Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No more red cap?!?! What the hell?!? I went to Wally World to buy some oil and all their Moble 1 stuff is gone, to be replaced with a new looking bottle with completly different weights. Tried half a dozen other stores with the same results. Are they discontinuing the red cap stuff(and their 0w20, what i use in my car!!)???? :Computer:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hey WherzRoony.... check out the thread I mentioned above... The guy ScootR analyzes engine oils for a living... he pretty much said that there is no difference between motorcycle oil and car oil as long as you dong get energy conserving car oil.

From what he recommends to use on ANY bike:

1. Mobile V-Twin 20w50. better additives.
2. Mobile 1 Red Cap (now called Extended Performance 15w50).

I'm gonna use the Mobile 1 Extended Performance on my 1000RR after break-in.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Just be careful about using anything heavier than the 15W-50. My bike doesn't like the heavier oils and starts a hard tick on cold starts. It doesn't do it so bad on the 15W-50 but it's real bad on the 20W-50. Doesn't do it at all on 10W-40.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I went looking for it this past weekend aswell and couldnt find it. The red cap I saw was their 5000 series oils and the one with the Yellow cap that I believe used to be what we would use, Mobil 1 Red cap.

I ended up going with Mobil 1 MX4T, my bike runs great.

I was gonna try the Shell Rotella but wasnt too sure what I needed.

·
Registered
893 Posts
fwiw i work at target and we still got the mobile 1 15w50 red cap for 4.44 a quart (only sell quarts). since most people don't buy oil at target there is usually a ton of it in stock. maybe since they changed there lineup it will go clearance soon (usually 30% off). i'll let you guys know!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Went to Advance Auto last nite and they had a ton of Red Cap 15W-50 so are they really discontinuing it?

Also with it being an automotive oil it ain't gonna mess up the clutch system or with cars not having as high RPM range it won't burn up the oil easier will it? :???:

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
onezide said:
fwiw i work at target and we still got the mobile 1 15w50 red cap for 4.44 a quart (only sell quarts). since most people don't buy oil at target there is usually a ton of it in stock. maybe since they changed there lineup it will go clearance soon (usually 30% off). i'll let you guys know!
Yup, I just found a bunch at Target.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went to target...they had 4 cases of the stuff on clearance...bought em all....figure, that outta last me awhile!! Contacted moble and they said that their old "red cap" is to be replaced by their newer "extended performance" stuff. I think their new 15w-50 might have friction modifiers in it(bad for bikes!!!) :bitchslap: Buy all that you can now guys, it aint gonna be around much longer!!

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Jeffro600 said:
Went to target...they had 4 cases of the stuff on clearance...bought em all....figure, that outta last me awhile!! Contacted moble and they said that their old "red cap" is to be replaced by their newer "extended performance" stuff. I think their new 15w-50 might have friction modifiers in it(bad for bikes!!!) :bitchslap: Buy all that you can now guys, it aint gonna be around much longer!!
Well there's good news and bad news. The bad news is Mobil 1 as we know is no more. The good news is the new line has a 10W-40 viscosity which I never found in Mobil 1 Red Cap.

I wouldn't say at this point that the new line-up has more friction modifiers. It does say that the new oil has ..."50 percent more SuperSyn, 37 percent more cleaning agents, and 36 percent more anti-wear additives than Mobil 1." But it's not listed as an "Energy Conserving" oil and is still API SL certified, which our manual calls for SG or higher.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Well I'm no oil expert. I'm assuming that "SL" is higher than "SG" certification. Can anyone confirm this?

If not I'll guinea pig my bike and run the new line-up to see if the clutch slips. If it does I'll just dump it and switch back to Repsol for awhile until I can try Castrol or something else.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The 15w-50 we all used to use is still available. It has a gold cap now, but the oil label still has the viscosity printed in a red area. It is called Mobil1 extended performance 15w-50. No need to worry. The extended performance also now comes in 10w-40, but check the label to make sure it doesn't have any Molys added (Energy Conserving). NewRedRider, yes SL is "higher" than SG.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts