Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to this. Still want that BMW or Duc?

What began as a battle of the motorcycle brands to show who makes the most reliable motorcycle, has resulted in a nationalist showdown. Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, and Kawasaki are all among the more reliable brands, based on our survey of more than 11,000 Consumer Reports subscribers, followed closely by Suzuki, Honda, and Kawasaki. The predicted failure rates for four-year-old motorcycles ranged from 11 to 15 percent in this group.

The domestic brands Victory and Harley-Davidson fell in between the extremes, with 17 and 26 percent, respectively.

The remaining brands—Triumph, Ducati, BMW, and Can-Am—were among the more trouble-prone. In fact, BMW and Canada-based Can-Am are both estimated to have failure rates of around 40 percent by the fourth year of ownership.

Reliablity by brand
Brand Percent failed
Yamaha/Star 11%
Suzuki 12
Honda 12
Kawasaki 15
Victory 17
Harley-Davidson 26
Triumph 29
Ducati 33
BMW 40
Can-Am 42

With a larger sample size than in our previous motorcycle survey, now counting 12,300 motorcycles, we were able to add more brands and resolution this year.

Reliability is but one measure. We found that owner satisfaction creates a much different picture...

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/makes-most-reliable-motorcycle-100025261.html

·
Registered
14,359 Posts
MV Agusta is up there with Ducati and BMW, but I still love it. I have an extended warranty.

·
Registered
14,359 Posts
My bike was a week old when it went in for a warranty repair. An LED in the tail light was out. That sill puts me in the % of bikes that needed repair.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This was a major factor when deciding what type of bike to get before I settled on the CBR. Searching the used market, I found quite a few good deals on BMW's and Ducati's, but veered away from them on the basis of service issues alone. The horror stories speaking to current owners on difficulty and cost of service also influenced me.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
40%..?!? That is a shocking statistic!!!!!
Am I the only one of the opinion that this is too vague to be of much value? My CBR did have an issue with that exhaust valve but I didn't sweat it because I planned to mod the exhaust anyway, sure I hope there's no long term damage to the engine from the temporary fix employed until I eventually did, but how many times people mod the thing, perhaps almost immediately, that would've failed?

I remember the early S1000RR having a problem with connecting rods breaking (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm sure that skewed the stats for BMW, but is that comparable in severity to the example posted of a bad LED assuming enough still functioned to illuminate the brake light or turn signal enough to be visible?

In my personal opinion no, but I'd agree that 1 in 8, or 2 in 5 brand new vehicles having defects ranges from a lot to fvckin unacceptable, especially if you're paying Ducati/BMW money, they're both likely the most complicated of all but I'd say what failed and when is more crucial than simply saying something failed...thoughts?

·
Registered
874 Posts
The 07+ cbr600rr's had very few problems I bet the failure rate would be about <5% after 4 years. Honda has had a few problems with their other bikes though. After doing a bit of research the most reliable sport bike is the F4i, (I believe, correct me if i'm wrong). Yami makes some good reliable bikes too though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Statistics are arbitrary and can be skewed to generally represent almost anything you want them to, regardless of which side of the fence you may be on. Look at TheX's recall, completely not related to performance or to something that can be considered "major" or "performance hindering". Bet yet he would still fall within that category of "needed warranty service".

As trivial as some of the service may be, it still is nice to see what MFG's have a pattern of needing to be worked on within the first few years of ownership. I would prefer to see more detail oriented stats to further back up the general claim. Perhaps broken down into sub categories such as electrical, safety, engine failure, etc.

Most of the BMW owners I've talked to personally have had tough to diagnose and fix electrical problems. One woman's bike constantly shut off on hot days and even the dealer couldn't diagnose the issue after many attempts to service. That is a much more pressing and concerning issue than a burnt out LED.

Before buying, when I narrowed it down to a GSXR and CBR, I did check recalls for the prospective bikes and found Honda to be the more reliable.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Statistics are arbitrary and can be skewed to generally represent almost anything you want them to, regardless of which side of the fence you may be on. Look at TheX's recall, completely not related to performance or to something that can be considered "major" or "performance hindering". Bet yet he would still fall within that category of "needed warranty service".

As trivial as some of the service may be, it still is nice to see what MFG's have a pattern of needing to be worked on within the first few years of ownership. I would prefer to see more detail oriented stats to further back up the general claim. Perhaps broken down into sub categories such as electrical, safety, engine failure, etc.

Most of the BMW owners I've talked to personally have had tough to diagnose and fix electrical problems. One woman's bike constantly shut off on hot days and even the dealer couldn't diagnose the issue after many attempts to service. That is a much more pressing and concerning issue than a burnt out LED.

Before buying, when I narrowed it down to a GSXR and CBR, I did check recalls for the prospective bikes and found Honda to be the more reliable.
my point exactly, on one of those ~200hp bikes and the e-nannies fail...you're suddenly on a beast with 0 experience riding. IIRC if the CBR's ABS fails it'll still stop, just as if it didn't have ABS...I can deal with that...also I think there was a thread sorta on the subject of e-nannied beast bikes.

·
Registered
862 Posts
It largely comes down to the culture of the place that builds or assembles the bike. Minimum wage, sure, but there's also the sense of pride and craftsmanship. I lived in Japan for 7 years before I moved to the states so I'm biased on this topic but those guys do really take their sh!t seriously especially where the quality of the individual work can directly influence somebody else's life. I also grew up in Russia where that kind of sense of ownership and responsibility practically doesn't exist. So taking that into account, compare Urals and CBRs and you'll understand why their quality and reliability is so vastly different. Of course there's also the matter of available funds to purchase proper materials, tools, and train their workers.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
It largely comes down to the culture of the place that builds or assembles the bike. Minimum wage, sure, but there's also the sense of pride and craftsmanship. I lived in Japan for 7 years before I moved to the states so I'm biased on this topic but those guys do really take their sh!t seriously especially where the quality of the individual work can directly influence somebody else's life. I also grew up in Russia where that kind of sense of ownership and responsibility practically doesn't exist. So taking that into account, compare Urals and CBRs and you'll understand why their quality and reliability is so vastly different. Of course there's also the matter of available funds to purchase proper materials, tools, and train their workers.
I have to agree with this, but the differences between my old 250R and my current 600RR are, imo, so great it's as if they were built by companies with cultures that don't share a single similarity. I wasn't expecting the 600 to make up for the other one, but it did without asking...that's how different I think they are from each other, also I'm pretty sure that NC700X has the motor from a car Honda makes only halved to make it a parallel twin. If it's not then the identical bore & stroke is just coincidence.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Just took a quick look at 250R's wiki and they say they are assembled in Thailand and India :sad3:. All the while 600RRs still appear to be fully built, assembled and shipped out of Japan if you believe the VIN plates.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Just took a quick look at 250R's wiki and they say they are assembled in Thailand and India :sad3:. All the while 600RRs still appear to be fully built, assembled and shipped out of Japan if you believe the VIN plates.
Thailand and India...I guess that makes sense economically but Honda might be ruining the CBR "brand" in the process...the 600 has had 1 fault that's really worth mentioning but like I said I'm still not disappointed with it. I do wish the 250R was more like the old 250RR because that looks like so much fun, ridiculously expensive in today's dollars (IIRC it was ~$10k in the 90's!) But I'd still probably buy one to be faster than the ninja :poke:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts