Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever swap rims from another manufacturer? My mechanic, also ex racer, said there's a good chance rims from dif manufacturers would work. Maybe some adjustment in the spacers, adding a washer etc.
Specifically from an 03 636 to an 05/06 cbr600rr. I have a set of rims from my old track bike. Looking at buying 05/06 cbr600rr. Would be great if I could use those as a spare set.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,794 Posts
You can make anything fit so long as you are willing to modify.

This could include new bearings, spacers, possibly even machining mating surfaces on the wheels.

Is it worth doing? It depends on what's required. Start taking measurements.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Rotor standoff dimensions won't match and unlike axial brakes, radial brakes can't be moved in space laterally. Even if one could, you start playing with static tension and loads when you add or remove space and that just seems like problems waiting to happen.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,794 Posts
Rotor standoff dimensions won't match and unlike axial brakes, radial brakes can't be moved in space laterally. Even if one could, you start playing with static tension and loads when you add or remove space and that just seems like problems waiting to happen.
you just space the rotors to suit. out is easy with spacers, in is more difficult with machining.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
you just space the rotors to suit. out is easy with spacers, in is more difficult with machining.
I would need assurances that those modifications wouldn't introduce material fatigue into the parts; many rotors also brace against the hub of the wheel itself, standoffs would change how force is distributed into the braking system. It may be perfectly fine; I don't know enough about engineering to say, but when it comes to the front wheel and braking I'd want it to be as sorted as possible. :cruising:

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,794 Posts
Well think about it this way.

The Yamaha mgp bikes attach their rotors to the wheel with three bolts. Its pretty safe to say that the six each we have is a little bit over kill

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input folks. I'll see what it will take once I get the bike. Looking at the 05 CBR600RR.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts