Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no they're not Metzeler Sportec M3's nor Pirelli Diablo Corsa's & not even Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier's but the street/track riders most favorite & maybe America & Europe's best selling tire;

the Michelin Pilot Power, no it's not the 2CT just the regular ones but still they are the shiznit, i never imagined how the tire profile looks like when mine was new b'coz when i bought my bike it was already shod with PP's, now i know how worn my tire was when i got my bike it may only had 70% of it's tread life left.

btw the dealer promised me a Michelin t-shirt & some Michelin man stickers for our bikes when i come back to his outlet & he gave it to me at a crazy price since i bought many sets from him.

i will show some pics of how worn my tires are once i get them mounted, for now i'm grinning from ear to ear, love the smell of new rubber in the morning. :D

N

·
0 Posts
Someone had mentioned that it was not good to have tires laying around for a long period of time.

Is this general knowledge?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Depends on the storage conditions. In a nice climate controlled environment 2-3 years would be ok. In a hot attic or a damp basement storage times would decrease. That many tires wouldn't last me a season though

·
Registered
771 Posts
lol nice pic man i guess you go through tires quite frequently. quick question, do you mount them yourself or do you pay to have them done?

·
Brown at your service
3,493 Posts
Those tires look like they are taking up to much space, so being the nice guy that I am............................. I'll store them at my place. HAHAHA.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I think by law you are only allowed two sets at a time so you should send me the extra before you get in trouble. ;p. Great tires. Getting a lot of use out of mine.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i take the wheels off my bike myself & bring them over to a tire & wheel shop nearby & have them mounted for only $1 but no balancing, since these tires are nearly perfectly balanced according to Michelin there's very little need to have them balanced although it won't hurt to have them balanced.

actually even if i did get them at wholesale prices the retail price in the US is much cheaper as i got them around $300 per set (retail is around $370 for 120/70-17 & 180/55-17), it's always best to buy lots of sets as opposed to buying a single set, saves you money in the long run.

btw i'm going to do lot's of trackday time since it only costs $40 for a trackday in my place so i think i'll be going through a set pretty quick hehehe. :D

·
Woman Can Handle A LOT of Beef
2,009 Posts
uh.. balancing has more to do with weight distro in the wheel itself to make sure there isn't a heavy spot. When you change tires you re-balance them in order to fix any weighted spots in the tire. I'd still recommend getting your wheels balanced during tire changes... You can do it yourself for fairly cheap.. Just need an extended axle shaft and two level surfaces that are at least tire width apart.. Spin the tire a few times and make sure the point on the bottom isn't the same each time.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I got my set for 209 plus shipping

·
Registered
41 Posts
got mine for about 270 from a local store... with only about 10% off

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
finally got my tires mounted, cost me $4 to dismount the old ones & mount the new ones in, did all the work myself, since it was disassembled i cleaned the calipers & replaced the front brake pads as it is close to wearing out the grooves so in goes my SBS Street Excel Sinter pads i will give some feedback after i bed it in.

i also cleaned the sprockets & chain with kerosene & toorbrush, now it's sparkles like gold again & upon inspecting the sprocket teeth i was amazed at how great the Renthal still is after 7000kms of use.

there is another trackday coming up at BRC this october a friend SMS'd me & he said the registration fee is only P300 ($6) for the whole day :D . i can't wait to try out my new tires to see what difference a new tire makes in turn-in & in the corners, i'll get better pics of my trackday next time even if i have to pay a pro to do it. :D

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
holy michelin tires! why get so many pairs? haha! how much did u get it in pair? pesos? where? cool!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
i think the track day will be sponsored by bikers unlimited. i hope ill join in oct.

·
Registered
6 Posts
balance your tires every time

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/

There is a pretty good tire balancer on that sight. For the number of tires you go through I'd be doing it myself. When I worked at CG the michelin tires were more balanced then the other brands that I saw first hand. I had around one tire out of 20 or so that didnt need any weights. Your running on poor decision if you think you dont need to blance your tires. Check out the tire balancer on that sight and watch the video on how it works.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts