Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sometimes i ride for two hours.

Actually after about an hour my hand becomes kinda numb - not to the point where i cant operate, but it has lack of blood flow.

I never get any long term pain though.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its never really long term, when i get to a stop light i rub them and they feel better, and sometimes i can ride and they wont hurt at all?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Many times after quality jerk time my wrist hurts, so I just try to rub one out faster than usual and rest it for a bit...OH, did you mean when riding...thats embarassing...

Anyway, yeah...the pain is because when you break all your weight goes to your palms and your wrists are the shock absorbers. Try bending your elbows a bit...if you ride with your arms straight your wrists take the shock but with your elbows bent your arms will act sort of like springs. Just rub your wrists if they hurt...Kick the bike into neutral, especially at long stop lights and rest them a bit.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Could also be the gloves...I borrowed my dads gloves and the pads in the palms were broken into his specs and my palms were KILLING me when I got off my bike after like twenty minutes. Make sure and ride with gloves that have adequate padding in the palms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
People often forget that this is actually a sport. Several sets of crunches every morning should help along with good posture while riding. I see alot of people riding around straight armed and hunched over the handle bars like a monkey fuckin a football. I dont know how they ride like that.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm with ya bud... but worse. I suffered through a narly broken wrist years ago from a snowboard accident. Then a f-ed up neck from an ice hockey injury that left me unable to do much of anything for a year. Needless to say both my hands have gone numb within 10 min of being on the bike.

So when I ride long distances its a concsious effort to deal with it.

Heres what I do:

Use your legs and clamp your knees against the tank and use them as leverage to support your back and take some weight off your hands. You have to modulate this so you don't get a sore back but enough so your hands don't go to sleep.

I also have a tank bag so when I'm on a long stretch of interstate I rest my chest on it and take load off my hands.

I also shift weight between both hands to give each one a break. When I do I sometimes relax my grip on the throttle so I'm not wrapping my fingers around it but just keeping my thumb and fingers parallel to each other (like a duck bill) so that the fingers get a break. You can also wiggle your fingers like this to encourage more blood flow.

I know all this sounds weird but it's what I gotta do mang... my body is messed up and it works! I'm not even going into my left leg and my hip probs, heheheh. I guess I'm about one injury away from a wheelchair :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Elbows bent and tucked in. Grip the bars as lightly as possible.

Have all your weight on the balls of your feet.

Grip the tank with your knees, epecially under brakes.

Wear briefs, not boxers so you don't sit on your balls.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
another thing is to pinch your heels against the heel gaurds, and have your knees ready to grip the tank when need-be. like everyone else said, your wieght should not be on the clip-ons. there are some good books out there that'll tell you exactly what your body position should be at any given time. (I think Twist of the Wrist covers it, not sure, been a while since i read it)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
paul46rider said:
try turning your levers down abit, it helps ease aches
that sonds like a good idea.. do you do this? or anyone else try this? I also shattered one wrist and broke the other had to have 2 surgeries and pins, that could be a problem as well, thxs for your input guys

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
sometimes my right hand goes numb but It happens mostly when Im in the higher RPM's and I think the vibrations cut down on the blood flow. Once I stop they get back to normal pretty quick. I'll try bending my elbows more while breaking to see if that helps...good tip.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
You're putting a lot of weight on your hands, due to the posture we have on sportbikes. Try not gripping your handlebars with the vulcan death grip. Bend your elbows slightly as to promote circulation (as well as creating a natural shock absorber). I would second the comment about it being a sport. Try supporting more of your weight through your abs (stomach AND lower back). I don't recommend clamping down on the tank with your thighs (as you may get leg fatigue) but try using your trunk to support some of your weight. You might also want to pay attention to how far forward you are sitting. Are your "boys" right up against the tank? Because then, a lot of your body might be RIGHT over your hands. Scoot back a bit on your seat so you aren't doing a push up on your handlebars.

·
07 TRACK SLAG!
6,618 Posts
that sonds like a good idea.. do you do this? or anyone else try this? I also shattered one wrist and broke the other had to have 2 surgeries and pins, that could be a problem as well, thxs for your input guys
yeah i do this mate, its the first thing i do to all of my bikes, it makes soo much difference, especially under hard braking, the way to do it is so that when you sit your fingers on the levers they follow the line of your arm
Paul

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
paul46rider said:
yeah i do this mate, its the first thing i do to all of my bikes, it makes soo much difference, especially under hard braking, the way to do it is so that when you sit your fingers on the levers they follow the line of your arm
Paul
+1 big time. I just adjusted my brake lever to my wrist/fingers after riding it stock setting for a year, you will be surprised with the difference, just try it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts