Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just got hired as a salesman at a local yamaha shop. I've done a few sales jobs here and there but not auto's. I'm pretty excited because i get to be around bikes and people all day.

Anybody have any suggestions, advice or experience to share with me?

And i don't want to see any "quit and work at a Honda shop." lol. i still ride the RR.

·
Premium Member
53,946 Posts
Treat evrey preson that walks in the door as a potential customer

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good advice. I'm pretty good at talking to people and pretty friendly so i can do that.

G

·
Make a name for yourself. Don't look at everyone as if they're a walking bag of cash. Treat them with respect and cut them nice deals on stuff. Word will eventually get around that you're the guy to see to get stuff from the dealership, and before you know it you'll have people coming in asking for you.

·
Registered
245 Posts
know what you are selling. the number one thing i hated when i was shopping for my 07 cbr was sales people trying to sell me the bike and they have no clue what they were talking about. the number two thing that pissed me off was when they were pushing and hurrying me to buy the bike.

i say ******** with the person and make the person feel comfortable.

·
Whoring Is What I Do
5,886 Posts
Dang, the yamaha here in pcb is combined with Honda, its pretty cool.

But yeah, keep a good reputation, treat all customers with respect, do them right and they will do you right in the end.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I sold bikes for a few months. Im not sure how your shop is organized, but get used to being told what to do. When I was in sales, you'd be with someone you knew that wasnt going to buy that day, but youd have floor managers insisting you went and second -upped them again and tried to make a deal/ I hated that, but hey, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnt. All I can say is just respect the people that come in the door, know as much as you can, make a personal connection with them. I sold more bike getting to know them before I would even start talking about the bike.

·
Registered
462 Posts
X2 on knowing your product. Not only what you ride and sell but also what's available.

This summer went into a used bike shop with my buddy looking at random stuff and the salesperson that approached us actually asked me what bike I had. At the time it was a white/silver 07 600rr. I told him and he said "really I didn't know they made a white 600." I laughed and said holy sh*t outloud! It had been over a year since it's production and he had no idea what it was.

Not that you have to be an expert but at least get the make/models down so you don't look stupid. Especially at a sportbike shop.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
awesome. good advice, i know a good deal on hondas and suzuki. i have a basic understanding of yamaha products, and i'm sure i'll learn more as i go.

I definately don't want to be the guy making up stuff to get a sell though. I hate sales people who do that.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Don't be the vulture by the front door that asks "Can I help you with anything" as soon as you walk in the door. I hate them.
Try "If you need anything just let me know" Those are the only ones I've talked to.

Know your product too, high and low points so you could truthfully answer someones questions.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
+1 on knowing the products you sell and learning the products that are soon to be out, I think this is the most important thing any one can do. If you know every last nut and bolt in the store, other employees will come to you for advice, and that always looks good!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Treat people how you would want to be treated if you were walking into a shop. Don't be pushy and don't ******** people. I would rather a salesperson say "I don't know, let me find out" than try to sell me a line of crap. Its usually obvious when they are trying to. Let your common sense prevail and customers will appreciate the relaxed atmosphere you create.

·
Registered
56 Posts
+1 Know your product. Learn all of the cool things about the bikes. You can impress people by showing them the shift light and how you can adjust it - people love the pretty lights no matter how much brains they have! Learn all of the bikes (cruisers, dirt, etc.) and learn about the used bikes that might come in. For the guys that come in and NEED an R1 for their first bike try to reason with them without showing negativity in their mind. Whatever happens good luck with the new job!

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
I think a great sales person looks out for the interest of the customer equally as the interest of the dealer. if a new rider wants to buy the newest super sports with no riding experience, point them in to the right directions. tell them about how to get the license, who usually have a good deal on insurance, what is the expected cost to fix a bike. also tell them the importance of having gears. which brand of gears is good instead of which brand the dealer supports. also most importently recommend them a smaller less expensive bike that is suited for their experience level. they are not going to think of you any less because you made this recommendation. and when its time for an upgrade, they well know who to call. i hate the price game so give them a good flat competitive price. for me i don’t mind paying a little extra for better service from people that i can trust.

one thing i hate the most is when a sales person say they can sell the bike for one price, and two weeks later they change the whole story. When i was buying my 07 white, I price shop around. for those of you know Hahm motor sports in so cal you know that their entire sales team are the worst bunch of looser. during December 06 i was asking around for the price. the sales person at Hahms said they always beat the OTD cycle sports price by a few hundred (one of the lowest prices in town). a couple weeks later i went again for the same OTD quote. They give me the you are stupid look and said I cannot get that price anywhere in so cal. as a result, I laugh at their face and walked off.

most buyers are not stupid, they know how much is each bike. so dont play them like that because you well loose business for life. also even if the buyers dont know the market price. dont play them. because they well find out sooner or later, and you loose a customer for life and many more potential customer.

so i would recommend you to give anyone walk in the show room with the best deal you can give them. bottom line no game, and you well for sure be the top sales men every month.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.