How To: GP Shifting w/ Stock Rearsets - 600RR.net
03 / 06 RR This forum is dedicated to all the How to write ups for 03 to 06 RR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How To: GP Shifting w/ Stock Rearsets

I've searched several threads about switching over to GP shifting and wanted to try and compile the information I found. Today I switched my shifter over to GP style. You will have to remove the front sprocket cover for clearance. You will not need to use zip-ties for the water hose or anything else. The clearances between the shifter arm, the water hose, and the chain are close, but they will fit without conflicts.

Here's what you'll need:

Tools

(1) 8mm socket
(2) 10mm open end wrenches (Your tool kit has one)

First thing you'll need to do is mark the current shifter position. Take a piece of masking tape and tape it to the frame behind the shifter. Mark the tape where the shifter is located. Now remove the front sprocket cover and guide plate by removing the (2) 8mm bolts. (Note the punch mark on the spindle.) Take this opportunity to clean the front sprocket and chain.

Next take your (2) 10mm wrenches and break each lock nut loose, top and bottom, on the linkage rod. (Reverse threading) Run each universal joint out about 3/8" to start with and snug the locknuts. (Don't run the threads out too far on the linkage rod.) Lengthening the rod will make it closer to your original shifter location when you flip the gearshift arm around. Now remove the 10mm pinch bolt on the shifter arm and pull the linkage rod off the spindle.

Unclip the Throttle Stop Screw Knob from the clamp. Pull the clamp off the water hose and move it behind the overflow tubes. Then reclip the Screw Knob back onto the clamp.

Finally reinstall the guide plate and (2) 8mm bolts. I used (2) 3/8" nuts as spacers to make up for the space of the cover plate (The picture below doesn't show them). Reverse the gearshift arm and flip the universal joint around. Remount the linkage rod back onto the spindle as close to 180 from the punch mark. Now spin the linkage rod up or down to match your original shifter location. Tighten the locknuts on the linkage rod and

That's it! You're all done!

It took me longer to write this then it will for you to actually do this. Very easy! Just be sensible and don't wear loose clothing with the sprocket cover removed. Jeans, riding pants, or your leathers and you should be fine. Slacks or dress pants are not advisable!

**Thanks to Squidkid for the inspiration (and the picture) to post this.

The Following User Says Thank You to NewRedRider For This Useful Post:
MvLace15 (04-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 09:50 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
excellent write up. You will get many props on this one.

2006 Evolution IX MR Rally Red
post #3 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 10:54 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
awesome... might give this a try.

post #4 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 59 reviews
sorry but this is a total noob question but how is the gp shift better

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
post #5 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any disadvantage to removing the sprocket cover? More dirt? Dirty chain? More chain wear? Getting a piece of clothing stuck in there?
post #6 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjanick
Any disadvantage to removing the sprocket cover? More dirt? Dirty chain? More chain wear? Getting a piece of clothing stuck in there?
I know a lot of people are concerned about this but allow me to point out a few things. Do you realize how much dirt and oil/lube build up inside that cover? Most people will never even bother to take it off and clean the front sprocket until it's worn out. With it off you can now see the sprocket (like the rear) and clean it when neccesary. Furthermore, what's the difference in the front sprocket being exposed and the rear? I can't see any. I have over 18k miles on the original chain and sprocket and this is the first time I've taken off my front cover. There wasn't as much build-up as I had imagined but it was still overdue for cleaning.

As far as clothing, I can't say it's impossible but highly unlikely that something would get caught in the sprocket. Your leg sits behind the sprocket and not right next to it. Plus, for those stupid enough to wear loose clothing with the sprocket cover off, the wind blows any loose clothing away from the sprocket. So I think the fear of the cover being off shouldn't be the thing stopping you from trying this. Wear your boots like you're supposed to!

post #7 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBuck
sorry but this is a total noob question but how is the gp shift better
Have you ever bounced off the rev limiter in a left hander because you couldn't get your foot under the shifter? Now you bang down. Some people like it because they feel they can shift better pushing down instead of pulling up.

post #8 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Training Wheel Hero

nice write up, i'm going to try it .THANKS

Had A Harley
post #9 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 01:50 AM
afb
Pocketbike Racer

wow...i never even imagined this. is that how GP bikes really shift? and how long does it take to learn the opposite of what you're used to?
post #10 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afb
wow...i never even imagined this. is that how GP bikes really shift? and how long does it take to learn the opposite of what you're used to?
For me, it wasn't near as bad as I had imagined. But I did catch myself trying to start off in 2nd more than once. Just take it easy for awhile until your muscle memory builds up.

post #11 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 08:24 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

hey i didnt see this. Great job on the write up. 4000 miles on the GP shift and no problems
post #12 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Moto GP Racer

excellent write-up..thanks

05 Black- Devil SB2, BMC Race, FP v-stacks, Sportbike Creations FE, Clear Alt., Puig DB, Clear Greggs, Pazzo blk/blk shorties -Dynoed w/only slip-on 102.5hp/42.6tq

http://www.myspace.com/18284823
post #13 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidKid
hey i didnt see this. Great job on the write up. 4000 miles on the GP shift and no problems
I thought you were riding with us today? What the hell are you doing on here! Stay out too late?

post #14 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 01:50 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 59 reviews
yeah i don think i want to build my memory up on that i dont hav emuch space left jk but i dont ride hard enough yet first season mybe after i get a race bike and am not afaid to lay it down

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
post #15 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 01:58 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
sweet! thanks

-Charlie
post #16 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 02:18 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Cool write-up. On GP-shift as a whole, though: I get the whole "it's difficult to get your foot under the shift-lever on a tight left-hander" thing. But consider this: You never go up the box as quickly as you go down it. I mean, if you're accelerating out of a corner, the up-shifts are not as close together as the down-shifts are when you come screaming into a corner braking like a savage. So it would seem logical to have the downshifts like they are now, where you can just "tap-tap-tap" on the lever to drop from 5th to 2nd before you peel into the corner. Or is that just me?
post #17 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by proze
Cool write-up. On GP-shift as a whole, though: I get the whole "it's difficult to get your foot under the shift-lever on a tight left-hander" thing. But consider this: You never go up the box as quickly as you go down it. I mean, if you're accelerating out of a corner, the up-shifts are not as close together as the down-shifts are when you come screaming into a corner braking like a savage. So it would seem logical to have the downshifts like they are now, where you can just "tap-tap-tap" on the lever to drop from 5th to 2nd before you peel into the corner. Or is that just me?
Well think of it this way. Where do you need to be the fastest in your shifting? Upshifting (Accelerating)! Not downshifting (Decelerating). I find that GP shifting is much faster going through the gears especially if you're clutchless shifting. I see no difference in "downshifting" speeds.

post #18 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:32 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

good writeup I did it yesterday, The only thing that I did different was I used some zipties to kinda keep everything out of the way.

Vaep0r
05 600RR Silver, w/ black tribal graphics
PC3 usb
Stainless, Yoshimura RS-5
15t renthal front sprocket
K&N Filter
Pazzo Short Levers
Harris Grips
Harris Tank Pad
Led Peg Turn Sigs, courtesy of Tripage
Fendereliminator Flushmount front sigs
Vortex Swingarm Spools

http://sportbikes.meetup.com/200/

www.orlandocycleriders.com

"wit, is educated insolence" - socrates
post #19 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 10:58 PM
LT.
Training Wheel Hero

i already snap my shifter up to fast and hard already. not worth it to me. going to start and find shavings in your filters where you are mashing the pedle down to hard and takind off some metal on the gears. like the post though. just dont like the idea personally

current rides

03' cbr600rr just got 8/10/05
5500miles ran over 8/19/05
mudguard eliminator kit installed
97' gsxr600
post #20 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT.
i already snap my shifter up to fast and hard already. not worth it to me. going to start and find shavings in your filters where you are mashing the pedle down to hard and takind off some metal on the gears. like the post though. just dont like the idea personally
I can't see that happening. Your not using anymore pressure one way or the other. It's not like I'm jumping on the shifter.

post #21 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Righty, I did this tonight and have a question: The linkage rod is now *bloody* close to the countershaft sprocket!! About 6-8mm, I would estimate. Are you guys okay with that?! I know it shouldn't ever make contact, but what if it does?!
post #22 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by proze
Righty, I did this tonight and have a question: The linkage rod is now *bloody* close to the countershaft sprocket!! About 6-8mm, I would estimate. Are you guys okay with that?! I know it shouldn't ever make contact, but what if it does?!
I know what you mean. That's why I said that the tolerances were close but acceptable. If it makes you nervous just check it often to make sure it's not making contact with the front sprocket. I've checked mine several times and it's not hitting.

post #23 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Knee Dragger

i switched my bike to gp-shift the first day I had it. But I've never taken the sprocket cover off (bike is only a few months old and haven't done 520 conversion yet). Never saw a reason for it. Zip-tied the heater hose out of the way and never had a problem. I'm not looking at the bike, but I believe my linkage is on the outside and not the inside like you have shown.
post #24 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 02:24 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox
...never taken the sprocket cover off ... Zip-tied the heater hose out of the way and never had a problem. ...my linkage is on the outside and not the inside like you have shown.
+1
'tis all good
post #25 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 03:49 PM
Pocketbike Racer

That stock gp shifting looks wierd to me. Vortex all the way!

Boaz "A.K.A" Goat Boy
CCS #359

post #26 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Garage
How can you beat free GP shifting? Shifts great! Unless you need rear sets for your feet or legs, you can put that money somewhere esle.

post #27 of 206 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 09:23 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 62 reviews
just finished the modify for the gp shifting. Wonderful tips.
post #28 of 206 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 04:48 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

why the heck do stock bikes shift the way they do. Why can't they come with GP shift stock? Any one know?
post #29 of 206 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvlvr
why the heck do stock bikes shift the way they do. Why can't they come with GP shift stock? Any one know?
Because years ago when every manufacturer had their own way of mounting the controls, the powers that be said..."Standardize this sh!t!" Ok..maybe not exactly like that. But the standard was set at 1 down/5 up, throttle on the right, clutch on the left, etc...

post #30 of 206 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 03:50 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

i tried this last night and had second thoughts when i took my sprocket cover off.... i dont want all the chain lube thrown onto my engine... so i just put it back how it was. i did adjust the shifter up a little bit higher and that helps get your foot underneath it easier and to me it feels better.

Redfox, how did you get yours on there like you said because i tried that and for one my linkage isnt long enough i dont think and for two the hose was in the way like you said. what did you zip tie it to? do you have an 05 like me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page