Ever since I got my bike I’ve wanted to retrofit the lights. The asymmetry of the low beam only being on one side annoyed my OCD side and I loved how a set of projectors could make the 600RR headlights look like a pair of angry eyes. While at university I never had the time and money to undertake the project to the standard I wanted but as a graduate it is a different story and this is a writeup of the process that I used while putting my engineering degree to good use.
Despite there being kits available for the 600RR, I felt that I wanted to use a particular set of top end components for various reasons. I dislike the method of mounting a projector by a single point at the back of the bowl and felt that bolting it in would be more secure and eliminate the need to manually align the cutoff. I wanted to use LED halos as they are brighter and more durable while also not requiring inverters which would need to be hidden behind fairings. I also didn’t want to add any aftermarket switches to my bike.
Here is a before shot of the bike on the day I bought it.
Parts that I used in my retrofit:
- Morimoto MiniH1 6.0 projectors.
- Mini Gatling Shrouds.
- White TRS xBALED halos.
- 5000K XB35 bulbs.
- TRS dual H7 sportbike harness.
- VW headlight relay P/N: 111-941-583.
- Laser cut mounting brackets.
- M4 nuts, bolts and washers.
The first thing I wanted to do was to flush mount the angel eyes in the projector shrouds. To do this, I enlarged the opening of the shroud to suit with a dremel and round file to tidy up.
(Left is original, right is modified.)
I then filed in a notch for the angel eye wiring and rubbed back, primed and sprayed the shrouds satin black.
I used Blu Tack to hold the angel eyes in place before using epoxy to attach them to the shroud. It is important to use high temp epoxy so that the heat from the HID bulbs doesn’t melt it.
You can also see 4 places inside the shroud where I have dremelled a little material out. This is to make room for some bolt heads. I decided that I would replace the bolts that held the lens of the projector to the bowl with longer ones that could be used for attaching the projector to the mounting plate too. The heads of my replacement bolts were slightly larger than the original ones though which necessitated the grinding of the shrouds.
In the quest for making the whole process as bolt together as possible, I spent quite a bit of time designing an aluminium mounting bracket which could be laser cut and powdercoated. I used black fasteners which have shown up gold in this photo.
When I mounted everything up for a test fit I was disappointed to notice that I could still see the bolts attaching the projector to the bracket under the shroud. To fix this I got some PVC pipe and made up a ring to extend the shroud. This was then also painted.
Test fitting now things looked much neater. I should note that I heatshrinked all of the wires black later on.