Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as the title states I'm looking for recommendations on how to protect my bike the most efficiently at the track or just in general.

I want to install protection products before I start worrying about upping performance. I currently have Woodcraft frame sliders on my '07.

Would engine case cover or clutch cover be unnecessary with these sliders or should I try and get some? clip-on sliders? Post up your top 5 recommended upgrades so I can save my bike a bit for when the worse happens! Thanks in advance:retard:

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,759 Posts
all you need is case covers, maybe delrin bar ends if you're so inclined, but clip ons tend to bend when they touch down anyway.

you can do axle sliders but they won't really do a whole lot, a couple scuffs on a fork bottom on a race bike isn't a big deal, your money is better spent on tires.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Top 5 ok Theres only 3 I would consider mandatory I would go as far to say that your only need these 3! Like wibbly said Swingarms and fork sliders dont seem to do much imo. If your at risk of crashing these are what I recommend OEM fairings are worth to much to crash in and track fairings are cheap and you can resell them with ease. Even if you crash and there all patched up. Frame slider speak for them selves and there cheap. Case covers are sooo worth it! Ive cracked one block all ready from a stupid slow low side. If you crash your engine is going to slide across the asphalt get some case covers.

Frame sliders
Track fairings
Case covers I have gb racing

·
OG
3,350 Posts
^
Well said.

I'll add this....

Woodcraft>GB Racing>R&G on the case covers.

I've bought/handled them all. The Woodcraft are metal, GB is a thick nylon, R&G a more flimsy nylon.

Since there are two more choices, I'll add this:

Get a steering damper and chalk it up as safety equipment. These bikes don't come with one, and you'll need one as your skills improve. WOT on imperfect asphalt could trigger a tankslapper that will be far less easy to recover from, if you don't have a damper. Honestly, all 600's should have them.

Lastly, invest in the best gear you can afford. The difference in a few hundred dollars here or there is the difference between walking away or being airlifted out.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I think there are a couple things to consider in what you're trying to protect. Function, cosmetics, or both? Frame sliders and case covers are kind of like belt & suspenders. Both keep the bike from grinding on it's side. Case covers wont keep your fairing from being destroyed but that's not their point. Those are for racers where it's more expected for the bike to go down regularly. The bodywork is a consumable item for them. They want to protect the engine from damage so they can tape up or slap some new bodywork on and keep riding. For a pretty painted & waxed street bike case covers won't help you from a big fix it bill. Sliders will keep the whole bike off the ground unless it's a roll over or it slides into another object. Frame sliders can fail though in high speed or particularly violent slams. So the question is, what sort of protection do you want or need?

IMO, for a street bike I'd go with frame and axle sliders front and back. That'll keep all the shiny bits from rash in tip overs & moderate slides.

For a track bike I'd go with case covers, track plastics, then spares of rearsets, clip ons, & levers.

·
Registered
718 Posts
^
Well said.

I'll add this....

Woodcraft>GB Racing>R&G on the case covers.

I've bought/handled them all. The Woodcraft are metal, GB is a thick nylon, R&G a more flimsy nylon.

Since there are two more choices, I'll add this:

Get a steering damper and chalk it up as safety equipment. These bikes don't come with one, and you'll need one as your skills improve. WOT on imperfect asphalt could trigger a tankslapper that will be far less easy to recover from, if you don't have a damper. Honestly, all 600's should have them.

Lastly, invest in the best gear you can afford. The difference in a few hundred dollars here or there is the difference between walking away or being airlifted out.

He has an 07 so he has HESD. 03-06 I recommend an Ohlin's though

·
Registered
433 Posts
im currently converting my bike to a track bike, that said; i ordered front and rear axle sliders, frame sliders and case covers and just got done installing race fairings. these things will greatly reduce the likely hood of ugly and expensive damages, but wont COMPLETELY protect your bike in the case of a crash

·
Registered
829 Posts
I just bought Woodcraft case covers for my 03. They look and feel so nice. Haven't put them on yet though. Also have woodcraft bar ends and cut sliders. I really like the bar ends because the screws they send you will thread directly into my stock bar weights. All woodcraft crash protection seems to have been very well thought out because they designed wear items into each piece. You can replace the delrin parts of the bar ends and sliders without having to replace the hard parts they mount to. Case covers also have a replaceable skid pad. The design of the replaceable parts also prevents the mounting screws from having the head ground down in the event of a crash.

Aftermarket rearsets do provide some crash protection as well. My Vortex rearsets have replaceable pegs that will help keep the bike off the ground. Could possibly cause it to catch and flip in the right circumstances, but there are a lot of things that could do that.

Only item I have experience with in a crash are my Shogun swingarm spools. They held up fairly well, but I think it may have bent the spool mount just a little bit, so I could definitely see a harder crash ripping a hole in the swingarm. I was going to switch to R&G rear axle sliders to prevent the spools from hitting first in the future, but the rear axle slider on the right side doesn't stick out far enough to prevent that.

My second crash bent my stock clip-ons, so buying aftermarket will make repairing cheaper as you only have to replace the bar not the mount.

Something nobody else has mentioned yet is a radiator guard. I don't know how important that is for track people but the condition of my current radiator made it a must have for my replacement radiator on a street bike.

·
Registered
874 Posts
If your at risk of crashing these are what I recommend OEM fairings are worth to much to crash in and track fairings are cheap and you can resell them with ease.
^ THIS ^

You can buy a set very cheap and get it in any color you want, custom paint, etc. There are tons of companies that offer it. Even if you crash on them you can still get about 30% of your invested money out of them as long as they are not too bad. Either way, it's the best way to go.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
^ THIS ^

You can buy a set very cheap and get it in any color you want, custom paint, etc. There are tons of companies that offer it. Even if you crash on them you can still get about 30% of your invested money out of them as long as they are not too bad. Either way, it's the best way to go.
Seriously im taking my oem fairings off my next bike as soon as i purchase it. Optimal racing has race body work for like 500 shipped to your house. It also comes off so much quicker with a couple dzus fasteners.

Also other people can disagree but case covers for any bike imo. Engines are 2 expensive and timely to repair or replace. If you replace it your self youll be down at least a week min more like a month if youve never done it before. By the time you pick it out off ebay and it finally arrives.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Id personally take gb over woodcraft case covers or rg. I like that its a thick nylon/plastic. Wood craft is metal idk what kind but i think it wouldn't absorb the impact like gb.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok... going to go with case protectors. I'll research the companies more and do some calculations on t heir designs.
I'm a beginner so I want to get more experience before a mechanical damper, that way I can appreciate the damper more and learn my limits.

I'm also going to look into track fairings, I'm assuming you guys mean stuff other than the $600 that I see people trick their bikes out with?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Id personally take gb over woodcraft case covers or rg. I like that its a thick nylon/plastic. Wood craft is metal idk what kind but i think it wouldn't absorb the impact like gb.
just got a set of the gb covers and am really impressed with the quality, really nice product

I'm also going to look into track fairings, I'm assuming you guys mean stuff other than the $600 that I see people trick their bikes out with?
cycle sector has optimal race fairings on sale right now for a really good deal. PM Disco on here and he will hook you up

·
Registered
718 Posts
They make an HRC damper for the 07+ models. It's same design but does away with the electronic variable that decreases damping at low speeds.

Well this I did not know. I want :O

·
Registered
718 Posts

Theyre aluminum, the slider part can also be aluminum or steel, depending on your pick. I like to believe these are less about absorbing crash impact and more about slide protection. but the impact would be dispersed over a greater range with woodcraft at the cost of weight.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Theyre aluminum, the slider part can also be aluminum or steel, depending on your pick. I like to believe these are less about absorbing crash impact and more about slide protection. but the impact would be dispersed over a greater range with woodcraft at the cost of weight.

There supposed to be about slide protection i believe as well but before any crash theres a bang when the case cover hits. Honestly its a gamble no matter what anyone does. The woodcraft prolly does disperse the impact better but adds no cushion as its metal on metal. The GB would do the opposite in my mind.

Its all luck of the draw tho

·
Registered
718 Posts
There supposed to be about slide protection i believe as well but before any crash theres a bang when the case cover hits. Honestly its a gamble no matter what anyone does. The woodcraft prolly does disperse the impact better but adds no cushion as its metal on metal. The GB would do the opposite in my mind.

Its all luck of the draw tho

In a low side case which is hopefully what you're going through the impact isn't going to be so rough that the plastic is going to help prevent the engine from absorbing the damage. In the case of a high side you got bigger problems to worry about rather then the covers.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Much like knowing what exact safety gear you should be wearing, if you know ahead of time what kind of accident you are going to have you know what the right sliders and guards are you should install.

If you don't, the best you can do is install what makes sense and try to minimize the expensive and catastrophic damage buying what your budget allows you to guard. Plastic, aluminum, carbon fiber, it all can fail in certain circumstances and guard perfectly well in others. I've personally used what good privateer race teams use and race part companies offer: they are the ones trying to stay on the track with minimum down time.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes, and I'm not discounting any of the parts I'm just speaking in terms of material strength. All of the brands mentions have proven their product works, or they wouldn't still be in business. It comes down to rider preference.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts