ask about someones skills for your own safety. Last thing you need is to be ass punched by some know-it-all kid who "knows" how to ride.
At least you were there incase he was hurt.
I agree....and then I ask what kind of person finances a bike and doesn't get full coverage. Especially if he doesn't know how to ride real well. :twak: I mean it is required by law to get full coverage on a motor vehicle you don't "own".

·
Registered
132 Posts
His fault. Not yours. I havent been riding long but I learned the first few days that it doesnt matter how fast my speedo says I am going. If I am pushing it feels real fast. Speed is relitive, what feels fast to me is a walk in the park on a moped for Rossi. And what is fast for someone doing there first time on a bike is a walk in the park for me. He tried to ride in your limits instead of his own. Too bad, learning experiance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts