Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea so i have this friend.....and every time we go out he always brings up that he's been riding for 2 years, and then he always has to throw it out there that iv only been riding for 1. BUT!, he's only put about 7000 miles on his bike and iv put 14000 on mine in under a year. So with that said, i made my own rule that for now on i'll ask someone how many miles they've ridden instead of how many years they've owned the bike. What do you guys think?

- Aaron
p.s. The temp is dropping, that means colder roads, cold = slippery, ride safe dudes!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I think it's a little of both. Over time, you seem to learn more, more of it sinks in anyway, plus you're aging. I'd rather ride with a 30 year old who'd been riding for 10 years with 10k over a 19 year old who'd been riding for one with 50k. It also depends on what those miles consisted of. Generally, track and weekend riders don't ride as many miles as commuters, but the miles they ride are much more intense. It would probably take hundreds of commuter miles to equal one lap at speed around a decent track.

·
Registered
870 Posts
That is the truth, I have been riding for 4 years, and I have about 12,000 miles. Almost all of them commuting. Some of my knowledge comes from experience, the rest comes from hearing of others experience. The longer you are in the game the more you learn.

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
I fight Los Angeles surface street and freeway traffic twice a day. I lanesplit. Does that count for anything?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Aeteocles said:
I fight Los Angeles surface street and freeway traffic twice a day. I lanesplit. Does that count for anything?
Not when your alias is testicles :icon_lol:

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I think it's a combination of both, and also the type of riding that the individual does.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Aeteocles said:
I agree for sure THAT particular street experience helps a lot. i also agree that you'll learn a hell lot more from a day of track riding than you would from a few thousand miles of just commuting though. different extremes and different kinds of experience on both ends.

·
Registered
66 Posts
you learn different things by doing different things. I think both count in their own ways. Miles definitly count for learning something specific. Like driving in traffic every day. Whereas time allows you to experience all sorts of riding conditions.

The real bottom line though is a willingness to learn. For example some people will ride in bad conditions (like rain) on purpose so that they'll know how to deal with it better when it hits. Whereas another person might avoid rain like the plague and have very little experience with it.
Some people will push it a little to see what they can do (track is great for this) and some will never do half of what a bike is capable of.

All the milage and years aren't a substitute for a genuine willingness to learn new things. The best riders are the ones that are constantly learning and willing to learn new things.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It is a case by case type of comparison. I could go out and get a bike hop on the interstate and just go anyone can ride a bike in a straight line. In the same respect I could get a bike have it for 3 years but only ride it once a week and not have much for skills.

Take a person that is just starting out on the RR and they practice practice practice they go to the track and push their limits and keep raising the bar they might have 8 months of experiance and 2000 miles on their bike but be a better rider than someone with 4 years riding or someone with 20000 miles.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Aeteocles said:
wait...have I told you the corelating story to that?

No, I just saw it in another thread

·
Registered
69 Posts
A good saying I heard years ago applied to reloading, I think fits here. Basically boils down to if you have, for example, twenty years experience or one years experience twenty times.

If you're not trying to improve or find new things to get better at, you're just droning along and will never get better. Kinda like when Larry the Cable Guy jokes that he took Spanish I for four years.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
i think you learn more in time.

i rode for well over 3k miles in the first 1.5 months i had my bike. yes i learned so much from that little time, even popped it up on one a few times. nothing big.
however, it took my near-death accident to realize my biggest mistake of all, riding alone at night on a weekend night (friday night).

if i were riding with a buddy i would've had a witness and i'd know what happened to me.....i can only speculate now since i lost about 3 hours of short term memory....

i think time is a huge factor over miles. from this experience alone i know never to ride solo on a weekend night again.

N

·
0 Posts
You could have 30,000 miles under your belt and it doesn't mean squat. For all you know those miles could have been on a straight line.

Someone else could have 5000 miles under their belt (all from track miles) and out ride the guy with 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
206 Posts
i've been riding since june05, first ever bike... first time sitting on a bike, and i've put about 5000 miles on my bike already.... but there are still situations where i get a little scared but end up figuring things out for myself...

yea you rode your bike for more miles, but did you really learn something new every mile?

practice makes perfect...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree with Bishopm14. You can take Spanish 1 four times and only have basic knowledge in those four years. Take four years and learn more each year and you'll be genuine mexican! It's like my mother who has been driving for 45yrs is dangerous behind the wheel because she couldn't care less about driving and/or cars. I'm passionate about them, take driving schools and such (drive an old ass truck though) and have only 9yrs behind the wheel. It takes time, but also the PASSION!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
or u could ride cross country and see who bitch and moans the most. that would settle things.. maybe

·
Tell me I'm cool PLEASE!
811 Posts
toekneeg said:
practice makes perfect...
Not if you're practicing the wrong things over and over.

I think it takes time and dedication. Sort of like multiplying. I learn best that when something is new, I overload myself at first, and then when I rest and come back to it my subconcious figures everything out. I learned this when I was about 7 learning to ride a po-go stick. Best I could do all friggin day was 2 bounces. And I did that at least 6hrs (I was a kid...1 hr seemed like 4 and 4 seemed like 1).
Next day, I just got on and could go for the Guiness World Record. Up and down stairs, over and onto obstacles....My cousin too, both of us.

Another guy may do something, suck at it, analyze his results and adjust. Over time he may get better. But I'm glad I know what works for me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts