So I was looking at the TST Industries Fender Eliminator for my 600RR which was around $55AUD to get it shipped here from the US. After looking at the design, I decided to have a crack at making one myself. Having a look through forums thereís been a few DIY ones however none that I actually liked or looked too cheap (props to those that went the DIY route).
I wanted mine to look more like the TST Industries one so made a quick trip to my local Bunnings store to purchase some supplies. I bought a Carinya Mending Plate
and some M5 x 12mm stainless steel screws which were labelled as marine grade. Total cost for both products was $8.45! The plate size for here in QLD is 185mm x 100mm so I got one slightly larger to make room for error.
I measured my number plate against the mending plate, and marked where to cut it to make it the same shape as the TST one. If I had my dremel I would have used that, but used a grinder instead to cut the steel. After I cut it I then bent it the same as what the TST one is and measured it on the bike.
After that, I drilled two holes into the battery tray to mount the bracket and bolted it up. Between the battery tray and bracket I placed some small o-rings over the bolt to help seal up the two holes I drilled and added some loctite on the screws.
With the off cuts of the steel I made two small brackets for the indicators and bolted them up to where the previous fender was bolted to. I re-routed all the wiring and connected it all up and used the stock number plate light I had for now (a little LED one) however ordered 2 LED bolts for $3 to go on the number plate to replace it with.
So all in all, I managed to fabricate a cheap TST Industries style bracket for $11! Thatís a saving of $44 and it looks awesome. Iíve been for a few rides and it has held up quite well, being only 1mm thick steel it is quite strong, also checked to make sure it cleared the rear hugger too under load.