Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went riding yesterday in north jersey on 287 interstate highway, cruising at about 70mph and a rock (about the size of a 50cent piece) came up from a vehicle in front of me. Hit the wind screen (Zero Gravity Double Bubble) and it shattered into about 4 pieces leaving sharp edges - - - - IMO this is extremely dangerous and possibly fatal if you were to get into an accident. One piece hit my jacket (Joe Rocket Mesh) and ripped a small gash into it and a small scrape on my arm.

This is just an FYI for those of you who are looking for a windscreen or who already have one!!!

Pictures will follow!!!!!

Once I took the screws out the screen broke into 3 pieces (the one piece was out on the road somewhere)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Stones have some force, my mate put a hole thru my other mates r1's nose cone, funny for us...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Dude...A rock the size you are describing woul;d kill any windscreen.....Nothing about the ZG's Quality is an Issue here.
Your lucky it didnt hit your visor....You could have been bitching about how may pieces that was in and telling us about the cuts on your cheeks or worse..your eyes.
I say you are lucky.

I've had stock Screens,ZG,Puig and LP...By far the LP was the worst quality....ZG's are nice for the money..but none are shatter proof..only resistant....and it did just that...broke..not shatter.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Some things you can't avoid and it isn't gonna matter which brand screen you have. They are not bullet proof by any means. Most claim that the Puig is the most sturdy. I have the Puig DB and it is pretty damn thick.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
damn that sounds scary

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe that it's the material they are made of. I'm going to take a spare STOCK screen and see what happens when I hit it with a hammer.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
The same thing happened to me.. well sorta. I was going triple digits on an interstate highway and somehow a nice sized chunk of asphalt got kicked up.. by the time I saw it there was no way to avoid it and it went right through my windscreen and hit my chest. I was wearing a leather jacket but the wind still got knocked out of me. They won't give you any sort of discount either.. I already tried. :(

But you're making it into a pretty big deal.. I don't see how it's life threatening at all. All it means is either you have a perfect place to mount a camera, or time to buy a new windscreen lol..

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
I have a Puig on my bike but my friend says he has cracked a few of them. I’m sure there all about the same, maybe some are better than others but…

I just bought a Fabbri for my 1098, quality is nice.

Jason

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you think about it, its like hitting a very small wall

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
Dude...A rock the size you are describing woul;d kill any windscreen.....Nothing about the ZG's Quality is an Issue here.
Your lucky it didnt hit your visor....You could have been bitching about how may pieces that was in and telling us about the cuts on your cheeks or worse..your eyes.
I say you are lucky.

I've had stock Screens,ZG,Puig and LP...By far the LP was the worst quality....ZG's are nice for the money..but none are shatter proof..only resistant....and it did just that...broke..not shatter.
thats what im thinking.. hahaha

·
Jack Daniels is my bff
1,985 Posts
Sucks, youre lucky it hit the windscreen and not your headlight or fairing. Ive seen rocks that size put huge cracks in car wind sheilds. Some of those rocks get spit back by truck/car tires and are flying at you at crazy speeds you cant expect a plastic windsheld to stop it.

·
Why isn't this an option? Why man, why?
2,641 Posts
the size of a 50 cent piece?!?!?! holly crap man! your lucky you didn't get knocked off of your bike! 70 mph is pretty fast even if that rock is in the air just standing there, if it's coming towards you that is even worse!!! lucky lucky man.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Based on the bruise on my arm the rock was 1 inch long by 1/2 wide, so maybe it wasn't the size of a 50 cent piece, but it was still a decent size.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts