Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install my windscreen, but the well nuts are so loose on the windscreen that the windscreen just falls off when I screw it in. Here's a picture of what it looks like.

What am i doing wrong? It jus slides right in. help?

·
Registered
939 Posts
push the lip of the well nut up from the bottom not the top maybe?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you mean flip the nut upside down and go from bottom? So the lip sits on the bottom of the screen?

·
Registered
939 Posts
No sorry I'm wasnt very clear, try making sure the metal nut insert is pushed down as far a possible so that when you screw it up it closes the gap from the bottom, have you tightened it up on the bike yet? or just playing with it before you fit it?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I tried to. The windscreen is just so loose even when tightened up that it slides from under.

·
Registered
939 Posts
perhaps the screen is for another model bike? I dont know man, good luck, I aint no expert..

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone else? Are the holes just too big? I got the bolts from bikebolts.com if that makes any difference

·
Registered
962 Posts
Try putting the rubber grommets under the windscreen... it will mount up temporarily, you should have a fair amount of resistance when you but the grommets in, they should fight in super tight actually. Or it will just fall out (which seems to your case). I guess try and find some OEM ones and see if they do any better, probably get some free to try from a dealer.

·
Registered
939 Posts
When I changed mine I used the OE well nuts, have you tried them?

·
Registered
411 Posts
i used the bikeboltz.com ones....i just turned them upside down and they did the trick just fine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'mma try going to true value or kragens when I can to get a bigger diameter rubber grommet. I do not wanna fork out 70 somthing for a puig or something lol.

·
Registered
639 Posts
how much are you tightening them? they should squish the rubber and make it mushroom out and hold the windscreen when you tighten them enough. You have to tighten them down a good ways for them to do that though, I don't mean a lot of torque, just a lot of turns as the rubber part gets squished by the nut inside it getting pulled through.

Do the hole in the windscreen seem much bigger then the stock holes?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the help. The holes were a little bigger than the rubber wellnuts. I went to a local bolt shop and bought tiny rubber grommets to stuff up the rubber wellnuts to hold the windscreen up. It worked perfectly. I rather would have spent the money on the rubber grommets than to shell out 70$ for a puig windscreen.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
by the looks of your picture it looks exactly right. the big lip of the grommet/nut keeps it from falling through/being pushed through during bolt/screw installation. when you begin tightening it down the rubber would squish down and tighten up...i had to get a couple of these for the side fairing on mine and i thought it was the wrong thing till i tightened it up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts