Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have been riding a Ninja 250 for about a month and just passed 5000 miles. My longest 1 day trip was 800 miles halfway down through California. These trips involve using boring freeways to go from county to county hitting the twisties. I recently rode a co-worker's F4i (his first bike) around his neighborhood (only went to 80 on a desolate straight and no major twisties, playing it conservatively) and found it to be nothing like I expected - I was expecting "accidental hamfist wheelies" and whatnot; I followed the popular "don't start on a 600 sportbike" advice (still good advice, imo, although now I'm wondering if I would have been better off with the F4i off the bat, or if the 250 time is just paying off.) The tank structure on the F4i was a bit weird on the knees, also being a heavier bike than I'm used to it doesn't 'flick' as easily.

Anyway, it felt like when I switched from my 16-year-old Toyota wagon to a modern sport sedan in terms of stability and that sense of 'solid feel' and smooth power.

Now I am thinking about getting a used recent-model 600RR. From what I've researched, the main differences are a few HP (single digit?), seat comfort and body posture in favor of the F4i, insurance, and aesthetics. I prefer the look of the 600RR - when I see it, it makes me excited to ride even more. Is there anything else seriously different between the two that I should be aware of, in terms of powerband, handling, and predictability?

What's the longest ride you've done on your 600RR? Am I switching too soon to the 600 class?

·
Registered
445 Posts
600rr's comfort is in the eye of the beholder. I think F4is are pretty universally comfortable. I was pretty uncomfortable on my friend's RR, but am totally comfortable on my RC51. I wouldn't think the ergos would be that different between the two, but that's how it felt. My friend rode his 600rr for 3.5 hours once, about 175 miles, and hated life for the next couple days. I'm sure plenty of people have ridden much further than that on the RR. I rode my F4i for 8 once and the only side affects i felt were some slight tingles from all the vibrations. I had no problems riding the F4i for ever.
The main differences i felt between the bikes were the ergos. I felt more like i was sitting on top of the RR, whereas on the F4i i felt like i was sitting kind of down in it. I prefer the on top feeling for aggressive riding. They're both great bikes, it's just that the F4i is pretty comfortable, and the RR might not be. I say, get the RR, get a corbin if the seat bothers you, and get some angle adjustable clipons.
You'll be pretty happy with either one i imagine, but you can probably come to a decision based on what you want the bike for. If you're going to be traveling pretty long distances i'd say F4i. If it's strictly twisties for you, then RR.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
F4i is very comfortable motorcycle. i never listen to that "start with 600cc bike". I started with 97 CBR F3 and so far I never droped it except for the time when I forgot the front wheel lock. The longest ride I had was coming back from southern virginia and it was about 300 - 400 miles long. I was so tired and I thought I was going to faint.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine has only been about 500 miles. Had to take a couple breaks due to a sore bum. I'm currently planning a trip to South Dakota here in the near future. I think a seat upgrade would be in order before hand though.

·
fast03600rr
9,995 Posts
i rode 955miles from north dakota to indiana last week. took 18 hours, sucked and i will never ride my bike that far again.

·
Registered
321 Posts
my buddy who owned my RR before me rode the bike from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. He sed he had to get off every now and then and stretch. He also sed his back was in pain after the ride. If your gonna be doing a lot of commuting I suggest you get the f4i. If they ever improve the looks of the f4 I might even consider trading for that since I mostly commute.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i've ridden my F4i for 5 hours straight on small 2 lane highways. hurt the first hour, but after that i was good to go for as long as i wanted. SiFactor and I are planning an Iron Butt ride (1k miles in <24 hours) here soon. i'll let ya know how that goes.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Cruised from Atlanta to Daytona, 9 hrs, all freeway, no real issues. We would hook up with different cars now and then and tag along, or get on it for awhile. Keeps you alert when your cruise'n over the speed limit constantly looking for the five-O. Stretch at each gas up and your good to go.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Longest would probably be ~10 hours with breaks every hr or two. Riding varied from twisties and elevation changes to a little freeway riding. Biggest complaint would be my butt and throttle hand numbness (on freeways). A Corbin and a lil weight set should help that.
If the rr makes you cream yourself, then go with that; don't settle for anything less.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I've done a 365 mile ride couple weekends ago-almost all twisties! man was I tired at the end of that...

the F4i is probably more comfortable, more upright (relatively) but is just as capable. The hp difference isnt enough to make a slow rider faster than a fast rider. An F4i will keep up with an RR just fine 99% of the time. I suspect they will be very close in terms of insurance cost too.

You did good starting on the 250-you will see the benefits of starting on a smaller displacement bike more clearly later on when you start riding with others on 600's...

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
pantablo said:
I've done a 365 mile ride couple weekends ago-almost all twisties! man was I tired at the end of that...

the F4i is probably more comfortable, more upright (relatively) but is just as capable. The hp difference isnt enough to make a slow rider faster than a fast rider. An F4i will keep up with an RR just fine 99% of the time. I suspect they will be very close in terms of insurance cost too.

You did good starting on the 250-you will see the benefits of starting on a smaller displacement bike more clearly later on when you start riding with others on 600's...
that is it exactly, time spent on smaller bike goes a long way to making you a complete rider sooner...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.