Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 520 AFAM -1/+2 conversion with the DID 520 ERV3 racing chain. I've been having problems with my chain slacking way too much. I barely have 10000km on my chain and sprockets and now I notice there are piece of the x-rings coming out of the chain links and some links have already lost their rubber. Is this normal. I've been treating my chain to WD-40 and frances equipment white chain grease every 700km as indicated in the instruction manual. Is this normal wear and tear or do I have something wrong here.

Thanks. Alex.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I noticed that the slackness of my chain varies as I rotate the back wheel of the bike.

If this why the bike comes stock with a 525 pitch. Is 520 unable to handle the load of wheelies and aggressive driving habits?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nah man. I've been very meticulous about my chain. Always cleaning and lubbing and tightening. I'm very power wheelie happy though in 1st gear. Is this the problem?

·
Registered
638 Posts
+1, I didn't think you were supposed to use WD 40, it breaks the ring down, dries it out too fast and makes it crack. I think you're just supposed to clean it with a non-solvent based cleaner then use a 90 weight oil to relube it (by the book if i remember correctly) I clean mine off with soap and water and a chain brush, then use "chain wax" from the local cycle shop. Works great, my 520 setup is still in great shape.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
indueng said:
Is 520 unable to handle the load of wheelies and aggressive driving habits?

This is your problem

The 520 is lighter,less metal,made for racing,not as strong........get the picture.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Zenith said:
woah... that is an oxymoron if i ever saw one

Thiner metal = weaker = not as strong

520's are not for stunting.......ask a stunter

·
Registered
1 Posts
ERV3 520 chain is in fact stronger than OEM 525 chain. Have you checked rear sprocket alignment? this could cause premature chain wear. Cleaning with WD40 probably did not help either...

Eric

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,876 Posts
racers use the 520 for weight reduction purposes but they replace them much often than 525 chains b'coz it has lower tensile strength & the sprockets have less meat in them so they wear quicker especially under severe use (like stunting), if you do some street riding & stunt more often then drop the 520 chain & sprockets & go 525 chain & sprockets you'll be much happier & so will your wallet.

i'm very happy with my 525 i resisted the urge to go the 520 conversion route, i want my chain & sprockets to last me 20,000kms or more before i get a new set, i clean & lube my chain regularly (every 500kms/350miles) & i have adjusted the slack every few thousand kilometers & that's the great thing about 525 as the 520 is more prone to chain stretch so you adjust it more frequently than usual.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
wd40 is not recommended as far as I know.

You certainly have to watch the lubrications you put on an o-ring chain. Some solvents will in fact break down the rubber, thus producing the issues you are experiencing.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,876 Posts
btw if you lose any of the x-rings between the links then it's time to break out the wallet & buy a new chain, might as well go to an aftermarket 525 conversion.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
yeah. I guess the WD 40 is at fault here.

I've been cleaning my chain by running it in first on the rear stand while spraying wd-40 into the two slots where the rubbers are found. Then I would wrap a cloth of paper towels (bounty or whatever) around the chain still while running the wheel in first, to absorb the WD-40 and remove the grease. Based on what you guys are saying about drying out the rubber, I guess this is not the way to go?

Yes, I tend to ride my bike very hard. I rarely spin the back tire and I'll be lucky to get 3000 miles out of it. As mentioned before, I do a lot of wheelies, which can't help either.

My dilemma is that my sprockets are still in relatively good shape from a visual inspection and it hurts to chuck them out for 525, because I'm definitly not gonna be happy going back to my original sprockets. I'm addicted to -1/+2. Should I revise my cleaning habits to preserve the o-rings and just buy a new 520 chain and use my old sprockets (perhaps the ZVM2 series which is even rated for 1000cc according to DID website www.didchain.com) or should I just fold the hand and pick up a decent 525 chain and new 525 -1/+2 sprockets?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As I mentioned earlier, the chain had about 6000 mileson it. However, the stock chain is good for much more based on the service manual i think. To add to the confusion, ceph claims that 520 aftermarket is often stronger or as strong as the 525 stock. Whereas,in contrast, you are claiming that the 520 carries less miles than a 525.

Man, I wish there was a chain/sprocket god in town to sort out this mess?

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
indueng said:
So then this is all caused by WD-40? Is this right?
i'd say it is. i never have used anything but soap and water on my chain, then Honda chain wax to re-lube it.

indueng said:
As I mentioned earlier, the chain had about 6000 mileson it. However, the stock chain is good for much more based on the service manual i think. To add to the confusion, ceph claims that 520 aftermarket is often stronger or as strong as the 525 stock. Whereas,in contrast, you are claiming that the 520 carries less miles than a 525.

Man, I wish there was a chain/sprocket god in town to sort out this mess?
try here: http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/GeneralChainFAQ.htm

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks a bunch Ceph. I'll re-order my 520 ERV3 Chain and limit cleaning to x-ring safe products. Who knew WD-40 could destroy a chain when it seems like WD-40 has been mentioned so many times on this forum when it comes to chain cleaning.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.