Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright as I was getting ready to leave work today, I put my key in as usual and push in the starter and there's a click and then it stops cranking. I try pushing the starter again and nothing. No cranking at all. I thought I blew a fuse but I checked them all, including the main one under the seat (yes, the real one, not the spare) and they all looked good. My headlights come on, the tach does its thing. I'm pretty sure the fuel pump isn't priming and like I already said, the starter doesn't crank at all.

I haven't done any work on my bike in a while so I can't think of any potential damage that I may have done recently to it. This seems like it should be something simple but I've gone through the threads and nothing seemed exactly like my problem where the bike cranked once, made a clicking sound, then it wouldn't crank anymore.

·
Whoring Is What I Do
5,879 Posts
I had this happen to me, All my vitals were right except that my fuel pump wasn't kicking on. I checked my relays and tested to make sure they were gettin power. I took the bike completely apart, ran power directly to my fuel pump to make sure it was working..soon to come find out...one of my wires on my harnesses had fried, i rewired it and BAM, fuel pump kicked on and i was back on the road.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you remember which wire it was? Wiring isn't really my "thing". Was your bike cranking at all?

·
Whoring Is What I Do
5,879 Posts
Had to pull the tank cover off and flip up the fuel tank to get to the actual power wire to the fuel pump. Bike would try to fire but wouldn't, like i said, fuel pump wouldn't kick on, lights came on, tach was on, no fuel pump.

·
Whoring Is What I Do
5,879 Posts
As stupid as i was...i thought my fuel pump was bad...so i replaced it..but soon to come find out it was a wire that had shorted..god i was pissed.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Just get the battery load tested first - it is an 04 so thats a fair life.

Then follow Knightsluggers advice on how to test your recifier / regulator / stator.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, thanks for the tips so far guys. Pete, you really think it might be the battery if the fuel pump isn't priming and it won't even crank when I hit the starter? I guess I should start with the easy first anyways...

·
Registered
810 Posts
ok,
1st - what voltage is your battery giving before starting?
2nd. - what voltage is your battery giving when starting?

'Generally' a click from the starter motor' says lack of amps to me.
Now is this caused by:
1. recifier / regulator / stator issues causing your battery to go flat?
2. Battery 'old age'.
3. Other issues?

test 2, then 1 first which will then help us if it's no 3.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think I was using the correct wording so my apologies. I'm not getting any 'clicking' at all which is why I wasn't even thinking it was a battery issue. I've had dead batteries before where it tries to turn over but doesn't have the juice to do so...so I'm familiar with what that sounds like. But I'll check the voltage of the battery when I get it home from work today.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright thanks Pete. I won't be able to check till later on tonight but I'll let you know. And if my battery is good I'll start looking at the wiring like Doug said.

K

·
0 Posts
When you switch the ignition to on, do you get lights?

when you hit the start button, does your clock reset and the tach re-sweep?

any recent work or crashes/drops to disclose?

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's your battery right now. The initial clicking you got was from the starter solenoid trying to turn the starter motor but there wasnt enough juice there to kick it over. While trying to start it a couple times you drained the remaining amperage out for the starter and now it won't click. Either get a new battery or charge the one you have now. Then you need to see if the charging system is in good shape. 03/04's are notorious for having weak charging systems, something that was corrected with the 05/06 bikes. If you don't have a battery charger you can bump start your bike and go on about a 1 hour freeway ride, one with little to no idling, and this should sufficiently charge your battery, or take it to the local dealership and they'll do it for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts