Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my brother want to buy a yamaha r6 2008-09 and i want to ask if there are any issues with these bikes? Engine problems, burning oil, electrical problems or something that we have to know before buy this bike...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Tank damage in a crash can cause fuel leak and subsequent fire. It is recommended to use tank sliders on that bike.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
spinning rod bearings seems to be a common fault with the yamaha, just don't use oil thicker than 10W40, i think 10W30 would be better for sure fire lubrication, the engines have a very tight oil clearance.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Yea +1 on the tank idk about the fire but every r6 I know has gone down the tank always crunches up with sliders or cages.. CBRs only scrape tail and some light side fairing and engine cover from the majority I've seen including my sel with sliders..

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
The tank issue was on 06-07 models. They fixed it on 08+ with a new shape and better protection. As for the rod bearing issue, I think that is blown a bit out of proportion as many have not had issues. Overall they are very good bikes, though they tend to be a bit more high strung than the 07+ 600RR which has a more usable power curve.

My .02

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Yes, you are. See, we're riders...not Honda only fanboys. This happens to be a very informed, and helpful group of "riders", and the OP obviously thinks that we might be a good source of information...since R6's usually have "riders" on them also.
Now that we've gotten that out of the way, can I make this a Spider-Man thread? :toothy:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There was one big issue, they weren't as fast as the Cbr 600rr.

Teehe ;)
Haha :+1:

For all those guys... My brother just don't want to have the same bike. If he won't find any good without problems bike he will go to a 2008-09 Cbr 600 rr :gun1:

I

·
0 Posts
I have a 09 R6 and I haven't had any issues with it but it only has 10K miles. Sitting on it feels a little different than my CBR but that was expected. Hopefully I won't have to give you feedback on how the tank held up.

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes, you are. See, we're riders...not Honda only fanboys. This happens to be a very informed, and helpful group of "riders", and the OP obviously thinks that we might be a good source of information...since R6's usually have "riders" on them also.
Maybe I am, but the OP asks for info on burning oil (Would any engine with proper maintenance burn oil, especially only a few years old?), engine issues (Would yamaha not put out a recall if there was an issue with every engine? There always factory freaks but come on...) and finally electrical issues (Why would there be any electrical issues unless the previous owner was an ape who thought he could wire the bike up better?)

I mean seriously...

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
Maybe I am, but the OP asks for info on burning oil (Would any engine with proper maintenance burn oil, especially only a few years old?), engine issues (Would yamaha not put out a recall if there was an issue with every engine? There always factory freaks but come on...) and finally electrical issues (Why would there be any electrical issues unless the previous owner was an ape who thought he could wire the bike up better?)

I mean seriously...I'm dumb
Well I guess YAMAHA builds perfect bikes!! Hey everyone did ya get the memo??? YAMAHA builds flawless bikes!! Let's all sell our cbrs and pick up R6's!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts