Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I just want to say this bike is the dope ****. I am ecstatic. I sold my MR2 last friday, and picked up my 600rr this wendsday- A friend drove down to rochester with me, $6500 for a black 03 with 2900 miles. perfect condition, service paperwork and a $80 shop manual included.

.... It's incredible..... It is everything i expected. I cant wait to get more fluid on it. I logged <700 miles on my 84 shadow 500 before this bike... i was growing out of that bike quickly, i dont think ill ever out grow this bike....anyway- just wanted to let you know there's another proud RR owner..

But anyway the only thing i noticed that is wrong with it- the tailight is yellowed.

I have noticed this on a few pics of 600rr's online, and the only other 600rr's i have seen in person were on dealer floors, and the tailights were pristine and clear white. I dont know if it is from the exhaust heat or fumes.. or maybe both :???: --- I am sure that some of you have noticed this ... is it possible to just clean it with something ? Or do I have to replace it to get it to look new again? The tailight assembly costs 106 dollars (plus id have to wire and install it myself), and if i had to replace it once a year or more to keep it looking like new.... ehhh that would suck.

If there IS no way to get it looking nice again w/o replacing it.. is there anything you guys would reccomend for black-out covers for the tailight ? something that would resist heat obviously due to the exhaust....

Thanks

(BTW- this bike is **** ton of ******* awesome)

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
tricktape.com has covers to black it out or go euro style with the holes. pretty cheap price...not sure how it lholds up though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Congrats on the bike.

My tail light gets yellow sometimes, It just wipes right off . I wouldnt black it out man, you dont want someone to hit you and we need all the help we can get to be visible.

H

·
0 Posts
Brother the same $hit happened to mine and i was WTF....but then i found out it was from the exhaust....so i just wiped it off....i hear that Honda polish works really well

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was pretty sure that it was easily cleanable... However I just washed the bike and scrubbed the **** out of the tailight (woap and water)... it still looks the same...

It *seems like* it is the actuall tailight plastic that changed color from the heat and such... i dont want to black it out- (and if i did, i would want the light to be very visible through the dark tint) - Will i ever be able to clean it to get it to look like new? Where can I buy honda polish? Like an Autoparts store or a honda dealer?

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
It *seems like* it is the actuall tailight plastic that changed color from the heat and such... i dont want to black it out- (and if i did, i would want the light to be very visible through the dark tint) - Will i ever be able to clean it to get it to look like new? Where can I buy honda polish? Like an Autoparts store or a honda dealer?
The topic's been covered quite a few times before. (try a search). In each case, Honda Polish took care of the problem.

Any Honda dealer should carry it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
How much is this Honda Polish please? I would jsut go to the honda dealer and ask but the closest one is 60 miles away. "Yep, I'm in the boonies ;)" And they are already closed.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
It's about 5.00 - 6.00 bucks for a large spray can. But listen to them when they tell you to use the Honda cleaner! That one piece of advice will save you alot of cleaning time and aggravation. Ever try to get that chain wax off the back rim? Spray some Honda cleaner in a rag and it will melt right off! Clean the whole bike with it. Just watch your rag so you don't put chain wax on the tank or shield. Then finish it off with a good quality wax. I use a liquid wax called Super Glaze. Anyone ever heard of it? Good stuff and very easy. Pick it up at AutoZone....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts